Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What will Thatcher be remembered for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The fact that Britain was an much better, economically stronger, globally respected place in 1990 than it was in 1979.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Foreign Firms buying out most of the country? Its called competition, you know the thing that allows us to get competitive prices, create jobs, and not allow the state a monopoly on any industry.
    Except a large proportion of our energy infrastructure has been renationalized. Just by the French, since EDF is the UK's biggest electricity generator.

I don't think there's much significant competition in the energy market, it's an oligopoly -- only six big companies -- in which prices are kept artificially high.

ReputationRep:
    The right reasons. The overall economy and foreign policy always go down as legacy. She will be seen as divisive but necessary. No one will care about the milk.

ReputationRep:
    She will be remembered as one of the greatest women in human history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faber niger)
    Except a large proportion of our energy infrastructure has been renationalized. Just by the French, since EDF is the UK's biggest electricity generator.

I don't think there's much significant competition in the energy market, it's an oligopoly -- only six big companies -- in which prices are kept artificially high.
    Nothing a bit of competition legislation can't take care of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Poll Tax. Attempts to crush unions. Pit closures. Wapping. Class Warfare. Record unemployment. Mass poverty. Hillsborough cover up. Or being friends with the freak Saville maybe?
    Well, when the country is stuck between a rock and hard place, almost bankrupted by the previous government and cripped by unions, you must take the tough decisions and do what is right for the country.

So either you continue pouring hundreds of millions of pounds (more than a billion pounds in todays terms) of subsidy money each year into the black hole that was the NCB until the money ran out altogther and the miners would still have lost their jobs in the end when the subsidy money ran out and the mines had to close, however you find you have bankrupted the country AND the miners don't have jobs...

Or you do what any business owner does when your business is no longer economical to run - that unfortunately you will have to cut back the unprofitable parts of the business (uneconomic pits) so those that are still economic may prosper.

All the above ignores the fact that Harold Wilson closed more coalmines than Thatcher.

Some notable events from 1978:

Unemployment at a postwar high of 1,500,000

West Midlands motorcycle manufacturer Norton Villiers Triumph is liquidated.

16 January - The firefighters strike ends after three months when firefighters accept an offer of a 10% pay rise and reduced working hours.

30 January - Opposition leader Margaret Thatcher says that many Britons fear being "swamped by people with a different culture".

25 May - Liberal Party leader David Steel announces that the Lib-Lab pact will be dissolved at the end of the current Parliamentary session by mutual consent, leaving Britain with a minority Labour government.

26 September - 23 Ford car plants are closed across Britain due to strikes.

10 November - Panic buying of bread stops as most bakers go back to work.

30 November - An industrial dispute closes down The Times newspaper for a year.

And for 1979:

5 January - Lorry drivers go on strike, causing new shortages of heating oil and fresh food.

15 January - Rail workers begin a 24-hour strike.

22 January - Tens of thousands of public-workers strike in the beginning of what becomes known as the "Winter of Discontent"

12 February - Over 1,000 schools close due to the heating oil shortage caused by the lorry drivers' strike.

National Health Service workers in the West Midlands threaten to go on strike in their bid to win a nine per cent pay rise

28 March - James Callaghan's government loses a motion of confidence by one vote, forcing a general election.

Fancy that - the trade union movement getting a Tory Government into power and, now, the selective indignation by claiming that the one person who actually saved Britain was the one who wrecked its industry. Impossible - Labour and its paymasters in the unions had already done it!

Regarding Jimmy Savile, how unlike the left to stoop to the level of smear tactics, I could just as well find a picture of him with many other national figures before his descent into infamy - these two look like they're having a good time:

so do these two:

ReputationRep:
    free market Witchcraft & privatization poison

also conscious class war and the moment when middle class officially betrayed the working class and hidden in the shadow of their bourgeois masters ever since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karla_Steinbach)

also conscious class war and the moment when middle class officially betrayed the working class and hidden in the shadow of their bourgeois masters ever since
    What a shame she had a plurality of Working Class vote....

ReputationRep:
    Saving Britain from the enemies we faced both from without and within.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Poll Tax. Attempts to crush unions. Pit closures. Wapping. Class Warfare. Record unemployment. Mass poverty. Hillsborough cover up. Or being friends with the freak Saville maybe?
    Of that, probably about two. Do you really think, for example, that anyone who isn't a football supporter will give two hoots about Hillsborough in a generation's time? I love the Wapping story, but I don't imagine anyone young who isn't politically active would be able to tell you a single thing about it.

I imagine her imagine will oddly enough soften over time and her exceptions and inconsistencies (saving some industrial sites on a purely ad hoc basis, for example) will become more widely considered. Equally I think the knee-jerk idiotic anti-Thatcherism will die off relatively quickly.

ReputationRep:

I have said this many times since Monday but I really do not think you know what was going on in this country in the 70s.
    You'll find that the 'Working Class' voted for her in 1979 and 1983. They probably did this because the trade unions prevented the working class from well, er, working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I have said this many times since Monday but I really do not think you know what was going on in this country in the 70s.
    You'll find that the 'Working Class' voted for her in 1979 and 1983. They probably did this because the trade unions prevented the working class from well, er, working.
    I am pretty familiar with British history and I see 1979 election as the regress of progressive civilization and as economist I find it laughable how much credit is given to Iron Lady for the so-called economic success.

The reality is that 1980s global capitalism's manure for its fertility was nothing else than the computer/electronic boom known as the III Industrial Revolution. Privatization had nothing to do with it except creating oligarchy. Even if you had Foot in power the UK would still have benefitted from similar boom due to the 1980s innovation of computing irrevocably transforming the world. The only difference would be that the wealth would not be culminated with the hope of its trickle down but redistributed more directly. If Baroness was to rule Britain at the time of Heath, the Lady would be for turning (or simply voted out by 74).

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty familiar with British history and I see 1979 election as the regress of progressive civilization and as economist I find it laughable how much credit is given to Iron Lady for the so-called economic success.

The reality is that 1980s global capitalism's manure for its fertility was nothing else than the computer/electronic boom known as the III Industrial Revolution. Privatization had nothing to do with it except creating oligarchy. Even if you had Foot in power the UK would still have benefitted from similar boom due to the 1980s innovation of computing irrevocably transforming the world. The only difference would be that the wealth would not be culminated with the hope of its trickle down but redistributed more directly. If Baroness was to rule Britain at the time of Heath, the Lady would be for turning (or simply voted out by 74).
    Would Callaghan and/ or Foot ever been able to tame the Unions? Not when the Labour party are financed by them. So you're not denying that in 1979 and 1983 she won the working class over? Labours manifesto in 1983 was horrific, no wonder Sir Gerald Kaufmann, a Labour MP called it 'The longest suicide note in history'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.