Revision (sadly? Nah) interrupted by an untimely trip to A&E :sick:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    Revision (sadly? Nah) interrupted by an untimely trip to A&E :sick:
    Oh no! What happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Oh no! What happened?
    My hands turned an unfortunate shade of purple, erring on black. And I took a strange rash on my face. Rash turned out to be a photosensitive reaction (?) and I've got Raynaud's Disease.

ReputationRep:
    My hands turned an unfortunate shade of purple, erring on black. And I took a strange rash on my face. Rash turned out to be a photosensitive reaction (?) and I've got Raynaud's Disease.
    Oh no! Did you know that before, or was this how you discovered it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Onee-chan)
    Haha thanks! Don't worry if it's too much hussle though :P.

I like your adjective "accurate feedback" hehe (had mental image of the army for some reason :P - "Reporting back, Sir.")
    My friend offered to email you as it wouldn't make any sense to me. I'll get her to send it to me still and I'll forward the information to you via PM.

:console:

What's the likely long-term impact on you going to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratio)

What's the likely long-term impact on you going to be?
    It's just going to be something that'll flare up from time to time, according to temperature and stress. There are treatments available, but they tend to cause more discomfort than they're worth (dizziness, headaches, ankle oedemas), so I'll just try to avoid the things that make it worse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's just going to be something that'll flare up from time to time, according to temperature and stress. There are treatments available, but they tend to cause more discomfort than they're worth (dizziness, headaches, ankle oedemas), so I'll just try to avoid the things that make it worse.
    So precisely the sort of thing you need before exam term which is bound to somewhat stressful. And warm. Ugh. Hang in there.

I also have a thing which is exacerbated by stress so I'm trying to keep my panic levels low. (I imagine this will disintegrate whenever our exam timetables come out.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratio)
    I also have a thing which is exacerbated by stress so I'm trying to keep my panic levels low. (I imagine this will disintegrate whenever our exam timetables come out.)
    Me too :sadnod: Migraines.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ratio;42157230]My friend offered to email you as it wouldn't make any sense to me. I'll get her to send it to me still and I'll forward the information to you via PM.

Thank you so much!!! You and your friend are wonderful people!

We've actually come across this (Raynaud's disease) actually, but all I know about it is that it's constricted blood supply to the fingers and toes :O.

(Original post by ratio)
    Same! I seem to get eczema on my hands (or it worsens) whenever stress levels are high :'O
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I was wrong. I didn't need an exam timetable to stress me out. All it took was an email from a supervisor this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratio)
    I was wrong. I didn't need an exam timetable to stress me out. All it took was an email from a supervisor this morning.
    :jumphug: I'm sure your supervisor didn't mean to stress you out! They clearly did well in their exams to get to PHD / postdoc / fellow levels and are honestly trying to help.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    :jumphug: I'm sure your supervisor didn't mean to stress you out! They clearly did well in their exams to get to PHD / postdoc / fellow levels and are honestly trying to help.
    :hugs:

Thanks. I know that's not his intention. Plus, stressing out is counter productive because I then can't work. The next few weeks will be fun...

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

I had originally done a big reply for all that I'd missed in the Chat thread, but then Craggy declared it fluffy pink bunny-land so I realised that half of my planned post would be better suited here.

(Original post by T-o dore)
    Those who have done finals in humanities/social sciences, how much harder did you work for finals than for second year exams? I am far too relaxed about this epochal moment of my life.
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I worked less hard. Getting a first in second year was a killer for motivation in the third. Even though I had a conditional offer to meet, I couldn't work up the panic.
    I also got a First in second year but my reaction was exactly the opposite. It became a matter of 'face': I had to maintain, or even improve, on what I had already achieved or risk a humiliating downward trajectory. In reality, it would not have been a humiliation, but that was my way of thinking at the time. Though I worked hard in both years, I worked harder for finals. Partly this was due to the nature of the papers - my Special Subject, which dealt with original sources, had such a high volume of sources that I hadn't even read half of them by the beginning of the revision period - but the idea of saving face did loom large.

(Sorry if that intimidates any current Tabs. We all have different ways of dealing with things and I was quite a pathological reviser...)

[QUOTE=Craghyrax;42009518]Meanwhile that year's Weber question was almost identical to the supervision essay I'd written :awesome:

I love it when that happens. In fact, it happened to me quite a lot: I did a large number of mock exam essays, some for genuine past questions and others for ones that could conceivably come up. (I also planned for 'nightmare' questions, just in case.) After all, there's only a finite number of questions for every area. If there was something I didn't know, I would go the faculty library or UL and learn some useful examples. When it came to my Specified Subject exam, all three of the questions I chose were ones that I had already meticulously planned out in my mind (including one that was identical to one of the essays I'd done)!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    [B][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR="#8B4513"]I also got a First in second year but my reaction was exactly the opposite. It became a matter of 'face': I had to maintain, or even improve, on what I had already achieved or risk a humiliating downward trajectory. In reality, it would not have been a humiliation, but that was my way of thinking at the time. Though I worked hard in both years, I worked harder for finals. Partly this was due to the nature of the papers - my Special Subject, which dealt with original sources, had such a high volume of sources that I hadn't even read half of them by the beginning of the revision period - but the idea of saving face did loom large.
    Yeah, I think the pressure/expectation from family/friends to do well this year is the only thing stopping me from being completely drained of motivation.

Just on the topic of the tripos, do you know how grading works? As in, with your degree class, I've heard you aren't obligated to use your final exams grade - you can use any 'part' of the degree. Is that true in practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Yeah, I think the pressure/expectation from family/friends to do well this year is the only thing stopping me from being completely drained of motivation.

Just on the topic of the tripos, do you know how grading works? As in, with your degree class, I've heard you aren't obligated to use your final exams grade - you can use any 'part' of the degree. Is that true in practice?
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use your final grade as what you tell employers. Technically your degree result is (for example) a first in IA, a 2.i in IB and a first in II but that's a bit of a mouthful

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use your final grade as what you tell employers. Technically your degree result is (for example) a first in IA, a 2.i in IB and a first in II but that's a bit of a mouthful

This. It's always been my understanding that the final year grade is the one that you advertise. So if you get a lower grade in Part II, it's tough but you can mention both or all of your parts to counterbalance it, but if you improve drastically in Part II (say, going from a Third to a First, Zadie Smith-style), you don't have to mention your ignominious earlier performance.

ReputationRep:
    That's not strictly true :p: The reason there are a fair number of Fellows hanging around who don't have doctorates is that the standards and expectations were much lower in academia while it was still the preserve of wealthy white men :p: As to today, well I only had a 2.1, and I'm a funded PhD student :flute:
    When I got my results for final year I did think my life was over though :sadnod:

(Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    [B]I also got a First in second year but my reaction was exactly the opposite. It became a matter of 'face': I had to maintain, or even improve, on what I had already achieved or risk a humiliating downward trajectory. In reality, it would not have been a humiliation, but that was my way of thinking at the time.[/B] Though I worked hard in both years, I worked harder for finals. Partly this was due to the nature of the papers - my Special Subject, which dealt with original sources, had such a high volume of sources that I hadn't even read half of them by the beginning of the revision period - but the idea of saving face did loom large.
    Oh believe me, it was! It might not have been quite so bad if I'd managed to avoid being in floods of tears all of results day though :o:

ReputationRep:
    This thread died :eek:. Revive...

Hmmm, the idea of having to go to Senate House to see your results does seem really humiliating. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onee-chan)
    This thread died :eek:. Revive...

Hmmm, the idea of having to go to Senate House to see your results does seem really humiliating. :cry:
    You don't have to any more! They're normally up on CamSIS in the morning and then at Senate House in the afternoon

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to any more! They're normally up on CamSIS in the morning and then at Senate House in the afternoon
    But can you see all results via CamSIS, or just your own?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.