Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nearvan)
    Yea it does tend to be pricy, specially with all the add-ons such as ethernet, hdmi, projector dongles and all. But it depends whether you want to move around with it alot and what your budget is. I got a 15% student discount at the apple store and my iCare (warranty, replace the laptop if stolen, if broken, whatever happens etc.. Do some research) i got a 90%discount off it
    What is the normal warranty given with apple? Is it 1 year or 2 years? The iCentre in Malta told me 1 yr world wide followed by 1 yr European, however other resellers in Malta only offer 1 year, unless you buy the extended pack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nearvan)
    And you have icloud services which track your laptop if stolen and all your documents remain online so that its always safe.
    is this always included or is it part of the icare?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? You dont need to spend that much.

For business & management (and any other essay subject) all you will need is something that can word process and use the Internet. My netbook, bought 2 years ago for £250 has done me perfectly well, and has the advantage of being very portable.

You could spend some of the money you save by not buying a laptop with features you will never use on a monitor that you can plug the laptop on when you are at home (and possibly a USB keyboard)

ReputationRep:
    I'll suggest you Apple's laptop they are best for every purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)

For business & management (and any other essay subject) all you will need is something that can word process and use the Internet. My netbook, bought 2 years ago for £250 has done me perfectly well, and has the advantage of being very portable.

You could spend some of the money you save by not buying a laptop with features you will never use on a monitor that you can plug the laptop on when you are at home (and possibly a USB keyboard)
    I considered a netbook, however these are not in production any more it seems, as in you would find to but new ones, however they would not have modern specs.

The ones I found would be:
    windows XP
    1 Gb Ram (some even have 512mb)
    250 Gb HD
    Core Duo process (after this there was the Core 2 Duo and then the Core i-series)

Maybe I'm technology mad but I'd not buy something with such specs. If I am buying something now I'd want it with the latest specs possible.

Now rather than netbooks there are ultrabooks, thin, light weight, 11 to 13 inch screen. Good specs. In Malta these start from about 700/750eu. Though since Malta is a small island there is lower demand and higher transport costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackpolson1)
    You summed me up well there Ive been looking at windows but now im starting to think that it could be an investment maybe to buy a macbook as every windows laptop ive had has seemed to get slower and less repsonsive really quickly, I mean the laptop I have now has 4gb and 500gb HDD but it just seems to have turned really slow! What do you reckon?
    1) Old HDD's are slow, one 500GB HDD isnt the same as another 500GB HDD. They also slow down over time.

2) Same as above and you probably have DDR2 ram instead of DDR3, also a big memory clock difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)

Notebooks are pretty low spec, so multitasking at any fast rate is a no no. The keyboards are terrible and won't be typing as fast. A super low screen res means not everything displays correctly too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielSheen)
    As far as I know my mates macbook is a Macbook Pro, I am unsure on the age of the laptop or what specifications it has, I assume it is a default one they sell in Apple shops. However, if you don't have a macbook in 2 weeks time I will be able to get my Mac, put windows on it and test it out, the one I will be getting is the default 13" priced at £999.00. I am sure you will need a Windows 7 disc to put it on the Mac, just like you do with any computer, but I am unsure.

If you can utilize the power the Mac offers then I would certainly say to get it. For example I am a web design student who will need Microsoft Office, iTunes, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign and maybe some other Adobe programs. I think you wouldn't waste your money if you DID buy a mac, but if you would like to save money the models I mentioned above are perfect for what you need it for.

Ah, yes I will be ordering from the Education store myself but bearing in mind you will need to be a confirmed University/College student to qualify for the discount, and unless you want to talk to someone over the phone you need to also be on the University network in order to buy one with the discount.
    I usually hate talking to people over the phone, but I did for my MBP. Their customer service was amazing and I'd recommend it I anyone. The first person you talk to is the person you will talk to for the rest of your purchase and afterwards if you want. You get their direct phone number and email address

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lascelles)
    I usually hate talking to people over the phone, but I did for my MBP. Their customer service was amazing and I'd recommend it I anyone. The first person you talk to is the person you will talk to for the rest of your purchase and afterwards if you want. You get their direct phone number and email address

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats great, that has given me more confidence when phoning up now lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxo)
    You get money off macs if you're a student or going to university, which is worth looking into! I love my macbook and would never go back to windows. I have the lowest spec 13 inch mbp from 2011, but it's definitely capable of running bootcamp and windows if I wanted to. I just bought mac versions of Microsoft though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I am just going to buy a macbook, everyone seems to be saying that they are much better and they are looking to be a better investment in the long term, say you buy the mac micrsoft and send the document to a windows computer does it have any issues?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just thought I'd help out a little. The link below allows you to access the Apple Store with education discounts. I believe you can purchase at those prices as well, just in case you wanted to buy it with the discount before you get to uni in September. Hope this helps!

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_500083...ly/macbook_pro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackpolson1)
    I think I am just going to buy a macbook, everyone seems to be saying that they are much better and they are looking to be a better investment in the long term, say you buy the mac micrsoft and send the document to a windows computer does it have any issues?
    Nope , I regularly do work on my mac at home then finish and print it on the sixth form computers, some with newer versions of windows, some with older and all my documents have opened without any problems. I think I got Microsoft of a website called software for students (or similar) and its cheap as long as you're in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would go for a computer with a long battery life when it's for university use. You can't always be certain to be within range of a socket. I just bought an Acer myself with a battery life that seems to go on forever. Acer Aspire M5. Very pleased with it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope , I regularly do work on my mac at home then finish and print it on the sixth form computers, some with newer versions of windows, some with older and all my documents have opened without any problems. I think I got Microsoft of a website called software for students (or similar) and its cheap as long as you're in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.software4students.co.uk/ .

ReputationRep:
    That's the one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats good to hear, that was one of the main things I was worried about Ill check out that website, thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Just a random question but I also need help with a set of speakers. I found these speakers called Monster Clarity HD Model one's but they cost £600, they are amazinggg! I cant stress how good they are and I will buy them but I was just wondering if anyone knows of any very loud, amazing quality speakers that i could check out incase there is something else, portability would be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by larmic)
    is this always included or is it part of the icare?
    icloud services are always included. You can have your docs uploaded, contacts synced, photos everything put into your icloud account. It's a free service

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Buy a chromebook, they are portable and crazy fast...my 2 cents

EDIT: and they cost less than £300

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by larmic)
    What is the normal warranty given with apple? Is it 1 year or 2 years? The iCentre in Malta told me 1 yr world wide followed by 1 yr European, however other resellers in Malta only offer 1 year, unless you buy the extended pack.
    I guess its one year normal waranty, but i dont think it covers theft or spills etc.. The icare is like an extended warranty (in terms of time and additional coverage) i got a 90% discount on my iCare when using my student card

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.