Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thatcher - Why I won't be mourning Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    Her legacy involves the destruction of communities, the elevation of personal greed over social values and legitimising the exploitation of the weak by the strong.

She led alongside Ronald Reagan the escalation of the Cold War. She introduced cruise missiles to Britain and fought the Falklands war. Her arms deals with Saudi Arabia were notorious.

She created today's housing crisis, she produced the banking crisis, she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefits rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly at full employment.

Respect for the dead? I didn't respect her when she lived, why should I when she has died?
    I have said this a hundred times today and I will say it a hundred more until people get it in their heads: I do not expect people who hate her and disagree with her to feel sad that she passed away. I do not expect them to suddenly change their opinion of her, as that is their own and I'm sure they have their reasons for it. But what I do expect of them is to not celebrate her death. It is not just a lack of respect, celebrating someone's death is tasteless, puerile and inhumane.

Cannot understand why there needs to be a wave of threads of people who feel the need to justify why they "have to" or "have not" to mourn the death of Thatcher

Mourning someone is not a command or a requirement - it is and always will be optional. If the death of Thatcher upsets you then mourn her. If it does not then don't it's straight forward really

(Original post by Mr Faust)
    War happened. Margaret rightly said (numerous times to this stubborn woman) that the Argentine Government were warned prior the attack on their ships if their vessels posed as a threat.

Belgrano sinking removed a major threat to the British fleet and forces. This ensured that the Argentine surface navy went back to the port for the duration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.