Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Always say some variation of thank you as I get off.
    It's only civilized

ReputationRep:
    I dont use buses (use trains) but why people dont say thanks to driver beats me, how much effort does it take to say 'thank you'

ReputationRep:
    Always.

ReputationRep:
    Where I grew up everybody says thank you, but in London it's pretty rare. One of the things I don't like about living here.

People who think the driver doesn't notice/care - they do! I work in public transport (not buses) and it's genuinely so nice when someone says thank you/have a nice day, especially when you're dealing with hundreds of people who just want to get to work and don't seem to notice or care that you're working to make everything run smoothly for them.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you, there's no reason not to and it's not like it takes much effort.
    I think the bus drivers where I live get a bit annoyed if you don't thank them, I was on a bus not long ago and a girl got off without saying anything and the female driver proceeded to tell her how ignorant she was!
    I just say it automatically really (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.
    This. Whenever it happens I just assume they're from up north or something.

ReputationRep:
    I almost always say thank you the only time when I won't is when the driver has been rude to me, or missed my stop, and even then I feel like I should still thank them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's at the last stop I'll shout to the front from the exit door, also if I get off at the front I'll say thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I do. The only time I don't is when the bus driver misses our stop. Sometimes we (me and my friend) stand up and the bus driver completely ignores us, even though he normally stops at our stop every evening!

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you, as do most people here, unless the driver is crap. If I've had to spend the last hour and a half with my hands on the seat in front because he's speeding and has to brake extremely suddenly for stops and sends people flying, I'm not thanking him for that.

ReputationRep:
    I do it when I get on, or if I'm running for a bus but generally in London, other then that I don't really say it that often

ReputationRep:
    Like someone said earlier, in London, no one bothers. However if I run for the bus and the driver decides to wait for me, then of course I'll say thank you. But generally in the London buses, people go in and go out. Same thing when I went bradford.

ReputationRep:
    I do when I'm out of town, but in London there's a separate door for people leaving the bus anyway. Even if we all used the same door, us Londoners are horrible anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if I get a please or thank you from the driver when I pay for my ticket. Plenty of drivers don't say please when they request my money, and also don't thank me when I give them the money. They usually just mumble at me.

If people are polite to me then I am polite to them and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    I say thanks, just like I would to a taxi driver. Some people do, some people don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.
    Maybe not where you are but my side of London says thanks more than not...

I always say thank you, accompanied with a wave

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you, it takes barely any effort and I've been brought up to respect my surroundings.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.

On a side note, does anyone else find it really annoying when people don't pick up their litter on the bus -.- I was coming home from town when the seat across from me had so much litter on it. I've attached a photo and when I took it most of the empty bottles and stuff had fallen on the floor and rolled around by then, but still. The crisps were only half eaten and there was loads left in the packet and it's such a waste, take it with you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much on every bus I've been on in Glasgow people say thanks. As Kevin Bridges said: "you're likely to get stabbed in Glasgow but you'd get directions to hospital afterwards". :P

ReputationRep:
    When I use a bus in London, which is when I most use one, I don't dare to look into the driver's eyes in fear that they will say that you're being rude, I quickly get my Oyster card, touch it and quickly sit at the back and put my bag next to me, in case someone sits next to me. I never use the front doors to get off in case the driver looks at me again, and I quickly run off before anyone even notices I am gone.

When I use a bus elsewhere, I smile at the bus driver as I ask for my ticket, thank him for that, sit down, keep the chair next to me available, and say thank you as I walk off at the front doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Like someone said earlier, in London, no one bothers. However if I run for the bus and the driver decides to wait for me, then of course I'll say thank you. But generally in the London buses, people go in and go out. Same thing when I went bradford.
    Seriously? I always notice people say thank you and stuff...

That's how I made it a habit in the first place... Do I live in a different London? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.