Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aww. Here, have some rep to make you feel tinsy winsy better ^.^

I agree with others. You should definitely talk to your personal tutor or an appropriate person. They are there to deal with these kind of issues. Also, start secretly recording noise & other undesirable behavior so the tutors actually believe you and do something.

Meanwhile, you have no obligation to listen to what they say. Take your cupboard back, do exactly the opposite of what they tell you to do. If they think you're a little innocent pushover, then take advantage of that and mess with their food (if you get what I'm saying:007:) And don't even say "hi" to them when you see them.

Sometimes, being nice is not the way to go.

If this escalates to physical attacks from them, perfect. They will then be held accountable for their actions and harsher disciplinary action will be taken.

Now. Go put on your shades and initiate badass-mode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbowscarf)
    I'm 18 and I live in halls at uni. I made a good effort to get to know the 7 other people I live with at the start in September, but I didn't have anything in common with them at all and they never bothered with me.

For a long time, they would all hammer at my door all at once at night shouting my name and knocking and if I answered they didn't want anything, so I started to ignore them when they did that. They kept doing it night after night and it got louder when I ignored them. They did this nearly every night before February and since then they still do it sometimes but not as often. I'm on a course where I have to get up quite early a lot which they knew/know and they still did/do it. They play games in the small hours outside my door too, which they do a lot now.

The day after I came back from the Christmas holidays they told me to clean out my food cupboard because it was a bit dirty, which I said sorry for. I cleaned it out and took everything I wanted to keep like pans into my room to clean them in my bathroom sink because there was too much of their stuff in the kitchen sink to do anything with mine. I didn't eat anything which needed a pan for a few days (I was ill for a week and only ate toast and cereal in my room) and when I went to put my stuff back I discovered somebody had taken over my food cupboard without asking, leaving me with nothing. There was noone else in the kitchen at the time so I put my stuff back in my room. I now keep all my food in my room.

They have people over from other halls and outside of uni every day and every night non-stop (I hear the doorbell ring and them coming in) and whenever I have someone in my room they get annoyed and a few times they've said stuff like 'You bring back so many guys they could rape us or kill us or anything, so stop it', yet the people they bring in could do exactly the same to me yet I don't make a fuss about it. It's my room and I bring back whoever I want; I don't care what they say.

At the start I said things about what they were doing but they didn't care and I just gave up and got on with it. I don't speak to any of them out of choice and only say hi if I see them in the corridor. I cook when I get up early in the morning and put things in foil in my room to eat when I get back so I don't have to go in the kitchen when people are in there (sometimes when I don't have to get up early too, other times I don't bother and just east toast and cereal in my room for the dat). I know should say something and I want to but I'm scared things will get worse.

Am I overreacting or was/am I being bullied in halls? Thanks.
    I don't wanna sound like a jackass, but I would go nuts on people's ass if they did that to me.

You are definitely being bullied though. I would speak to someone from the uni about it. Now not every one likes a rat, but this is not acceptable and you need to discuss your options with someone who very likely has dealt with hall bullying before.

ReputationRep:
    take a piss in their morning coffee, record yourself doing it, show them at the end of your contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    Personally I think you're over-reacting. That's university halls for you, it's going to be loud and lots of drunken behaviour going on. They seem really immature but things like that happen to everyone. If you were friends with them you would think it's just banter/fun but now everything seems to be grating on you. You can't make them like you/you like them but that's life.

Have you thought about trying to get on with them? Sometimes you don't need to have things in common to be friends, thinking about it I don't know what I have in common with my friends except our friendship! haha.

It's only for a few more months
    Yeah OP, it's your fault. You need to change! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    See if you can move halls- same thing happened to me in first year and I was so miserable until I moved. Hope you get this sorted- this isn't right and you don't deserve it! :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    I'm very sorry to hear about this. I've been in a bad living situation before and know how horrible it is.

I agree with what others have said - speak to the accommodation office and see if you can find somewhere else. Also, definitely put your stuff back into your original cupboard (maybe not food incase they steal it, but definitely things like pans/plates/etc) and don't listen to them when they say you can't have friends around. You have just as much right as them to have people round.

ReputationRep:
    This is what scares me about living in halls because this most definitely counts as bullying!! Please go to your students office/accommodation contact etc, you don't deserve to put up with this. If they can't move you then they have a duty to discipline them for this!

Not to mention you should stand up for yourself - next time they say something, say something back. I used to get horrendously bullied in high school until I kicked off and threw a chair at the boy who was doing it Use swear words and start blindly throwing things at them. Or near to them. Like their plates (nobody wants an arrest for GBH, aim for the wall not their heads). When they complain, let them know that you're returning the favour for them breaking yours :^_^: Do that on the last night before you move, and tell everyone you know like your neighbours in the next door flats how awful they are. Piss in their favourite mugs, stick their numbers into the newspapers personal ads and then before you go, say you'd like to leave on decent terms, and bake them a cake spiked with laxatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terria)
    I used to get horrendously bullied in high school until I kicked off and threw a chair at the boy who was doing it Use swear words and start blindly throwing things at them. Or near to them. Like their plates (nobody wants an arrest for GBH, aim for the wall not their heads). When they complain, let them know that you're returning the favour for them breaking yours :^_^: Do that on the last night before you move, and tell everyone you know like your neighbours in the next door flats how awful they are. Piss in their favourite mugs, stick their numbers into the newspapers personal ads and then before you go, say you'd like to leave on decent terms, and bake them a cake spiked with laxatives.
    :awesome: high five!

ReputationRep:
    Feel really sorry for you, defo bullying.

You shouldn't have to deal with it!

ReputationRep:
    What did you decide to do in the end OP?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're being bullied. This is uni, not year 6, I don't understand how people can still be this immature and insecure in themselves to make your uni experience a bad one. So YES, definitely speak to someone, speak to accommodation, explain to them everything that's been going on (knocking on your door at night, you feeling so uncomfortable in a place that you're PAYING for that you have to cook very early in the morning or eat cereal e.t.c) and tell them you want a new room, explain that exams are coming up and the environment isn't the best to revise. If they do nothing, speak to your personal advisor, if they do nothing speak to your head of year, head of department e.t.c. Literally, keep speaking to someone in a 'higher' authority so to say until they properly sort this out! And I'm really sorry that your living situation has been awful so far, hopefully you'll have amazing friends/housemates that make your life easier for the rest of your uni life .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terria)
    This is what scares me about living in halls because this most definitely counts as bullying!! Please go to your students office/accommodation contact etc, you don't deserve to put up with this. If they can't move you then they have a duty to discipline them for this!

Not to mention you should stand up for yourself - next time they say something, say something back. I used to get horrendously bullied in high school until I kicked off and threw a chair at the boy who was doing it Use swear words and start blindly throwing things at them. Or near to them. Like their plates (nobody wants an arrest for GBH, aim for the wall not their heads). When they complain, let them know that you're returning the favour for them breaking yours :^_^: Do that on the last night before you move, and tell everyone you know like your neighbours in the next door flats how awful they are. Piss in their favourite mugs, stick their numbers into the newspapers personal ads and then before you go, say you'd like to leave on decent terms, and bake them a cake spiked with laxatives.
    I guess it's true what they say, "hell has no fury like a woman scorned" I'd hate to piss you off

But OP, you should get in contact with someone so they can help. In the meantime, if one of them happens to have a bottle of coke in the fridge I think malt vinegar will be a lovely addition

ReputationRep:
    OP I was in a similar situation in halls last year, it was horrible and can totally empathise. As the 'clique' basically took over the kitchen as their social space i would just avoid going/eating in there whenever (amazing what that awkwardness and such drives you do the point of not even cooking or getting a coffee...facilities which you pay for! Eventually they also started making snide remarks whenever I did go there too so literally just stayed in my room all the time after exams to avoid them, not good)
    If you can ask your warden or the appropriate authority if you can move halls. I didn't myself, just waited it out till the end (though it did NOT get better so I recommend you do something about it!) but several people I knew did so its not an unusual occurence at all. Even if you do move hopefully you wouldn't see these people nearly as much so what does it matter what they may think about it.
    Totally agree with the peopleposting about how immature this is...indeed you do hope to get away from this sort of behaviour after high school but have witnessed it way too often at uni.
    Good luck OP and make sure you sort it out, the last thing you want with exams presumably coming up is these lot stressing you!

ReputationRep:
    to be honest they sound like absolute t***s, you shouldn't have to wash stuff in your room it's your home for the year just as much as it is theirs and I don't think they understand that respect works both ways. You should put your food and stuff back in the kitchen and if you want to have someone in your room or even in the living area and they don't like it tough.

ReputationRep:
    Hello OP. I suddenly thought about you yesterday and wondered how you are getting on? I hope you have managed to make some progress with your situation;either by confronting them or by moving out? Hope everything`s alright.

ReputationRep:
    Omg that's horrible! Why did you let them do that to you for so long?!
    if you're still there you should definitely report them. They can't get away with that! That's so childish and horrible, and they have no right making you live in your room with your food and take your cupboard. Totally unfair. Yes, you were bullied. Tell your accommodation officer NOW

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    You pay as much rent as them, tell them to jog on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    Personally I think you're over-reacting. That's university halls for you, it's going to be loud and lots of drunken behaviour going on. They seem really immature but things like that happen to everyone. If you were friends with them you would think it's just banter/fun but now everything seems to be grating on you. You can't make them like you/you like them but that's life.

Have you thought about trying to get on with them? Sometimes you don't need to have things in common to be friends, thinking about it I don't know what I have in common with my friends except our friendship! haha.

It's only for a few more months
    ***** please

ReputationRep:
    It does seem like you're being bullied. Report it asap and move out if possible. Alternatively, beat the crap outta them (should work on people who gang up to bully someone).

ReputationRep:
    I had to put up with these issues when I was in halls as well. I didn't go to uni until I was 21 ( so was technically a mature student), and I was studying medicine so a very demanding course. The majority of them were Art students doing Micky mouse degrees so they had too much time on their hands. I am a very easy going guy and like fun like everyone else but I respect people's belonging and the need for personal space. They used to eat my food and bang on my door as well. The girls would laugh hysterically loud and over the top at any situation. They were all very fake people trying to impress each other. I am not sure any of them were there to get a good education and take their degrees seriously. I confronted them several times but they just ignored me. They also used to drink my milk and take all my fridge space. I got fed up and put laxatives in my milk for a few weeks and heard of a few of them complaining about stomach upsets. It's best to give them a dose of their own medicine but not suggesting you do what I did. I went to the student accomodation service and advised them of the situation and refused to pay my rent until I was moved as the university were in breach of their contract due to me being abused by my fellow students. Any kind of situation like taking your food or keeping you awake is technically a form of abuse. Anyway after the complaint I was moved within a week and I moved out into a place with people on my own course and was much happier. If your unhappy confront them or pull the abuse card it always works.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.