Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Britain enter a period of mourning for Margaret Thatcher? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm yet to hear much of a valid reason for why people hate her so much, disagreeing with her politics is hardly a reason to party at her death

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    No. Just no. And can you imagine anyone in the north who lived through her government mourning? She covered up hillsborough. She left cities to decline and many were unemployed. Why should I mourn her?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Being raised in the industrial north, in one of the many cities thatcher ruined I would not mourn her, she was involved in the worst football scandal in British history, why should I mourn, unemployment reached a peak of 3million, Liverpool was left to managed decline, the railways were privatised, the police force was planned to be privatised, there was no national minimum wage, children had there milk stolen from them, that's nothing to celebrate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    I think I'm yet to hear much of a valid reason for why people hate her so much, disagreeing with her politics is hardly a reason to party at her death

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While I don't want to sound patronising, the age demographic on this board means that the majority of posters were not even alive when Thatcher was in power. I think it's very hard to understand the hatred for her if you are that young. That said (and I am not really old enough either), I still do not condone the celebration of her death, or anyone's for that matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    No. If the Tories want to then they can go ahead. I do not think that she should be deified before the public. Her policies during the 80s resulted in many big changes which affected many people in a bad way. It lead to many becoming unemployed, and Liverpool was deliberately set to decline as per policy, to give two examples. She was defiant though. Although we can admire that trait in a person we cannot necessarily admire the consequences. And many people who admire her on TSR never lived through her tenure.
    Yes- it has nothing to do with ex-miners didn't have one school qualification between the 1 million of them and therefore struggled losing their job....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack clarke)
    Being raised in the industrial north, in one of the many cities thatcher ruined I would not mourn her, she was involved in the worst football scandal in British history, why should I mourn, unemployment reached a peak of 3million, Liverpool was left to managed decline, the railways were privatised, the police force was planned to be privatised, there was no national minimum wage, children had there milk stolen from them, that's nothing to celebrate
    Exactly, my family grew up in Liverpool at that time, if people lived there then they'd realise how bad it was

ReputationRep:
    The hillsborough cover up was wrong I don't think anyone would argue the contrary. Is it worse than the bombing of Dresden? Yet Churchill is the "greatest Briton". I'm not trying to drag the argument towards Churchill but when you put into comparison a lot of what he did and think of how he is remembered it seems harsh to be so hard on Thatcher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.