Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    There were 3 guys in the RAF going for commission on my board out of 20 last month. I doubt you will be the only one!

Chris
    Good to know!

ReputationRep:
    There were 3 guys in the RAF going for commission on my board out of 20 last month. I doubt you will be the only one!

Chris
    There was a good mix on my board last year of serving, ex-serving and civvies. I'll see you on Sunday! Any questions fire away, OASC is the same as when I last went so am happy to assist with anything last minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Failed aptitude tests miserably today. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by martywales)
    Failed aptitude tests miserably today. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?
    Take the advice given to you when you left OASC.

Look at non-aptitude-based branches if nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you and what branch were you applying for? I know many people who failed first time and scored competitively the second. Some people need to experience something once to understand and excel. I can appreciate you're disappointed but if it's what you want, wait your 12 months and try again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    I know many people who failed first time and scored competitively the second. Some people need to experience something once to understand and excel.
    On the other hand, most repeat-aptitude-sitters score very similarly. The tests are pretty good at testing innate abilities and skills, and not really the sort of things you can improve at. Some of them, like the basic maths-related tests can be practiced, but there's not a huge amount you can do in a year to improve your spatial reasoning or reactions or some of the more abstract things that are tested.

OASC predictably see a lot of candidates, and their advice will always be the absolute best. So if they say reapply in a year, that means they saw enough potential in you, and you should reapply in a year. If they say you need to look at a non-aptitude-based branch, have a serious look and see if any appeal to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Im 27 so perhaps Ill look into Logistics Officer. Going to the AFCO next week and hopefully wont have to start the process from scratch. Think I may have underestimated the tests.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Im 27 so perhaps Ill look into Logistics Officer. Going to the AFCO next week and hopefully wont have to start the process from scratch. Think I may have underestimated the tests.
    Sometimes the pressure can take over, when I did the aptitude test 4 years ago I didn't need it for my branch so I had no pressure and scored very competitively, others taking the tests pressured themselves so much because they wanted to pass that the stress lead them to perform very badly. Some have gone back and performed much better 2nd time around, some didn't. If you're happy to change branch then good luck, at least you've found a silver lining. I'm going for Loggie and it's such a varied branch so I think it's a good choice!

Good luck and I know nothing we can say can help the matter, well done for looking at viable alternatives so soon and for not giving in at the first hurdle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your kind words. Hopefully my dream isn't over.

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited to OASC in a few weeks. I am hoping to be commissioned as a legal officer, does anyone know if I will be still be expected to take the distance/time/fuel tests?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    No as its not an Aptitude branch. You'll just do the rest of it

ReputationRep:
    Good luck at OASC over the next couple of days Tina.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck at OASC over the next couple of days Tina.
    Thanks Chris really appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did you find OASC, Tina?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fitch96)
    How did you find OASC, Tina?
    I actually really enjoyed it for the most part surprisingly! I walked away from the interview feeling very happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No as its not an Aptitude branch. You'll just do the rest of it
    Could I bother you to elaborate a bit on this? I'm heading to OASC for Engineering Officer, which I believe is a non-aptitude based career but when I asked if we "All do the same aptitude tests," the answer was "Yes, it's all the same."

Does that mean the aptitude tests for all non-aptitude branches are the same, or that there's no difference between the aptitude and non-aptitude branch tests.

Much obliged for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfex)
    Could I bother you to elaborate a bit on this? I'm heading to OASC for Engineering Officer, which I believe is a non-aptitude based career but when I asked if we "All do the same aptitude tests," the answer was "Yes, it's all the same."

Does that mean the aptitude tests for all non-aptitude branches are the same, or that there's no difference between the aptitude and non-aptitude branch tests.

Much obliged for clarification.
    You may do the tests, but they are not taken into consideration in the same way; they are not pass/fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You may do the tests, but they are not taken into consideration in the same way; they are not pass/fail.
    Thanks. I'll still fully prepare for them, but if nothing else it explains to me why they'd be putting engineers through elements of a test designed to assess pilot capabilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfex)
    Thanks. I'll still fully prepare for them, but if nothing else it explains to me why they'd be putting engineers through elements of a test designed to assess pilot capabilities.
    You will most likely not do the complete tests.

While the system has changed since I went through, I was not put the the full battery due to being medically unable to do either Pilot or WSOff (eyesight issues). I did, however, sit the entire battery for all the remaining branches, despite applying for only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    I actually really enjoyed it for the most part surprisingly! I walked away from the interview feeling very happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about the fitness?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.