Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Kim Jong-Un Fled To "The West", Would He Be Welcomed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Also, in conclusion to our previous discussion, to close off that discussion:

Sure, it's certainly the case that on average white women would prefer white males to all others - a number of factors come into attractiveness and relationships and one would go for those who are most similar to them (e.g. black with black, asian with asian etc etc).

However, it is not the case that black and Asian females would prefer white males over all others - see the previous sentence above; one would go for those who are most similar to them/have more in common with.

That should clear it up and we should not come to a consensus. That would seem to be a sensible rounding off, no?
    My argument was that the net number of worldwide females would tend to prefer white males as partners - the NET amount. I am of course willing to cede that the majority of Asians/Africans etc marry within their race. All Im stating is that if we were to poll all women around the world, European males would come top. By what margin, I do not care, but it is obvious. Money or not, it also does not matter as mating is mating, we are not uncivilised animals - very few women marry purely for looks, if any anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    He was educated for some time in switzerland, so he's not ignorant of western lifestyle.
    Switzerland is one of the most neutral, peaceful countries in the world, so what he's doing makes little sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    You can argue all you want that his aunt and uncle are at the reins of power, but that it unproven. The fact remains that he is the head of state in an autocratic, totalitarian regime with human rights abuses unparalleled elsewhere; abuses that he has done nothing to curtail.
    Where did I state that they were in charge? That was not me who said that. Kim is in charge whether anyone likes him or not. But there are no charges to be brought against him. Being the head of an autocratic, totalitarian regime will not result him in facing charges at the hague; neither will human rights abuses.

(Original post by spiral87)
    They have kept themselves to themselves, they're a very secretive nation. Yeah, they've threatened the outside world from time to time, but what goes on in NK stays in NK. And no I don't believe they understand us at all. They have a country where the majority of people live in comparative poverty, healthcare, technology etc. is far behind the western world...they'd be better off joining us rather than being against us.
    why would they be better of joining us? what gives you or me the right to dictate to anyone how they should live their lives? your post is nothing but eurocentric.

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland is one of the most neutral, peaceful countries in the world, so what he's doing makes little sense.
    Why would being Swiss educated make the man turn his back on his family and his philosophy. Most of you here are thinking in a eurocentric light
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is true, however you appeared to be saying that Un probably doesn't know what western life is like. He lived in switzerland for a while, presumably with access to newspapers, television and the internet. I think he has a fairly good idea about how Europe and America lives.

What he's doing makes *some* sense, the analysts are suggesting that it's all hot air to re-open talks for food aid. Personally I think he just read 1984 and though "what a great idea!". Uniting your own country by rallying them around an enemy (real or otherwise) is a good way to stay in power.

ReputationRep:
    This is true, however you appeared to be saying that Un probably doesn't know what western life is like. He lived in switzerland for a while, presumably with access to newspapers, television and the internet. I think he has a fairly good idea about how Europe and America lives.

What he's doing makes *some* sense, the analysts are suggesting that it's all hot air to re-open talks for food aid. Personally I think he just read 1984 and though "what a great idea!". Uniting your own country by rallying them around an enemy (real or otherwise) is a good way to stay in power.
    You are one of the few making sense. But its not just about food aid. Every Chinese analyst knows what this is about - establishing bilateral relations with the US. Nothing but.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jamesrobbo1)
    You are one of the few making sense. But its not just about food aid. Every Chinese analyst knows what this is about - establishing bilateral relations with the US. Nothing but.
    I'm largely just repeating what I've read in the news. I can see the advantage of them trying to establish bilateral relations with the US, however after the propaganda that they've been feeding their people for decades they'd best keep any agreements a secret.

I read yesterday that a prison camp was massively expanded recently, almost enclosing entire settlements. It's moves like that which make me think perhaps there is talk of widespread dissent. This could in fact be motivating the nuclear threats of the past month or two.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I state that they were in charge? That was not me who said that. Kim is in charge whether anyone likes him or not. But there are no charges to be brought against him. Being the head of an autocratic, totalitarian regime will not result him in facing charges at the hague; neither will human rights abuses.

why would they be better of joining us? what gives you or me the right to dictate to anyone how they should live their lives? your post is nothing but eurocentric.
    They try crimes against humanity.

ReputationRep:
    the mighty kim's true lizard form has not yet been revealed, once it is, we will all know who is in charge;
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I'm largely just repeating what I've read in the news. I can see the advantage of them trying to establish bilateral relations with the US, however after the propaganda that they've been feeding their people for decades they'd best keep any agreements a secret.

I read yesterday that a prison camp was massively expanded recently, almost enclosing entire settlements. It's moves like that which make me think perhaps there is talk of widespread dissent. This could in fact be motivating the nuclear threats of the past month or two.
    People seem to overlook that he is consolidating power - he is a young, unproven leader after all.
    (Original post by Chadya)
    They try crimes against humanity.
    Which crimes against humanity exactly? What about Chinese, Russian, Saudi Arabian, Iranian etc crimes against humanity? You really are being very naive to so haphazardly say "crimes against humanity". How will you bring him to court? Who will sanction it? Will Russia and China agree to allowing NK head of state to go down for "crimes against humanity"? The answer you are looking for is "no".

ReputationRep:
    People seem to overlook that he is consolidating power - he is a young, unproven leader after all.

Which crimes against humanity exactly? What about Chinese, Russian, Saudi Arabian, Iranian etc crimes against humanity? You really are being very naive to so haphazardly say "crimes against humanity". How will you bring him to court? Who will sanction it? Will Russia and China agree to allowing NK head of state to go down for "crimes against humanity"? The answer you are looking for is "no".
    Oml it was a tongue in cheek comment. Taking a ****ing chill pill.

Btw, human rights abuses go on all across the world, but few as blatently as NK's.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ha, the phrase reminds me so much of GCSE and A level history. Every module had "consolidating power" of every leader we studied, be it Hitler, Stalin or Henry VII. I wonder if this stuff will be taught in history lessons in the future, or if it will be considered too insignificant?

But yes, he is very young and didn't do anything to rise through the ranks a few years ago. Funny how they call him the best commander ever when he's never fought in a war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Some analysts say that he is more a poster child and that it's really his aunt and uncle who hold control behind the scenes, but that his father handed him the leadership because of how much he looked like Kim Il-Sung.

But what if Kim Jong-Un didn't/doesn't even want the leadership that was handed to him?

What if Kim fled to, say Switzerland or even the UK and explained that he was never in control and was only a poster child?

Would he be welcomed? Given asylum?
    It isn't going to happen even if he did want to secretly leave his family. The shame it would bring to his family name if he decided to pack his bags is not just confined to North Korea, it will be on a global scale. The whole world would be laughing at the Kim family.

If Kim did leave, I would guess that there would be some sort of honour killing plot and the UK isn't going to be the country that will provide him with refuge. They won't want to get involved in this matter, especially when the threat of nuclear attacks is in the background.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be looking to play him on Fifa. Me as S Korea and him as the North. Then when I beat him, he'd get very angry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.