Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Ah but you (likely) have. That's the thing. Pre industrial revolution, class was a major thing in the UK, so you couldn't even afford to be educated unless you have the money. This made up the vast majority of the UK

Let's take South Asia for instance. Because of the inequality of the caste system, I am placed in a higher caste and therefore my ancestors were able to get a good education, clothing, food etc...

That being said, I see no reason to take pride in such a thing. We are in there here, the now, the present. You have most definitely insulted yourself

And because of such inequalities, the poorer people simply can't have a good education, clothing, food etc...

In the Victorian times, it was the UK gov't that paid for large families to flourish. It's not "Oh I can afford this many kids" Take the richer families for instance. In history, it's pretty much always the case that the richer you are, the LESS kids you have
    My family did have money and have been rather high on the social scale since at least the 11th century. No generations of my family have, to my knowledge, had even half the number of children that you alluded to.

I can safely say that I have not insulted myself or any of my direct ancestry and I am fully aware of the sociological history of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDudeson)
    My family did have money and have been rather high on the social scale since at least the 11th century. No generations of my family have, to my knowledge, had even half the number of children that you alluded to.

I can safely say that I have not insulted myself or any of my direct ancestry and I am fully aware of the sociological history of the UK.
    OK fine, but you still have insulted the vast majority of the UK when you say stuff like you say. Coming from a well off family, I don't understand how you can't see the poverty beneath you?

You're from a well off family, for no other reason that your ancestors were well off, and in a high social class. Do you not see how retarded that idea is?

Im from a well off family (in Pakistan that is, not here) because of being born into a higher caste, and I can see the poverty beneath me, and the whole system stinks imo

Do you not see the massive inequality?

ReputationRep:
    OK fine, but you still have insulted the vast majority of the UK when you say stuff like you say. Coming from a well off family, I don't understand how you can't see the poverty beneath you?

You're from a well off family, for no other reason that your ancestors were well off, and in a high social class. Do you not see how retarded that idea is?

Im from a well off family (in Pakistan that is, not here) because of being born into a higher caste, and I can see the poverty beneath me, and the whole system stinks imo

Do you not see the massive inequality?
    I do see the inequality but I have a hard time sympathising with people who are not willing to help themselves. They bring an excessive number of children into the world that they can't properly take care of. It stretches what little resources they have very thin indeed and their children are destined to repeat the cycle, bringing even more children into poverty and worsening the problem.

If they stopped having so many children they would be doing themselves and future generations a big favour.

ReputationRep:
    I do see the inequality but I have a hard time sympathising with people who are not willing to help themselves. They bring an excessive number of children into the world that they can't properly take care of. It stretches what little resources they have very thin indeed and their children are destined to repeat the cycle, bringing even more children into poverty and worsening the problem.

If they stopped having so many children they would be doing themselves and future generations a big favour.
    Again, you know nothing of how the world operates. People have less kids, with education, and not by you saying "Oh but they can't help themselves" Half the time, they can't, because there is no social mobility

People have more kids, because there's things like high child mortality, they need people to work on the farms, people to look after them in their old age etc...

I refer you to Hans Rolsing. Man I :love: this man!

ReputationRep:
    Again, you know nothing of how the world operates. People have less kids, with education, and not by you saying "Oh but they can't help themselves" Half the time, they can't, because there is no social mobility

People have more kids, because there's things like high child mortality, they need people to work on the farms, people to look after them in their old age etc...

I refer you to Hans Rolsing. Man I :love: this man!

Well then we need to educate them don't we.

ReputationRep:
    Well then we need to educate them don't we.
    Well, yes but this isn't something that happens overnight. It's something that takes generations

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes but this isn't something that happens overnight. It's something that takes generations
    Indeed. Frankly, they should just be left to their own devices. I'm sure they will sort themselves out eventually without outside help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.