Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    propane and acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Opening and searching a student's locker is taken very seriously - not just by the university, but by the Student Union. If the Student Union isn't already involved, then they've decided to stay out of it. There's a reason for that somewhere in the situation. The uni must have had very good reason to search in the first place. I wonder how they knew to search his locker?

Unless there's a decent reason to have the ingredients for a Class A drug, which the OP hasn't provided to us, the uni or the police, then we all have to draw our own conclusions. You choose to believe that he's a sweet innocent, which is lovely. I'm a sad auld cynic and choose to believe that he's just been saved the kicking of his life, which would have been dished out when the existing drug dealing community found out that a newbie is trespassing on their market share.
    Good thing the legal system is a bit more robust than your critical thinking, eh?

(Original post by playd0h)
    No, it wasn't his stuff. Its entirely my fault and I am wondering how to approach a potential appeal process.
    Which university? I will have a quick look on their website for code of conduct etc..

ReputationRep:
    Trying to be the next Walter White?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelion)
    Trying to be the next Walter White?
    Hahah

ReputationRep:
    Just because it's not the right pigment doesn't make you innocent. You could have just got the pigment wrong....

As for the appeal process, there is a more obvious route than wasting time hoping that there are other people about to get kicked off their course for allegedly making drugs who will give advice here...but I don't care for people like that to help.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you were actually planning to make Class A drugs (which I notice you haven't denied) then you're no particular loss to higher education.

Still, he hasn't actually done anything illegal. Have you ever been to B&Q? Imagine if you could be arrested for going there, just because you bought a few random things that could make a bomb. Or if you buy a kitchen knife (You're a chef or something) and you get arrested and charged with intent to murder.

Whilst I agree it's a real shame he might've gone to make some, there's nothing wrong about what he's done and it's unfair to condemn his life because he could have potentially done something illegal.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eubacterium)
    Just because it's not the right pigment doesn't make you innocent. You could have just got the pigment wrong...
    True, but that's not really the point here, is it?:erm: This is really about whether the university's uncommonly harsh punishment for what he demonstrably was guilty of (i.e. breaching fire safety regulations by using a locker in a university building to store flammable chemicals) is justifiable in itself, and not just a handy pretext for getting rid of a student who they suspect - but can't prove - was up to no good.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last summer, received a first class BSc and 3 medals since I was first in my class and being an exceptionally good student. I started a postgraduate course at the same uni. 2 months in I get arrested for storing alleged ingredients used in the manufacture of a class A drug in my student locker. The police searched my house etc did not find anything illegal and released me without pressing charges. I was told I'm being suspended pending the outcome of the police investigation.

However, they decided to charge me for breaking the fire safety rules eventually getting expelled which is ok with me.

What I'd like to know is whether other universities can look at my record for details of the misconduct. Or is that at the discretion of the person who writes me a reference?
    This is the bit I don't get about this story. Getting expelled is "ok", it's just the references he's worried about. I can't help thinking there's more to this story than what has been mentioned here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    This is the bit I don't get about this story. Getting expelled is "ok", it's just the references he's worried about. I can't help thinking there's more to this story than what has been mentioned here.

Same. I would be outraged: I would have contacted anyone from a lawyer to my local mp, the citizens' advice bureau etc, if I had been unfairly treated, and expelled!

Why such a defeatist and accepting attitude? What really happened?

Anyhow, such a bright student. It's difficult for me to understand how such a talented individual ended up in a situation that touches those who are not so successful academically.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what my prof suggested but I'm broke so can't afford any legal representation.

I guess I should give up on trying to get on another course.
    You dont need any money to start the basics of legal action in this area. Essentially because this is a public law issue (im assuming your in the UK) yo can do something called pre-action protocol for judicial review. This often yeilds results and is fairly easy to fill out. Id be happy to talk you through it.
    Its free and doesnt require lawyers or going to court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    He's "ok" with it because he knew he was in the wrong (or soon to be) and therefore his real concern is not fighting the verdict but containing it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, OP, what happened to you was crazy... if I got kicked out of uni I'd be fuming! Why aren't you fighting this? I'm sure you could get it overturned, it seems like a really small thing to get kicked out for.

And is it just me or is keeping lighter fluid in your locker a bit dumb but not a fire risk? I mean unless someone deliberately opened your locker and set fire to it, there'd be no problem...

ReputationRep:
    Are you a Chemistry student by any chance ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    I think he has been as honest as he can be given the circumstances. I think it is equally likely that he was never motivated to do postgraduate study in the first place, which is why he does not care about being kicked out, but does care about references as it affects future employment.

ReputationRep:
    Lighter fluid, caustic soda and a natural pigment.
    So you need to look at the exact wording of the university governance which was used to justify your expulsion.

If there were specific exclusions and conditions around the use of lockers e.g. "no hazardous or flammable materials to be stored in lockers" then you've got a hard job to appeal. You have to argue that lighter fluid and caustic soda aren't hazardous or flammable, that you weren't aware of the regulations which prohibited keeping them in your locker (maybe locker rules aren't published anywhere or you weren't made aware of them), or that using a breach of the locker conditions to throw you out is disproportionate. That last one is probably your best bet unless the uni can produce a precedent where they've done it before.

If they've used some catch-all piece of general university governance, then you could appeal on the specifics. There's usually something in the small print about "behaving responsibly at all times" or "not engaging in behaviour which puts yourself or other students at risk". If that type of umbrella regulation has been used, then you could argue that the lighter fluid and caustic soda were stored safely, with no risk of accidentally catching fire or spilling, and that they were therefore not inherently hazardous or dangerous to others whilst in your locker. You could also try taking the line that you were unaware that keeping lighter fluid, caustic soda and pigment in your locker, was effectvely prohibited by this governance, or again, that you weren't aware of the regulations at all. However, unis generally go out of their way to point you to the small print - either on paper or online - and will argue that if you didn't read or understand them, then that's your problem and not a valid defence.

Whilst the uni is never going to be able to prove intent, in your specific situation they've ensure that they don't have to. They've clearly gone for the fire risk angle in order to circumvent that aspect. Any appeal will have to go for the legal wording and technicalities.

Remind us again why you had lighter fluid, caustic soda and pigment stored in your locker?

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to delete this thread, it must be really easy to identify you by anyone who knows even the basic details of your situation, and the posts you've made make it sound like there's more going on that you're saying. Don't risk having someone stumble across this thread and recognise you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    I would advise you to delete this thread, it must be really easy to identify you by anyone who knows even the basic details of your situation, and the posts you've made make it sound like there's more going on that you're saying. Don't risk having someone stumble across this thread and recognise you.

i don't think it's possible to delete threads, except if there has been some sort of abuse. TSR tightened the rules a while back .

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.