Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annuhlees)
    have you thought about changing the way you look upon your life? I used to be badly bullied throughout school and never had any 'real' friends. I moved to another school for 6th form and even tho i talk to people during lunch time i don't have any 'real' friends. I've got to the point in my life where i'm happy being alone, i enjoy my own company now and don't care what others think. For example, a couple of years ago i would of never gone shopping on my own incase someone saw me from school and thought 'what a loser'. Now, i go on my own all the time as i find it more enjoyable to have my headphones in and be able to shop at my own rate. I also see many people from my school 'the cool kids', shopping their own two without a care in the world.

I recently got back from a school trip to barcelona. I wasn't friends with anybody on the trip beforehand as i shared no subjects with anyone. I teamed up with another girl as we were the only girls in year 13 going. The first night i just walked up to another group staying in the hostel and said 'hi'. It was really hard to do but i was in the mood of '**** it' and if they say go away it's okay cause i'll never see them again as they're irish. We became really good friends with this group of ten, we went out clubbing two nights and sat around a table on night with a few bottles of vodka singing queen. I've got them all on fb now and it was the greatest experience ever.

I've noticed that people don't care or notice we just make ourselves feel paranoid and nothing is worse than that feeling. Also, i used to be quite depressed that i wasn't in a close friendship group (i'm female so not having bffs was a big deal) so i guess i was quite depressing to be around. I guess it's a horrible circle 'not being able to get friends because you're depressed' 'being depressed because you don't have any friends'. I fount just lighten up abit, don't worry what people are thinking about you as they're not perfect and i'm sure they're thinking the same thing as the majority of teenagers are a little depressed and are paranoid what others are thinking.

I'm going to south east asia alone this summer, i'll meet loads of new people but if i don't i'll be happy on my own with a book. You'll meet a friend, only if it's just one. Have you thought about just speaking to someone on fb and saying 'hi, how's college? I thought i see how're you're doing '

good luck
    well said +rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRedBull1995)
    Thanks, I will try this today / tomorrow. Also, thanks for being there to talk to
    I am on TSR most days revising chem, bio etc. Send me a PM if you want to talk. (y) :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying and get yourself out there; I spent most of year 11 in a separate room because I had panic attacks in classooms, yet here I am 3 years later having been accepted, after some pretty intense group interviews, to study nursing, and with a part-time job in customer service.

Just set yourself a goal a day; whether that is to make contact with an old friend, have a conversation with a person on the till in the supermarket or ask about job openings at a local cafe. Anxiety is a wave; it will increase until it feels totally unbearable, but then it will decrease. And each time you "ride the wave", the peak will come lower and lower until you don't even notice the panic anymore.

Might sound a bit bizarre, but have you considered joining a choir? Music really helped me overcome some of my anxiety. But I have to say, getting a job where I have to talk to strangers pretty much constantly was the thing that really helped me overcome my fears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    -
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    Nice going guys, stories like yours inspire me (y). Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRedBull1995)
    Thanks
    You are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummitOfReason)
    Lol, no it's not. Some things aren't. **** happens and it's not a result of our actions sometimes. But it's to do with how you recieve and deal with the negativity; it's about not letting the bad things define you.
    Well that's exactly what I mean. **** does happen but as you say it's doen yo how you deal with it. It's all down to the person.

ReputationRep:
    hey how old are you may i ask? you seem like a really decent person, i too suffer from most of the stuff you spoke about, im 24..i have no friends at all, i sit around day and night by myself, getting depressed over it..maybe we could meet up sometime

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.