Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Putting protein into perspective Watch

ReputationRep:
    IMO you should only be using whey protein as a supplement. I basically got 80% of my protein from shakes and the rest from a tuna sandwich in my A2 year of college. By summertime my whole stomach was ****ed, was not nice at all so have as much protein as possible from food. Protein from food will always trump protein shakes.

"Whole foods have a major advantage over protein supplements — they stimulate the metabolism more and take more time and energy to be digested and absorbed than shakes. This is known as the Thermic Effect and while all protein scores the highest — around 30 per cent of all the energy it provides is used up in processing — your body uses more energy to metabolise steak than a protein shake. Fat has a Thermic Effect of around 3 per cent and carbohydrates range from five to 30 per cent of all available calories."

and lastly you need the micro nutrients from the wholefoods anyway. soo use it as a supplement and not a food source!!!

(all my opinion apart from that bit in the quote)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    Yeah, really good mate. I've got 1kg of unflavoured myself to use in cooking.. It'll go in cheese sauces, gravy, tomato sauces.. It doesn't taste great by itself as a shake, but it's certainly not gagworthy. You get more protein for your money with the unpowdered, and it's cheaper too.

To improve the taste you can add some nesquik powder or even flavoured syrup (the Da Vinci brand has some pretty good sugar free ones). They are a bit expensive, especially if you have to factor in delivery, but it improves the taste without added sugar.
    I actually really like the taste of the unflavoured, I mix 30g with about 200ml of milk and 125g blended oats, though it tastes fine with water as well imo. It's worth considering for the price difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    IMO you should only be using whey protein as a supplement. I basically got 80% of my protein from shakes and the rest from a tuna sandwich in my A2 year of college. By summertime my whole stomach was ****ed, was not nice at all so have as much protein as possible from food. Protein from food will always trump protein shakes.

"Whole foods have a major advantage over protein supplements — they stimulate the metabolism more and take more time and energy to be digested and absorbed than shakes. This is known as the Thermic Effect and while all protein scores the highest — around 30 per cent of all the energy it provides is used up in processing — your body uses more energy to metabolise steak than a protein shake. Fat has a Thermic Effect of around 3 per cent and carbohydrates range from five to 30 per cent of all available calories."

and lastly you need the micro nutrients from the wholefoods anyway. soo use it as a supplement and not a food source!!!

(all my opinion apart from that bit in the quote)
    Found that pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. Were you also lacking in vitamins or would you say you'd mess your stomach up even if you're hitting your macros? Also, for a bedtime shake, apart from choosing casein whey, how else could you get the protein to be digested slower? Is it even possible?

(Original post by Jono404)
    I actually really like the taste of the unflavoured, I mix 30g with about 200ml of milk and 125g blended oats, though it tastes fine with water as well imo. It's worth considering for the price difference.
    Lucky you man, I wasn't a fan. Obviously drinking it quicker helps but sometimes you just wanna take your time over a shake and I couldn't imagine enjoying slow sips.

ReputationRep:
    Found that pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. Were you also lacking in vitamins or would you say you'd mess your stomach up even if you're hitting your macros? Also, for a bedtime shake, apart from choosing casein whey, how else could you get the protein to be digested slower? Is it even possible?
    I generally sleep on an empty stomach I don't buy into the marketing hype for casien. I studied biology at A-level and bro an amino acid is an amino acid wether you got it from a plant whey or a chicken breast so digestion should be the same as the same enzymes are used to digest protien. and as long as you hit your macros you wont lose out on dem muscle gainzzzz. and to the first part:

I was always hitting my macros but i was living on bread, peanut butter, tuna, oats and whey so there were hardly any micro nutrients, no vitamins or minerals. Although i was effective and simple it was not healthy and I seriously see the effects fruits and veggies have. And wouldnt you rather have a barbecued steak over 500ml of whey that tastes like ****???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    I generally sleep on an empty stomach I don't buy into the marketing hype for casien. I studied biology at A-level and bro an amino acid is an amino acid wether you got it from a plant whey or a chicken breast so digestion should be the same as the same enzymes are used to digest protien. and as long as you hit your macros you wont lose out on dem muscle gainzzzz. and to the first part:

I was always hitting my macros but i was living on bread, peanut butter, tuna, oats and whey so there were hardly any micro nutrients, no vitamins or minerals. Although i was effective and simple it was not healthy and I seriously see the effects fruits and veggies have. And wouldnt you rather have a barbecued steak over 500ml of whey that tastes like ****???
    The whole point is, what can you afford.. Of course given the choice you'd pick a steak every time but if you don't have the money, whey is a better option. It's not gonna mess up your stomach if you're getting your vitamins and minerals. That's what messed you up, not the having whey instead of real protein.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point is, what can you afford.. Of course given the choice you'd pick a steak every time but if you don't have the money, whey is a better option. It's not gonna mess up your stomach if you're getting your vitamins and minerals. That's what messed you up, not the having whey instead of real protein.
    YH i agree with you there aslong as you are getting your micronutrients it doesn't matter what form of protien you take in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.