Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Maybe go visit the universities you'd like to get into? Show yourself all that you'd miss out on if you don't work hard now. Or you could go the other way, and look at crappy places that you'd have to go to if you fail, and hope the push factor gets you started

I was in the same situation as you, and I really couldn't get motivated at all, even though I'd already received rejection letters from a couple of schools. I signed up for extra classes, volunteered to tutor people and basically made commitments that I couldn't pull out of, to make sure I was forced into studying/revising. It really helped get the ball rolling! Haha

ReputationRep:
    Get a photo of the university you want to go to and stick it on your wall

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just accept you're mediocre at best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Get a photo of the university you want to go to and stick it on your wall
    I have no idea about universities that I'd like to go to. I'm not even sure that I want to go to university.

(Original post by gernumbli-gardensi)
    Maybe go visit the universities you'd like to get into? Show yourself all that you'd miss out on if you don't work hard now. Or you could go the other way, and look at crappy places that you'd have to go to if you fail, and hope the push factor gets you started

I was in the same situation as you, and I really couldn't get motivated at all, even though I'd already received rejection letters from a couple of schools. I signed up for extra classes, volunteered to tutor people and basically made commitments that I couldn't pull out of, to make sure I was forced into studying/revising. It really helped get the ball rolling! Haha
    Is there even time to start, though? My exams start in about 5 weeks - I don't know if I can really manage to fix things in time.

(Original post by Table dust)
    just accept you're mediocre at best
    Why would I accept something that is blatantly untrue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfSabotage)
    AS exams! This is your life-changing opportunity so get revising noob. Everything is possible in year 12, by year 13 you're applying to universities and believe me UCAS opportunities will be distributed from each according to his merit.

I've known people having CDD in their January exams and then resitting and getting AAA and applying to five Russell Group universities.

I've worked extremely hard and got a decent UMS and actually made it to Cambridge but preferred LSE and I know exactly what it was like in year 12 but trust me this is your turning point in life.

Get revising, you'll rest as soon as early June and by that time you want to have that feeling that you have done absolutely everything you could in your capacity and power.

Even if you fail - which is highly unlikely - you'll be able to make a statement that you've done everything you could.
    I saw this post after sleeping and it gave me the motivation to revise chemistry (which is a miracle) - keep doing what you doing

ReputationRep:
    simply force yourself, it's hard to avoid distractions but force yourself to do a certain amount of work, trust me it's better than tears and depression on exam day. If you need motivation; talk to family, not friends because they are probs revising right now. Now I'm going to revise- break time over. Best wishes for your exams and everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    You're sitting in the exam and you turn the page and think "oh god, I have no idea, I wish I'd revised more" or "yes, I know this and I can pace myself because I know my stuff and I'm calm"

Then on results day "I wish I'd revised more, I have to change my plans and which uni I apply to because of these grades, how much are resits?" Or "yay! I'm so happy! I've worked hard and deserve these grades, it's what I'm capable of"

Because that's what happened to me on AS results day (did rubbish) and then jan resits I was happy with my results. The difference was determination and working instead of panicking and stressing about working. Take a day off, get it out of your system. Work hard, play hard. You have time, YOU CAN DO IT!

ReputationRep:
    ''Don’t make a habit out of choosing what feels good over what’s actually good for you.”

“Avoid being your own enemy.”

“You can change environments, but until you change yourself, nothing else will ever change.”

“What you envision in your mind, how you see yourself, and how you envision the world around you is of great importance because those things become your focus.”

“You cannot afford to live in potential for the rest of your life; at some point, you have to unleash the potential and make your move(ment).”

“Things change for the better when we take responsibility for our own thoughts, decisions and actions.”

“There is power in one’s spirit – the power to empower and the power to suppress.”

“You will not experience all life has to offer you or begin to experience life at its fullest as long as you are satisfied with mediocrity. You have to be disgusted with your current circumstances before your circumstances can change.”

“At some point in life you have to face your fears, and head on even though you can’t be sure of the outcome. A great deal of people will never reach their dreams and it won’t have anything to do with their ability or skill set. They won’t reach their dreams because they were too afraid to try.”

“If I had never taken the test, I could always say I would have passed if I had taken it, I just did not feel like taking it. That way I would never have to face my fears and I could create this illusion in my mind to prevent me from feeling like a failure. I was good at that.”

“I soon discovered, dreaming is one thing, but at some point I had to get up, get out and get something.”

“There is nothing wrong with dreaming big dreams, just know that all roads that lead to success have to pass through Hardwork Boulevard at some point.”

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Don’t cry to quit, cry to keep going. You’re already in pain, get something for it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been like that recently, but it's mainly due to the fact that I desperately want to leave school and never see that place again, can't wait 'til next month! But although I feel so demotivated and just want to stay in bed watching rubbish daytime telly and eating a lot of cake, I'm forcing myself to do the work as I really need the grades to get into uni. Force yourself to sit up and do some work, but give yourself some breaks in between for, say, cake. I find that leaving work until the evening helps me, as soon as Deal or No Deal starts, I get up and go to my room to do some work and stay there until around 9:30 (or whenever I finish), but then again, some people like to start as soon as they wake up and work all day, but I reckon this is just going to make you even more demotivated the next day. Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    I'm meant to have done revision over the past week and a half, for my upcoming AS exams, and have done none. (Just as I have done no work besides homework throughout this first year of sixth form)

No matter what I do, I can't get myself to do work - I just don't care about it. I do want to go to a good university, and I realise that the work I do now will directly impact my chances of that, but despite knowing this, I still don't care.

Maybe I don't believe that these exams matter, or perhaps I even enjoy doing badly; I just don't understand why I don't want to work.

Any advice?
    Try not to stress too much dude, I had exactly the same problem. I went through the first few years of high school with no problems whatsoever. Then after i had made my subject choices things changed. I'd chosen courses that i believed would end with good jobs, not that i enjoyed. I ended up failing them all and left school with one higher (not sure what that translates to in the English system). After this i came to the realization that throughout all of high school i followed orders, i listened intently to the subject teachers said were more academic, i sat through classes taking in nothing. After this i thought i was done with education, even considered joining the army but a friend convinced me to have a look at college.

I spent weeks flicking through the courses on my own (that part is incredibly important) with no advice, all me. I chose the social sciences and I've never looked back, for the first time in a couple of years education was fun again and i later left college will all A's and was accepted into a decent university.

Making mistakes at school is not how its portrayed, you don't get thrown on a pile and filtered into low paid jobs. You need to find your calling, no matter what it is or what jobs it results in. I promise you that studying something that interests you will make the biggest difference. In terms of your upcoming exams, try your hardest, and when they're finished step back and have a really long think about what you want to do, you wont regret it.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luca-cunn)
    Try not to stress too much dude, I had exactly the same problem. I went through the first few years of high school with no problems whatsoever. Then after i had made my subject choices things changed. I'd chosen courses that i believed would end with good jobs, not that i enjoyed. I ended up failing them all and left school with one higher (not sure what that translates to in the English system). After this i came to the realization that throughout all of high school i followed orders, i listened intently to the subject teachers said were more academic, i sat through classes taking in nothing. After this i thought i was done with education, even considered joining the army but a friend convinced me to have a look at college.

I spent weeks flicking through the courses on my own (that part is incredibly important) with no advice, all me. I chose the social sciences and I've never looked back, for the first time in a couple of years education was fun again and i later left college will all A's and was accepted into a decent university.

Making mistakes at school is not how its portrayed, you don't get thrown on a pile and filtered into low paid jobs. You need to find your calling, no matter what it is or what jobs it results in. I promise you that studying something that interests you will make the biggest difference. In terms of your upcoming exams, try your hardest, and when they're finished step back and have a really long think about what you want to do, you wont regret it.

Good Luck!
    How do I do that? I've picked subjects such as mathematics and physics which I don't care about, all I care about is computing but I need good results in my college subjects to get into university to allow me to study computing...

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    This happens to a lot of sixth formers, and students. You are not alone but what can you do? Students can take a year off and try to get temporary work, I did this and got motivated again - there was no way I wanted to spend years doing that sort of work! Sixth formers have got more of a problem because they have got to stick at it. This is my advice for sixth formers:

No marijuana, not even on Friday! The main effect of marihuana is demotivation!

Start jogging, get fit.

Do written notes, stay away from that time wasting computer! Ration yourself if you have to do Facebook, do it for exactly 10 minutes only.

Stop watching telly and read. Read some light books in your subject area to get a bit of enthusiasm - popular science in science, historical fiction in history etc. Stuff you can read in a few hours without putting it down.

If there are "nerds" in your class who actually enjoy their subject then talk to them sometimes about the subjects. Don't be coy, when you get to be a postgrad in your twenties these labels of nerd etc. slip away and they start to slip when you are in the sixth form.

Get organised. Use study skills. Sit down for an hour with your notes and condense them into headings. If you dont have any notes ask a friend to borrow theirs and copy them out by hand. Set an exact hour and work to it then do some exercise.

During A Levels you can't go out for more than 2 nights a week. Evil but true.

Good luck. If this all fails then remember that education is not everything, cocking up university entrance is a big problem but it is no worse than a score of other disasters that will happen in later life, what counts is that you pick yourself up and get on with another way forward from charity work to selling windows. You'll find there are a thousand other ways forward. But, if you can, try to win the race and get past the exams for now.

ReputationRep:
    You've still got time! It will be a shame to waste it now!

Every bit of revision counts, so start now! Think about how pleased you'll be when you get awesome grades, knowing that you worked your butt off for them!

I think nearly everyone had been in your shoes, so don't feel like you're alone!

Put your mind in a good place, and rid all possible distractions, TV off, phone off whatever floats your boat, and choose a really hard question to do with your subject, pretend you're in exams and rack your brain for possible answers.

If you find you are struggling to come up with an answer, this is not good, and use this as a starting point for revision, as trust me...it would SUCK to be in that situation in the exam hall if you know what I'm saying.

Remember to break during revision though, as usually if I go on for too long my brain begins to shut down and I really can't concentrate and NOTHING goes in.

Best of luck, keep strong and you'll do it! Even if you don't get the grades you want this year, trust me...getting grades you're not proud of will motivate you even further, but that's only the worst case scenario, so try getting the best grades you can now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    How do I do that? I've picked subjects such as mathematics and physics which I don't care about, all I care about is computing but I need good results in my college subjects to get into university to allow me to study computing...

Posted from TSR iPad
    You sit and have ha really long think! When your in computing are you genuinely interested in what your teacher says and do you remember it all. You can't love computing all that much if you can't revise for it, is there a specific area in computing that you like best, maybe look into that? Another thing don't stress about time! That's really important the education system doesn't have any age requirements if you leave school and spend a few years at college its no different from going to uni straight from school. Infact i would say it makes more sense to go college first as it will make handling with the expectations of uni easier. Besides all that its common for people not to react well to teaching methods in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luca-cunn)
    You sit and have ha really long think! When your in computing are you genuinely interested in what your teacher says and do you remember it all. You can't love computing all that much if you can't revise for it, is there a specific area in computing that you like best, maybe look into that? Another thing don't stress about time! That's really important the education system doesn't have any age requirements if you leave school and spend a few years at college its no different from going to uni straight from school. Infact i would say it makes more sense to go college first as it will make handling with the expectations of uni easier. Besides all that its common for people not to react well to teaching methods in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nono Computing is the subject I love. It's all I care about and because of this I could revise it all day long. It's just everything else I hate. But I NEED everything else to get into uni, if that makes sense..

ReputationRep:
    Is there even time to start, though? My exams start in about 5 weeks - I don't know if I can really manage to fix things in time.
    Yes yes yes yes yes YES :borat: 5 weeks is a lot of time, more than you'd think! Even if you don't think you'll be ready in 5 weeks, what revision you can get done in that time would still help tremendously.

Sign up for extra classes or ask your teachers to see if they'd be able to make time for a couple of tutor sessions with you (even if you feel like your insides are being hacked at with a blunt axe while you're at it).

I think you'll pull out of your cycle once you get started. Cheers :beer:

ReputationRep:
    I'm meant to have done revision over the past week and a half, for my upcoming AS exams, and have done none. (Just as I have done no work besides homework throughout this first year of sixth form)

No matter what I do, I can't get myself to do work - I just don't care about it. I do want to go to a good university, and I realise that the work I do now will directly impact my chances of that, but despite knowing this, I still don't care.

Maybe I don't believe that these exams matter, or perhaps I even enjoy doing badly; I just don't understand why I don't want to work.

Any advice?
    This describes me perfectly. Like you, I'm aware in an ambiguous sort of way that these exams (although in my case, Scottish Highers) will have an impact on my university choice, etc, yet I can't seem to muster up any sense of caring.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    Hi,

I felt the exact same last year when I was doing my AS exams for a while. My tip for getting motivated was to find something that to work towards. I found my dream university and knew what grades I needed to work for and I told myself that if I felt like I'd put one hundred per cent into my exams then I would be able go and do something special over the holidays, which my mum supported me with. I think you need to find something to work towards if you're going to really get motivated.

Hopefully that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    No marijuana, not even on Friday! The main effect of marihuana is demotivation!
    That's really helpful. :boring:

Start jogging, get fit.
    I am fit enough at the moment - I cycle to college most days.

Stop watching telly and read. Read some light books in your subject area to get a bit of enthusiasm - popular science in science, historical fiction in history etc. Stuff you can read in a few hours without putting it down.
    I do read a lot, and I never watch TV.

If there are "nerds" in your class who actually enjoy their subject then talk to them sometimes about the subjects. Don't be coy, when you get to be a postgrad in your twenties these labels of nerd etc. slip away and they start to slip when you are in the sixth form.
    I am a nerd, and I do enjoy maths and computing, I just hate college and hate working for exams.

During A Levels you can't go out for more than 2 nights a week. Evil but true.
    I don't "go out". Ever.

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful. :boring:

I am fit enough at the moment - I cycle to college most days.

I do read a lot, and I never watch TV.

I am a nerd, and I do enjoy maths and computing, I just hate college and hate working for exams.

I don't "go out". Ever.
    I feel you. I like reading around my subjects and watching foreign films (for French and German) etc, but when it comes to actually revising for exams, it's dull as ditchwater.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.