Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you're really worried, why not buy one of those metal canister thingummies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Not like that's going to melt the plastic, making toxic any water you put inside right?
    Well I don't fill it up right away, and rinse it a couple of times, so I'm sure it's fine. I'm still alive, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you are really THAT concerned about it, why not just buy something like this just to be safe (costs £7)

Link

Name:  bottle.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  246.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    I know they say that but I don't think it causes any long term damage. Unless its photodegradable plastic and you leave it in sunlight..
    I have noticed after a couple of weeks it has a chlorinated smell so I tend to throw them out, even though I resent buying bottles water. I know, I should get the reusable ones but they're usually heavier and less practical. Plus the one I have has Minnie Mouse on the side

ReputationRep:
    If plastic bottles shouldn't be reused then why do sport shops sell them as sports bottles?

Sounds like unnecessary hype to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Also, tap water is actually healthier than bottled water given bottled water given tap water is fluorinated which helps fight tooth decay. =)

10% of the people in the UK recieved fluorinated water and hopefully, will increase.
    Excess fluorine is also dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Ummmm... I've been reusing one for over 6 months. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Excess fluorine is also dangerous.
    Unless you are drinking water through a bet, I doubt you will overdose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDevilThing)
    Ummmm... I've been reusing one for over 6 months. :afraid:
    Run to hospital...
    Immediately and have your stomach pumped...

Joke...
    Or was I?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing it's just because bacteria would build up, especially around the top where you drink from - so all you need to do is wash it out from time to time.

I don't think toxins from the plastic itself is any concern whatsoever (unless you're using the same bottle for several years...)

ReputationRep:
    This topic actually came up not that long ago with my flatmates. I had no idea you were not meant to do it, I have had the same cheap plastic bottle that I have been using for about 6 months. It holds water, it doesn't leak, tastes fine, I see nothing wrong.

My flatmate seems to think it is a terrible thing to do. I haven't died yet, so I am just going to carry on and assume all is well.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that over time the plastic degrades slightly and hence you're drinking the plastic in xD not sure whether this claim is factual or not, but if you buy a proper water bottle which are made out of a different plastic, than they are safe to drink from.
    However I always reuse my bottles, washing them first of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    oh..that's not good, so you would say buy a new one at least once every 3 days?
    Depending on how often I break/lose bottles I tend to buy one every week or two.

ReputationRep:
    I reuse plastic bottles all the time (been using the same bottle for months) and have been doing so for years. I heard that it's a myth that they release toxins into the contents. Plastic bottles have to be thoroughly tested to make sure they don't do this.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/canc...lasticbottles/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    I have a question, is it true your not supposed to re-use your bottle, more than three days?? someone told me this today, and I don't know if it's true. I've been drinking out of my bottle for almost a month! saves money, I don't agree with 'buying' water!

Suggestions please? Thank you

(p.s. not sure if this is posted in the right place.)
    it is perfectly normal to use it however many times you feel like unless you think it smells wired or looks dirty then you obviously would change the bottle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Unless you are drinking water through a bet, I doubt you will overdose...
    Sure its unlikely that you'll get fluorine poisoning, but high levels of fluorine can also increase the risk of bone fractures.

I drink tap water btw, I was just pointing out that there are negatives to fluoride.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright isn't it? It's just a bottle, not a tampon.

ReputationRep:
    don't get the bacteria risk, surely the same 'problem' would come with those specifically-made reusable bottles - like the ones you see on football matches

what makes these ordinary bottles more prone to being infected by bacteria?

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, I used to do it all the time at school. If it tastes funny, don't drink it. If it looks funny, don't drink it. Chances are if you keep it of direct sunlight it'll be fine for quite a while.

ReputationRep:
    I re-use bottles many times and nothing has happened to me, I just wash it between uses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.