Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has Feminism lost its relevance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the thread title reminds me of a sociology essay question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    That was a really interesting article, thanks for posting it . However, I would be interpreted to know the sample size used in the research, and would question how applicable that study of college graduates in America is to all women in the UK. Not necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying, but it does pose some more questions.

To be honest, I didn't understand your last paragraph. I don't remember saying anything about a men having a "right" to rape women...
    I've just never understood the logic behind bringing rape into feminism, when feminism is supposed to be about equal rights for women. No one has the "right" to rape, so it's already equal.

The whole gender pay gap is also a difficult one. Equal pay for the sake of equal pay could well ruin a system where people are paid on merit, or specifically for skills and experience. It also depends on how lucrative any given sector is.

Going off on a tangent here - but I never understood how communists could justify that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    You've said yourself that equality of opportunity does not exist in Britain. Women suffer considerable disadvantages in the job market, and there is a strong argument that the judicial system is biased, in some respects, against women, where they are judged not as people, but assessed by motherly and wifely capacity, and are blamed for being raped. Something coming to the fore a lot recently has been the flagrant misogyny of 'Lad culture', where women are objectified, derided and mocked, and this is passed off as 'banter', when in reality, it continually reaffirms damaging and misogynistic stereotypes about women, supporting their subordination.

It's hugely underreported by the media, but sexual harassment remains incredibly high in universities. I think the York SU conducted a study recently and found that over half of respondents to their survey had been sexually harassed, abused or groped during their time in university, and I expect this to be endemic across Britain.

Considering the fact that women are disadvantaged, underrepresented, bullied, harassed and abused in virtually every significant aspect of British society, I would say that feminism is still relevant, and has a lot of work to do to create a more egalitarian society.
    The York SU study wasn't a good study at all. They only studied 40 students from their university, all of which were women, which already suggests that the results are
    Going to be used to mislead people. They studied no men, the sample of women is tiny, they (iirc) only studied women from York university itself.

Also the judicial system is actually more biased against men, with women winning more divorce, custody cases. A man who donated sperm to a lesbian couble for instance has been forced to pay child support for that child, in America a boy can be raped and then forced to pay child support for the child. Poking holes in a condom to force a woman to get pregnant (not saying it ought not to be a jailiable offence) gets jailed, but an alarmingly large number of women believe it acceptable to lie about being on the pill but rarely get the wrap for it.

Moreover most people who I have seen call saying that one ought to have taken more precautionary actions is the same as victim blaming. Most people who I see say 'its her fault x happened to her. Tend to get flamed down.

I'd say more about your other statements, but they are rather broad and I just don't wanna comment on that on me blackberry

ReputationRep:
    Feminism was once useful, for example giving women the right to vote, compete in sports, be queen, be prime minister, be educated, go to work and not stay at home having babies because their husband told them they should!

But now, why should women be equal to men? Why shouldn't we rise above them...has anyone thought of that?!?

Feminism is still extremely important in a lot of third world countries, but in Britain women are well on their way to the top! I think it would be interesting to see how the men would feel being trapped at home to raise children, drink tea and gossip while their wives go out and enjoy and experience the world while having a high flying career!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Americandream)
    Feminism was once useful, for example giving women the right to vote, compete in sports, be queen, be prime minister, be educated, go to work and not stay at home having babies because their husband told them they should!

But now, why should women be equal to men? Why shouldn't we rise above them...has anyone thought of that?!?

Feminism is still extremely important in a lot of third world countries, but in Britain women are well on their way to the top! I think it would be interesting to see how the men would feel being trapped at home to raise children, drink tea and gossip while their wives go out and enjoy and experience the world while having a high flying career!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you ultimately want women to be the dominant sex, and not equality? And by the wording of that last sentence for revenge?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.