Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You did not previously suggest abundance ... you said that there was enough to meet daily needs

Are you now saying that there is excess
    There is enough to feed the whole island. But the Zebra Clan and Monkey Clan are selfish and won't share it with the Fool Clan for free because they like feeling rich.

ReputationRep:
    I can certainly see that there are moral issues raised with the topic of inheritance. Unregulated inheritance perpetuates an expansive divide between rich and poor, hence high taxation on it, which I definitely support.

The "slavery" that the fool clan sell themselves into can be viewed as "wage slavery" a modern, capitalist economy. The working class do not own any capital of their own, and must sell their labour in exchange for a disproportionately small amount of money. The reason that the amount of money is so small, at least at the beginning of their lives, is entirely predicated by the circumstances of birth.

Posters saying "life isn't fair, get over it" are foolish, IMO. It's a bit like saying "we can't cure cancer at the mo', let's not bother funding research". Total equality may never happen, but is it not desirable to get as close as damnit?

Put into modern context, I wouldn't ban inheritance, because it sparks a debate on ownership - do you truly own wealth, or does the state, since the state has enabled you to generate it, and your wealth is the product of a mutual trust in value between yourself, everyone else, and the state. I don't really know the answer to that question, but I do support high taxation of inheritance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How, pray tell, did the fools clan come into existence anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    There is enough to feed the whole island. But the Zebra Clan and Monkey Clan are selfish and won't share it with the Fool Clan for free because they like feeling rich.
    And can you answer my other question

How do the Fool child's parents survive?

ReputationRep:
    The problem isn't so much the inheritance as the private ownership of the productive parts of the island in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transformational)
    How, pray tell, did the fools clan come into existence anyway?
    Well the rocks used to contain coal which they would sell so the other clans could cook their food and have smoked fish and coconut pie. But then the coal ran out.

ReputationRep:
    And, another question

If the Monkey and Zebra clans decide to distribute the excess to the Fool clan (or if the emperor insists on this) ... does that make it ok

ReputationRep:
    Well the rocks used to contain coal which they would sell so the other clans could cook their food and have smoked fish and coconut pie. But then the coal ran out.

So you are saying that it was actually a lack of financial planning that has placed the Fools in this situation

How do the Monkeys and Zebras cook their food now?

ReputationRep:
    And, another question

If the Monkey and Zebra clans decide to distribute the excess to the Fool clan (or if the emperor insists on this) ... does that make it ok
    Well that would make the Fool Clan dependent on welfare. Doesn't sound good to me.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that my issue with your scenario is that I was born a Fool, but through my hard work for the Emperor, I now have an inheritance to pass to my children

Your simplified system does not allow for this

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying that it was actually a lack of financial planning that has placed the Fools in this situation

How do the Monkeys and Zebras cook their food now?
    They eat it raw. Like sushi. But the Clans have lived on there third of the island for five hundred years. And when everyone realised that the coal was going to run out nobody wanted to purchase the land off the Fool Clan. So should the children be cursed by the decisions of their ancestors 500 years ago?

ReputationRep:
    Well that would make the Fool Clan dependent on welfare. Doesn't sound good to me.
    So it is not the issue of starvation that you object to ... you simply object to ownership

And I am still waiting for you to explain how the Fool child's parents survive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    The problem isn't so much the inheritance as the private ownership of the productive parts of the island in the first place.
    I expect they inherited them.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't the Fool Clan throw their rocks at the other two clans and steal their coconut's and fish!

ReputationRep:
    So it is not the issue of starvation that you object to ... you simply object to ownership
    Hmm... You got me there. I don't think there is a solution. I just think as it stands this doesn't seem very fair. Obviously it would be nice if everyone shared everything but human beings are greedy and want power and in the end someone will lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Why don't the Fool Clan throw their rocks at the other two clans and steal their coconut's and fish!
    Are you advocating a revolution?

So many communists in the Student Room. Hehe. I jokes.

ReputationRep:
    But why should the Fool Clan children be born worse off than the other children and potentially starve when they live on an island abundant with coconuts and fish ponds which unfortunately because of inheritance laws they have no access to?
    Your analogy is flawed if you're trying to compare it to our society though. Because the Fool Clan would recieve welfare and so forth. What right do they have to the wealth of the other clans?

ReputationRep:
    Its semantics. Yes they can seek paid employment. But there are no jobs because the other clans are self sufficient.
    There cannot be no jobs. Even if the monkey and zebra clan lands are filled with coconuts and fish, someone has to gather them. Someone has to transport the excess to the other rich clan to trade. Someone has to protect the monkeys and zebras from angry fools, who would presumably at some point try to take the resources by force.

All that takes effort, and if the monkeys and zebras are as fat and lazy as you say they are they'd much rather get someone else to do it for them - such as fools who are willing to work for a living.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with progressive and fairly radical inheritance tax. But I also agree with old people selling their possessions to pay for their healthcare so I'm genuinely against the grain when it comes to such issues. My main concern is the concentration of wealth and the class system that inheritance contributes to. I believe that if inheritance were taxed to such an extent that money could be invested in housing and education allowing greater social mobility and a class system (I acknowledge that there will always be a hierarchy in society) based on achievement of the self, not one's forefathers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    There cannot be no jobs. Even if the monkey and zebra clan lands are filled with coconuts and fish, someone has to gather them. Someone has to transport the excess to the other rich clan to trade. Someone has to protect the monkeys and zebras from angry fools, who would presumably at some point try to take the resources by force.

All that takes effort, and if the monkeys and zebras are as fat and lazy as you say they are they'd much rather get someone else to do it for them - such as fools who are willing to work for a living.
    It interesting that a lot of people have said "there have to be jobs". Even though I very carefully described a situation in which two clans are living quite self sufficiently gathering their coconuts and exchanging them for fish. And have not need for anything else. Where are the jobs? Sometimes there just are no jobs.

I think this is because we are brought up to believe that there must always be an equal number of jobs to the number of people in a country. And that if we put people on welfare it will only be temporary until new jobs come along.

Another extreme example will prove this.

Island B has one person and his coconut tree he is quite self sufficient.

Then along washes up on shore a boat of 100 immigrants wanting jobs. But there ARE NO JOBS. There is just one man and his coconut tree and he aint giving them out for free.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.