The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Age when starting St. Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eil_C
I'm going to be 17 and won't be 18 til the end of January. Hopefully that won't be too bad!! I always end up feeling young around my year mates!!!

Haha, same! Won't be 18 until the very last day of Jan
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
Original post by Shengis14

I am a whole 4 days older than you then!!! Always worth a cheer when I'm older than someone...
What are you going to study? :smile:
A whole four days of getting drunk while I sit sober, I'm jealous. and medicine, what about you?
Reply 23
Oh wow! Science was never my thing! I'm doing French, German and Spanish! I'm actually so excited about going. Petrified too.
Had a nightmare the other night that my sister kicked me out of the house in mid-July and told me not to come back. Hahaha.
scottish students go to uni a year earlier than english so a lot will be 17/just turned 18
Original post by deedee123
scottish students go to uni a year earlier than english so a lot will be 17/just turned 18

Same with most North American students; we finish high school the year we turn 18 (usually).
Original post by Eil_C
Oh wow! Science was never my thing! I'm doing French, German and Spanish! I'm actually so excited about going. Petrified too.
Had a nightmare the other night that my sister kicked me out of the house in mid-July and told me not to come back. Hahaha.

Three languages is exceptionally impressive, I only have an Int 2 in spanish. I'm terrified as well, I'm actually going to know nobody. Not a single person from my school is going.
Reply 27
Three languages is exceptionally impressive, I only have an Int 2 in spanish. I'm terrified as well, I'm actually going to know nobody. Not a single person from my school is going.

I reckon I'll know a couple of people - not from my school though. Mainly through Guiding, sad as that sounds!

I think that starting from scratch is a really good thing though - it's a good opportunity to make new friends and for me, I'm kinda hoping that it's going to be the start of the rest of my life. (It's my aim to live in clichés, but you know - whatever floats your boat!!)

Original post by Eil_C

I reckon I'll know a couple of people - not from my school though. Mainly through Guiding, sad as that sounds!

I think that starting from scratch is a really good thing though - it's a good opportunity to make new friends and for me, I'm kinda hoping that it's going to be the start of the rest of my life. (It's my aim to live in clichés, but you know - whatever floats your boat!!)

Hey, at least you know people and won't be standing like a loner on the first day. (Yay me)
Maybe that'll work out for me, but i bet it won't. I can practically see the terrible first impression i'm going to make already
Hey, at least you know people and won't be standing like a loner on the first day. (Yay me)
Maybe that'll work out for me, but i bet it won't. I can practically see the terrible first impression i'm going to make already

Don't worry about it; you definitely won't be the only one :smile:
Reply 30

Hi I'm Eilidh. Pleased to meet you! :smile: Hahaha. #frendzskilz
Original post by Eil_C
Hi I'm Eilidh. Pleased to meet you! :smile: Hahaha. #frendzskilz

Hello Eilidh, I'm Seamus. Very nice to (virtually) meet you!
I'll have turned 19 the month previous as I'm English and have had a gap year (:

I felt exactly the same way before I started but you just have to remember that everyone is in the same boat. Everyone wants to make friends so they'll all be really friendly and chatty (at least for the first few weeks/months). And don't be too worried about first impressions; as long as you seem friendly and not completely insane, people will like you. And besides, most of the first impressions of Fresher's Week get forgotten as you get to know everyone properly throughout the year.

And a whole 20 days older than me! Good to know there are some other young ones starting, I know a couple of people going but they are all 18 already!
Reply 35
Well, I'm studying abroad for a semester here, so I probably don't count, but I'm a junior in a US university and I'm 20 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending