Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've missed my period and I don't know why Watch

(Original post by $hadow)
    Sounds like Hypothalamic Amenorrhoea to me...

Go to your GP and get this checked out just to be on the safe side, other than that decrease your stress levels, as stress will naturally make your body progress into a Catabolic State; making you lose bone density and overall muscle mass which brings a host of other issues; get a normal eating routine and do not over exercise.

For anyone that is interested, some of the effects of a Catabolic State are below:

• Halt in synthesis of protein, fat and carbohydrate
    • Increased breakdown of protein, free fatty acids, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol for energy
    • Increased production of RBC and liver enzymes for energy
    • Decreased repair and replacement of cells with normally high turn-over (gut, skin, etc.)
    • Decreased production of cells for immune system (thymus shrinks, circulating white cells decrease)
    • Decreased sexual processes
    • Increased blood pressure, cardiac output
    • Increased salt and water retention
    • Impaired digestion
    I guess that's a possibility... I haven't been doing extreme dieting though, I don't think, I've lost about a stone since February, idk whether that would classify as extreme or not. I have been doing some exercise though, but no more than about 3-4 hours a week. I'll see a GP to find out more, thanks though

(Original post by kayleigh.fennell)
    Don't worry. I have irregular periods all the time! And it narrowed down to being stressed out, every now and then just relax and chill. Although, if it goes for 1/2 months then i would recommend to see the doctor, but it's nothing to be worried about!
    It's still going on but I'm not as freaked out about it as I was before, I'll see a doctor XD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I guess that's a possibility... I haven't been doing extreme dieting though, I don't think, I've lost about a stone since February, idk whether that would classify as extreme or not. I have been doing some exercise though, but no more than about 3-4 hours a week. I'll see a GP to find out more, thanks though
    I hope I'm wrong, but its better to be safe the sorry huh?

Good luck, and take care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How much did you weigh when things started to happen? And how much did you lose? I'm now 7st 8, still nothing :/
    Well, given that my height was 5ft 3 at the time, my periods dropped sometime between losing my previous weight (not sure what it was) to 39kg at the lowest. Obviously I was dangerously underweight, but even when reaching the "normal" BMI they still hadn't come back. It wasn't until I reached 57kg (8.9 stone) that my periods returned. I was lucky that they did.

Seeing as my weight fluctuated afterwards as I was not yet clinically discharged, the doctors could figure out that I would have to be at least 55kg in order to have regular (if any) periods.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.