Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    I think I get more annoyed by male sizes, which are based on actual sizes, but in some shops, are something like 4" larger than the claimed waistband. Stupid as anything.
    Thats ridiculous! I've given up on sizing. I got measured for my jeans and, by proper measurements, I'm a size 8, but in some shops size 6 clothes drop off me and there are times when size 14 tops barely fit. They should have a standardised sizing, and if people don't like it they should just accept their size or lose/gain weight accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    Not this again. Marilyn Monroe was clearly not a size 14.
    +1. Her bum is as flat as anything. Hardly the poster girl for "curves" :rolleyes:

She is actually very slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Do you not read magazines or see advertising? It's always teeny skinny girls telling you what to wear and how to look which is what makes women feel fat even if they're slim or healthy already. The media brainwashes people into believing that in order to be beautiful you have to be tiny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most magazines I notice seem to have celebrities telling you what to wear, holly willoughby seems to be a popular choice. Super models are very skinny but mainstream media usually slates them for it. I think it's about time people started realising there are far more important things than just being beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As there is no standardised sizing in the UK, everyone would be a different size in every shop. For example: I'm a size 10 jeans in RI, 12 in New Look, 14 in Topshop and 16/18 in H+M... This is probably what causes most women to feel like they're a weird size or fat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I could be bothered I'd find sources for what I'm about to say but I really can't so Google it.

Fat was attractive most likely because food was scarce, it was a sign of wealth that you could afford all that food and gorge on it. When sugar was first introduced people ate so much their teeth rotted just to show they could afford to too. Now with food readily available it's shifted to thin. The reason we find certain things attractive lay in evolutionary psychology (and personal stuff also)
    a hips to waist ratio of some 30%? not sure precisely is found attractive (child bearing hips and shows virility/health), having a symmetrical body is found attractive. Clear skin shows health etc crap like that that needs more studying to see why we find things attractive. So we see why people photoshop stuff to make them more attractive, because it sells, making the product with them look more attractive.

As for curvy or fat? Whatever, as long as they're happy but I don't think there are many who would rather be fat than skinny.
    I think we should all just try and be healthy, it's hard to do but we should at least try, whatever body we get from that is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Strong misc presence...
    gooby pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmaguire)
    As for curvy or fat? Whatever, as long as they're happy but I don't think there are many who would rather be fat than skinny.
    I think we should all just try and be healthy, it's hard to do but we should at least try, whatever body we get from that is fine.
    No it's not "whatever as long as you're happy" it should be "whatever as long as your healthy"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anime Lover)
    Thats ridiculous! I've given up on sizing. I got measured for my jeans and, by proper measurements, I'm a size 8, but in some shops size 6 clothes drop off me and there are times when size 14 tops barely fit. They should have a standardised sizing, and if people don't like it they should just accept their size or lose/gain weight accordingly.
    It's pretty moronic. Standardised sizes (which are actually just sizes) would save so much time for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    It's pretty moronic. Standardised sizes (which are actually just sizes) would save so much time for sure.
    I completely agree. If fat people aren't happy then it's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anime Lover)
    I completely agree. If fat people aren't happy then it's their problem.
    I'm so glad you're not running the country

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As there is no standardised sizing in the UK, everyone would be a different size in every shop. For example: I'm a size 10 jeans in RI, 12 in New Look, 14 in Topshop and 16/18 in H+M... This is probably what causes most women to feel like they're a weird size or fat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hate RI sizing!!!!! If they make their sizes bigger than anywhere else, the least they could do is offer size 4s (which would be more like a 6-8 in any other shop.) As for Topshop, I own a size 12 coat that is only just big enough from there, and I also own size 6 trousers with loads of space. I don't get the obsession with sizing, surely people can tell if you look fat or thin without knowing your size, and some size 16s have nice figures and some size 8s don't. They should revert back to the old sizing. I've been tempted to write letters of complaint to RI before now D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I think that for thousands of years and across a variety of countries and continents big was beautiful. It's the notion that thin is beautiful that's the comparatively recent arrival.
    Not it hasn't...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why? People should accept their size instead of being convinced that they're skinny! There's nothing wrong with people being a bigger size, but it's no use denying that they're bigger. I didn't mean to cause offense to larger people, there's nothing wrong with anyone's size unless it jeopardises their health

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of like smokers saying yellow teeth and coughing is sexy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I think that for thousands of years and across a variety of countries and continents big was beautiful. It's the notion that thin is beautiful that's the comparatively recent arrival.
    I'd have to disagre. I remember a interesting article from quiet a few years ago which I found http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6247625.stm.

There was trend for slightly larger women in the 17th and 18th centuries - a trend typified by the paintings of Rubens - but demand for a slimmer waist was generally constant throughout the centuries.

ReputationRep:
    Weight is such a big thing these days. As long as its not affecting your health I think everyone should look how they want to look and not be bullied into changing their bodies by people who think they're ugly. It's bullying and disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So should Physical Education be stopped in schools because its a form of bullying?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a fair point. If people are fine being fat, fine. But denying whatever size you actually are? Plain stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    I find the saying "Real women have curves" quite annoying. Are you saying that naturally slight girls aren't 'real' women? They're simply trying to deflect the attention away from themselves because they can't handle the truth that they aren't attractive.
    This brings up an entirely different debate of "what is curvy". In my opinion, I am curvy. I have hips, I have boobs, yet I am a size 8. When I was a size 20 I was called "curvy", which I was, but just on a larger scale (literally- I've kept the same shape). Oh, and I also have a personality! It manages to coexist with a slim figure- who knew!

People use "curvy" when they mean fat. And to be honest, big may well be beautiful, but in the majority of cases it sure as hell isn't healthy, and that's what's important in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Attractiveness shouldn't be how big you are. It should be from your personality.
    Most people's idea of fat isn't even fat. Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 - which would be called fat by the media and the public alike (not all public, hopefully) but curves were (and IMO still are) beautiful. You can still be healthy at a size sixteen. If your weight is affecting your health then you need to lose weight but not because of society's perceptions of what is beautiful or the 'correct' weight - for your own well being. Other people shouldn't dictate what is right for others to look like. There are models who are unhealthier than a lot of 'fat' people because they're undernourished.

And have you thought of people who are big through no fault of their own? Parents over feeding their children, health problems like thyroid issues, poly cystic ovaries etc, this things can make it near impossible for someone to lose weight.

Weight is such a big thing these days. As long as its not affecting your health I think everyone should look how they want to look and not be bullied into changing their bodies by people who think they're ugly. It's bullying and disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Size 14... really?

Remember that size 14 was a lot different then, to what it is now. She's more of a 10... 12 at most.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is so subjective. What one person might find attractive will be viewed as hideous by another. Some people like skinny some people like big. Who cares as long as you're healthy and happy in your body

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.