Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brentton)
    Hi I currently live in London and I am applying for 2014 entry medicine. I am debating whether or not to move to university because there are many pros and cons. The fact of moving away, leaving close friends, family, and my girlfriend. On the other hand if I choose to move, there is more of a variety of universities! Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm hopefully (if I get the grades!)going to UEA to study medicine this year and I was kind of happy at first but recently I've been thinking about how great it would be to live at home and go somewhere in London. I didn't get into my London ones though so... But if I had a choice I think I would live at home.. not being poor all the time and great food are deffo more important to me, and I'm just the kind of person that needs support around her a lot.But I think it just depends on how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping it as easy as that and magic I know :/ the only place in London that allow BTEC for foundation year is kings college London !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wondered whether to move out or not last year, i started with the assumption that i was moving out because it seemed the thing everyone did, all my friends were moving out but when i thought about it i realised i didn't want to move out really. Im quite comfortable where I'am, and the uni i really wanted to go to is only 35/40 mins away.

So i didn't move out and have to say Im so glad i didn't (more in the sense that i didn't move out just because everyone else at school was moving) , personally it's better for me, obviously some people would prefer to move out.

It really depends on what you want, and which uni you want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BooAlphie)
    I'm hopefully (if I get the grades!)going to UEA to study medicine this year and I was kind of happy at first but recently I've been thinking about how great it would be to live at home and go somewhere in London. I didn't get into my London ones though so... But if I had a choice I think I would live at home.. not being poor all the time and great food are deffo more important to me, and I'm just the kind of person that needs support around her a lot.But I think it just depends on how you feel.
    Are you currently studying a levels?! Or a BTEC?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    I wondered whether to move out or not last year, i started with the assumption that i was moving out because it seemed the thing everyone did, all my friends were moving out but when i thought about it i realised i didn't want to move out really. Im quite comfortable where I'am, and the uni i really wanted to go to is only 35/40 mins away.

So i didn't move out and have to say Im so glad i didn't (more in the sense that i didn't move out just because everyone else at school was moving) , personally it's better for me, obviously some people would prefer to move out.

It really depends on what you want, and which uni you want to go to.
    I would love to study at kings but I highly doubt that they will except me so ill probably have to move? Or travel for hours every day! I wish I could of done a levels so bad :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would go uni is not just a place to get a degree ( I mean it is the majour focus but it's not all there is) uni is also a place to learn how to live your life to make mistakes without too many consiquences why people would want to stay at home is beoynd me.

more spcefic to you medcine is a tough exausting course you would be much more comftorable with a place 5 mins walk away instead of a 40 min drive you can always go home at weekends (like I did)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I would go uni is not just a place to get a degree ( I mean it is the majour focus but it's not all there is) uni is also a place to learn how to live your life to make mistakes without too many consiquences why people would want to stay at home is beoynd me.

more spcefic to you medcine is a tough exausting course you would be much more comftorable with a place 5 mins walk away instead of a 40 min drive you can always go home at weekends (like I did)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a bit concerned that if I moved away I would get distracted if I made friends and starting partying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would love to study at kings but I highly doubt that they will except me so ill probably have to move? Or travel for hours every day! I wish I could of done a levels so bad :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think traveling's going to be your main issue, especially for a course like medicine, i imagine long days at uni and a lot of work outside too, if you're traveling too far everyday then it may get too much, it may not tho, your traveling journeys there may be a nice way to have a little break, love a bit of ipod time on the train/bus haha. But you may find it easier to be closer to your uni, but you never know they might accept you Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    I can read my course books on the train and stuff though haha. And thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AimeeLouLou)
    I stayed at home for my first year of uni and I have not regretted it at all. I travel 3 hours a day all together and find the journey extremely relaxing after a hard day. It is also a good time to get some extra reading done.

Its all down to you personally though. I have a friend at uni who absolutely hates travelling every day and feels like she's missing uni life whereas I don't feel that way at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same. You still make friends and get involved with uni life. To be honest, uni halls is overrated. People talk on here like it's the be all and end all. It certainly is not.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely reccomend moving away- for a subject like medicine you don't wanna limit yourself to a certain area, especially London which at a guess will be bloody competitive... plus it's so much fun living in halls etc, becoming more independent

I'd personally hate to live in London... :noway:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit concerned that if I moved away I would get distracted if I made friends and starting partying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The majority of students move away, including medics. The vast majority of medics graduate - they don't get distracted by making friends.

One consideration about living at home I'd put to you is this: medicine is a long course 5/6 years. Do you want to be living with your parents when you're 23/24?

ReputationRep:
    I can apprecate that but you'll find that when you need to work you will going out is important as well though if you have no r&r you will suffer burnout and risk failing most people get a good blance though if none of your mates are going out it's a good indication you need to work
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean! And I wouldn't mind living with my mum and brother til that age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you currently studying a levels?! Or a BTEC?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A levels, why?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.