Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it could be a very realistic outcome. Unfortunate but rules are rules. I don't know much about the rules personally so hard to give a view but it seems like he has very much broken the rules from what I have read/seen. No doubt he is biggest figure in the game for drawing in crowds (me included), wonder if this will (wrongly) play an influence on the decision.

Still amazed at the ridiculous decision to penalise Guan, but good for him to make the cut nonetheless. No doubt if Tiger does not get DQ'd there will be complaints about the outcomes of these two events.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, is it just me, or is Colin Montgomerie absolutely unbearable? Listening to him claim that the turnaround in Sergio's career came when he picked him for vice-captaincy at 'his' Ryder Cup (nothing, of course, to do with the hard work put in by Sergio himself over the years), getting all excited when he remembers his 'we should talk about the post-shot routine' speech for the fifth time, him being creepily sycophantic about sitting next to the legend that is Jack Nicklaus, watching him sweating in the studio, the list is endless. I'll be so glad when I can finally settle down and watch Ken on the Course this evening.

Fingers crossed! This tournament would undoubtedly be twice as interesting without Tiger. Hopefully they'll kick him out and it'll be all to play for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I was wondering, is it just me, or is Colin Montgomerie absolutely unbearable? Listening to him claim that the turnaround in Sergio's career came when he picked him for vice-captaincy at 'his' Ryder Cup (nothing, of course, to do with the hard work put in by Sergio himself over the years), getting all excited when he remembers his 'we should talk about the post-shot routine' speech for the fifth time, him being creepily sycophantic about sitting next to the legend that is Jack Nicklaus, watching him sweating in the studio, the list is endless. I'll be so glad when I can finally settle down and watch Ken on the Course this evening.
    Yeah monty is awful, and when he's paired with Butch it goes to a new level. It's like two men attempting to take the credit when players are doing well. The BBC has there coverage nailed, not to mention i would pay serious money for Peter Alliss to narrate my life.

As for Tiger, its an odd one. Any other tournament, with any other player and they'd be out. However, i'll be surprised if they do disqualify him and im sure the USGA will figure out some loop hole to get him off the hook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary Barlow)
    Yeah monty is awful, and when he's paired with Butch it goes to a new level. It's like two men attempting to take the credit when players are doing well. The BBC has there coverage nailed, not to mention i would pay serious money for Peter Alliss to narrate my life.
    Yeah, agreed. I just can't wait for Monty's Ryder Cup to recede into the past and we can have Ollie in the commentary box or something instead (now there's an inspirational golfer). Apparently Colin said in an interview the other day that Westwood really had to win a major this year because, being 40 like Colin was when he stopped competing so much, he had run out of time. Then I heard that Lee was told about this in another interview and simply replied 'yeah well Colin and I have a lot of differences – for example, 8 stone' :laugh:

As for Tiger, its an odd one. Any other tournament, with any other player and they'd be out. However, i'll be surprised if they do disqualify him and im sure the USGA will figure out some loop hole to get him off the hook.
    Yeah they'll definitely try and keep him in if they can. Everyone seems to think he's the best thing to ever happen to golf.

ReputationRep:
    So a 2 stroke penalty for Tiger takes him to -1. Hmmm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Sport)
    World number one Tiger Woods handed two-shot penalty for an incorrect drop shot during second round on Friday
    Drat.

ReputationRep:
    No way was Tiger going to be disqualified. As Peter Alliss just said on BBC, the big names can get away with more because they bring in the viewers. The whole incident, and hims till being there, adds a little more spice to the tournament and I'm for that.

ReputationRep:
    It helps if you're Tiger Woods and you intentionally **** up, sign your scorecard and get a two-stroke penalty. Anyone else if you do that, DQ as Padraig Harrington got for another tournament for wrongly signing his score-card.

I hope he doesn't win now, if he does then the runner up is going to be turning in his stomach knowing that the winner shouldn't have even been there.

I'm amazed he admitted it post-match - the way he did suggests to me that he feared had he not admitted it then some wide-eyed chap might have outed him (not for the first time in his life) and he would have been humiliated. It's like he was waiting for the authorities to catch up with him rather than they catch him out.

Regarding the coverage - BBC's is more classy. Hazel Irvine is a soothing host and Alliss is a legend accompanied by Ken Brown etc.

Monty has got an ego it seems but that comment by Westwood about the difference being 8 stones was hilarious lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    It helps if you're Tiger Woods and you intentionally **** up, sign your scorecard and get a two-stroke penalty. Anyone else if you do that, DQ as Padraig Harrington got for another tournament for wrongly signing his score-card.

I hope he doesn't win now, if he does then the runner up is going to be turning in his stomach knowing that the winner shouldn't have even been there.

I'm amazed he admitted it post-match - the way he did suggests to me that he feared had he not admitted it then some wide-eyed chap might have outed him (not for the first time in his life) and he would have been humiliated. It's like he was waiting for the authorities to catch up with him rather than they catch him out.

Regarding the coverage - BBC's is more classy. Hazel Irvine is a soothing host and Alliss is a legend accompanied by Ken Brown etc.

Monty has got an ego it seems but that comment by Westwood about the difference being 8 stones was hilarious lol!
    The USGA passed a ruling in 2012 saying that if a player was guilty of an infringement but that was only determined later on then in some circumstances they could issue retrospective punishment rather than a DQ. Technically it was by the book, so I don't really have a problem with it, as long as he was unsure of the ruling. But how could he have been? He's Tiger Woods, he must know the rules, and so must his caddy.

His coach has been on twitter suggesting that he might quit anyway. While Tiger isn't exactly Mr Conscientious, I don't think he'd want a win to be tarnished with illegitimacy. It'll depend on the mood.

ReputationRep:
    It makes no difference with regards to a DQ whether he admitted it afterwards. The decision was initially given to allow play to continue after a review during the round. So, Augusta say under rule 33 they can't retrospectively DQ him after the round has finished because they had already assessed the situation during the round.

I think the only people being humiliated are the officials. Tiger is playing them for fools and they are acting like fools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    His coach has been on twitter suggesting that he might quit anyway. While Tiger isn't exactly Mr Conscientious, I don't think he'd want a win to be tarnished with illegitimacy. It'll depend on the mood.
    Tiger's got a PR team around him who wouldn't want him to suffer more bad PR so if he did DQ himself then it would be seen as a good move from a PR point of view but I can't see that happening. He's been punished so he'll see that as other people's decisions rather than his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    If he quits I will lose so much respect for him.

ReputationRep:
    Tiger's got a PR team around him who wouldn't want him to suffer more bad PR so if he did DQ himself then it would be seen as a good move from a PR point of view but I can't see that happening. He's been punished so he'll see that as other people's decisions rather than his.
    Since when has Tiger cared about the public, or even his fans? All he wants is to beat Jack's record.

(Original post by TheMagicRat)
    If he quits I will lose so much respect for him.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Why?
    You take your breaks when they come your way and move on. It's not up to Tiger to officiate. He did what he did, broke the rules and was punished. That's the end of it. No need for him to take matters into his own hands just look like some kind of hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Since when has Tiger cared about the public, or even his fans? All he wants is to beat Jack's record.
    He won't be bothered but the people around him who carefully restructured his public image after the scandal wouldn't want any negative publicity.

But, he has got a two stroke penalty which means some gain he achieved has been diminished but if he still wins, which would take a massive score today, will be diluted by the events of yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    You take your breaks when they come your way and move on. It's not up to Tiger to officiate. He did what he did, broke the rules and was punished. That's the end of it. No need for him to take matters into his own hands just look like some kind of hero.
    It sounds to me like the officiators have given him the benefit of the doubt by assuming that he didn't know what the rules were. If he did know them (which, to be honest, I'm sure is the case), then to step down would be to own up to misleading the officials and take the correct punishment, which is a DQ. It wouldn't be to 'look like some kind of hero'.

EDIT: Just found this quotation from Tiger on the internet: "Achievements on the golf course are not what matters, decency and honesty are what matter." How ironic.

He won't be bothered but the people around him who carefully restructured his public image after the scandal wouldn't want any negative publicity.

But, he has got a two stroke penalty which means some gain he achieved has been diminished but if he still wins, which would take a massive score today, will be diluted by the events of yesterday.
    I'd be surprised if he cared about them either to be honest. He is most definitely still in the competition – four strokes behind second place with two days to go – and I would still back him to win to be honest (he's the best golfer out there at the moment).

(Original post by Mess.)
    Rickie Fowler annoys me already. He is incredibly punchable.
    I know what you mean; I think its the combination of faux-surfer hair and Playmobil clothes that gets me.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe a man of Tiger's experience, doesn't know the rules. You'd expect it and understand if it was, I don't know, a 14-year-old but Woods, come on. He knew what he was doing as he admitted himself and should have been punished more severely. But can you imagine if he won? The crowd there would lap it up but the general reaction wouldn't be so overly excited.

ReputationRep:
    Meh i'll give him the benefit of the doubt with the ruling. There really should have been an official on hand to call it, i mean its common for people to go in the water surely it would make sense to have someone officiating drops.

I'm not sure if he'll win now, his record coming back form these sorts of things is poor. Theres also plenty of capable players above him who i wouldn't expect to drop shots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    It sounds to me like the officiators have given him the benefit of the doubt by assuming that he didn't know what the rules were. If he did know them (which, to be honest, I'm sure is the case), then to step down would be to own up to misleading the officials and take the correct punishment, which is a DQ. It wouldn't be to 'look like some kind of hero'.

EDIT: Just found this quotation from Tiger on the internet: "Achievements on the golf course are not what matters, decency and honesty are what matter." How ironic.
    He's been punished for wrongdoing. Quitting would only be to look good and fair in the eyes of the people. The correct punishment at the time was a DQ but after the round the correct decision has been taken. From their statement the officials seem to have been aware of it at the time and didn't act on it. They're the ones at fault here. People are always going to break the rules in sport and it is up to the officials to punish correctly. If you get away with it, so be it. Once again, I'll say that it is not up to Tiger to officiate.

Everyone is loving this though. A bit of controversy is great, especially if Tiger is involved. People will be tuning in tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little confused, I thought providing you kept the ball in line with where the original shot was taken and where the ball entered the water you could go as far back as you wanted? :confused:

EDIT: Ah I forgot it went in at a weird angle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.