Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2013 AQA History 3G British State and the People 1865-1915 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grauniad)
    Yeah, I've had a little confidence knock this year. Distinctly average history coursework and politics exam in january (which is a bummer, as I'm doing a History and Politics degree...) and I've got into this mindset that I can't write sustained essays.

A/A* is a little complicated. To get an A, you need 80% UMS across the whole A Level, so AS plus A2. To get an A*, you need 80% average across the whole A Level, but with a 90% average in A2. So essentially, any mark above 80% in your AS doesn't contribute towards getting an A*, but it does make getting an A easier overall. Again, gotta love AQA and their simple systems.

The really stupid thing about it is this: Candidate A could get (in an A-Level comprising 4 100 UMS exams, for the sake of simplicity) in AS, 100 out of 100 UMS twice, then get 90 and 89 at A2. That's 379 out of 400 but an A. Candidate B could get, at AS, 70 out of 100 twice, then 90 out of 100 twice at A2. 320 UMS, but an A*. Bizarre and unlikely, but theoretically possible.

I do not like AQA.
    That is very bizarre :/ I feel so sick, my brain is in frenzy mode and i can feel all the wires in the history storage of my brain just twisting and turning and burning :/

Also Boer War causes could not possibly come up, consequence maybe but causes hardly has any depth in it

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said, Old to New Liberals, Comparison of Disraeli and Gladstone Foreign Policies and Women are likely to come up, any else's thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History2k13)
    My teacher said, Old to New Liberals, Comparison of Disraeli and Gladstone Foreign Policies and Women are likely to come up, any else's thoughts on this?
    women compared to what ? General domestic policies ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roshniroxy)
    women compared to what ? General domestic policies ?
    As in women getting the vote? So the suffragettes and their campaign for getting the vote?

ReputationRep:
    As in women getting the vote? So the suffragettes and their campaign for getting the vote?
    that's to narrow perhaps their could be a comparison of problems home vs problems abroad

ReputationRep:
    that's to narrow perhaps their could be a comparison of problems home vs problems abroad
    Also a potential question on Early Ireland, 1865-1885?

ReputationRep:
    Also a potential question on Early Ireland, 1865-1885?
    Gladstone dealt with it but Disraeli ignored it, perhaps then there could, i personally am not prepared for ireland

ReputationRep:
    Gladstone dealt with it but Disraeli ignored it, perhaps then there could, i personally am not prepared for ireland
    Yeah that's what I've made notes for I've only looked at early Ireland, I haven't looked at Labour or Trade Unions in the slightest :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that it wasn't too bad. I didn't do the first question since I don't think there's really enough about Disraeli and the Eastern Crisis to make a good argument.
    The second question was great as it was about why there was conservative domination, so there was plenty of opposing arguments to talk about there.
    Question three was phrased oddly, but it gave plenty of scope to talk about the policies of the liberals and if and how they changed over time.

There was no Ireland question this year, but both the second and third question invited you to include it.
    I think that it went pretty well. I did the third question first since it was the breadth question. Then I did the sencond question which I also answered pretty well, but I could have spent more time on it to get more detail. I need an A but I only need a high B in this exam to get an A overall - but I'd prefer to get an A in it just to make sure.

Hope everyone else did well. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    could've gone better, i don't even remember what i wrote, wish i picked question 3 instead of question 2.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thought it was all right: could have gone a lot worse. Not sure I've done enough for an A*, but reasonably confident about an A.

Did question 1, as I'd revised it quite a lot and found something really useful about it by A.J.P Taylor that essentially said it was an empty success, in that by solving it so easily Disraeli got an inflated view of Britain's won prestige and abilities. Talked about balance of power, imperialism, prestige and Christians.

Had a hard time choosing between question 2 and 3, but did 2 in the end. I'm not sure I did the right thing, but I kind of refuted the question by arguing that Conservative 'dominance' ended in 1902 with Salisbury's departure. Wrote about Salisbury and Balfour separately as leaders (particularly foreign policy and Salisbury wooing the working class), then about the Arlington Street Compact and the lack of a Labour party, then about Liberal incompetence.

So overall, could have gone better (never happy with my own essays) but it could have gone worse. I wasn't short of anything to say, which is always nice.

ReputationRep:
    I thought question 3 was quite odd. im worried i completely misinterpreted it. I assumed they wouldnt be asking about the liberal party across the whole period so i compared the liberal party in 1865 and 1915. ie. changes: new liberalism/old liberalism; composition of lib party more middle-class. then continuity: laissez-faire still actually the principle held by most of the party-mainly gladstonian liberlas; believed in democracy (talked bout 2nd reform act then parliament act 1911), and free-trade (more important in 1906 election than social reform).

i also ran out of time so didnt talk about how they had changed their views from union to home rule

Do you think the examiners will allow ppl to interpret the question differently? im so worried i wrote things completely wrong i didn't talk about liberals policies across the whole period, just their attitudes in 1865 and in 1914. :'( :'( :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCstudent)
    I thought question 3 was quite odd. im worried i completely misinterpreted it. I assumed they wouldnt be asking about the liberal party across the whole period so i compared the liberal party in 1865 and 1915. ie. changes: new liberalism/old liberalism; composition of lib party more middle-class. then continuity: laissez-faire still actually the principle held by most of the party-mainly gladstonian liberlas; believed in democracy (talked bout 2nd reform act then parliament act 1911), and free-trade (more important in 1906 election than social reform).

i also ran out of time so didnt talk about how they had changed their views from union to home rule

Do you think the examiners will allow ppl to interpret the question differently? im so worried i wrote things completely wrong i didn't talk about liberals policies across the whole period, just their attitudes in 1865 and in 1914. :'( :'( :'(
    In the synoptic question you're supposed to talk about a range of stuff from across the time period, including within a few years of the start and end. So comparing 1865 and 1915 is fine, but did you not mention some policies throughout, when they changed etc.?

I assessed how the values of the party changed (so the laissez-faire to new liberalism "we must help them to laissez-faire, commitment to helping ireland etc. ), personnel changes and changes in the electorate meant that they weren't the natural party of the working class anymore etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ganktard)
    In the synoptic question you're supposed to talk about a range of stuff from across the time period, including within a few years of the start and end. So comparing 1865 and 1915 is fine, but did you not mention some policies throughout, when they changed etc.?

I assessed how the values of the party changed (so the laissez-faire to new liberalism "we must help them to laissez-faire, commitment to helping ireland etc. ), personnel changes and changes in the electorate meant that they weren't the natural party of the working class anymore etc.
    no thats the thing i didnt talk about the policies throughout eventhough i know theres always one question where you have to talk throughout the period. I also stupidly didnt talk about their change in attitudes towards ireland or foreign policy which were major things. im so annoyed at myself why wasnt i thinking properly in the exam! I also only talked about their attitudes/values domestically so for the new/old lib thing i talked about welfare reforms and how far they were true social reformers or still old gladstonian liberals. Im literally in a panic i completely messed this essay up i really needed an A

ReputationRep:
    You can only do your best! I'm sure things'll be fine in August

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.