Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to a gig alone Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate3)
    I've been to a gig before on my own, it was an Arcade Fire concert in Manchester and none of my friends wanted to go with me, I even asked my Dad if he would come but he said no too! it was fine though, when you're standing you can't really talk to your friends anyway and you get separated
    Haha, I was at that gig on my own too! I've been to a number of gigs on my own though.

The awkwardness comes during the intervals, when people are waiting for bands to come one. It doesn't help that I'm not great at just approaching people or a group of people and talking to them; I'm alright when they start a conversation with me though. I'm just inherently shy and socially awkward like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basil Brush)
    Has anyone ever been to a rock concert on their own? Modest Mouse is coming to Birmingham this summer and they're in my top 3 favourite bands of all time. The only problem is that nobody I know likes them I'm a girl in first year in uni and the latest I've ever been out on my own is about nine, so I'm a bit scared
    Shame, I'd have loved to see them, but I live right up in Leeds! Only saw them once at Leeds Fest, and it was one of my favourite performances of the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellopandaluv)
    Do you have a friend who isn't neccessarily a fan of Modest Mouse but would accompany you just as a favour as a friend? Or are your friends adamant that they're not interested? Sometimes I haven't had an interest in a band but have gone along with an open mind to have fun with my friends and have had a really good time!
    I'm sure one of them would come with me if I asked them but I'd feel bad getting them to spend money to see a band they don't particularly like it's okay though, I've already bought my ticket and decided I'll do it on my own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    Shame, I'd have loved to see them, but I live right up in Leeds!
    They're going to Manchester too, so if you reeeally wanted to go...:cool:

(Original post by sonic_dream)
    Only saw them once at Leeds Fest, and it was one of my favourite performances of the weekend.
    That's reassuring. I've been looking at some concert reviews for Modest Mouse but they're not that great Do you remember the set list?

ReputationRep:
    They're going to Manchester too, so if you reeeally wanted to go...:cool:
    I was thinking of seeing them at The Cockpit in Leeds anyway, but I shall look into this. Well, I'll see if I'll have enough money for it (I know it's in July, but it's always good to look ahead haha).

That's reassuring. I've been looking at some concert reviews for Modest Mouse but they're not that great Do you remember the set list?
    I personally liked it. They were kinda mid-afternoon though, so a lot of people were there just to chill out and such I guess, but I enjoyed it.

As for the setlist, I can't remember much. I remember hearing Paper Thin Walls, 3rd Planet and Dashboard, and they ended with Black Cadillacs. I was sure of the last one because it was still ringing in my ears as I was walking over to the NME tent to find my friends. Something I'd have thought they'd play was Float On, but they didn't. It was a short set - less than ten songs - anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    I go to 2 or 3 gigs a month, probably about 95% of them alone. I felt weird the first time I did it, but now I prefer going to gigs alone. If I took a friend along who hadn't heard of the band I'd just worry about whether they were enjoying it.

In the age of smart phones and mp3 players its sooooo easy to entertain yourself for the intervals without awkwardness. If you want to chat, people up front tend to be far chattier though.

If you want to know set lists check www.setlist.fm

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to a gig alone. Hahahahaha boom boom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I go to 2 or 3 gigs a month, probably about 95% of them alone. I felt weird the first time I did it, but now I prefer going to gigs alone. If I took a friend along who hadn't heard of the band I'd just worry about whether they were enjoying it.

In the age of smart phones and mp3 players its sooooo easy to entertain yourself for the intervals without awkwardness. If you want to chat, people up front tend to be far chattier though.

If you want to know set lists check www.setlist.fm
    Thanks for the link

ReputationRep:
    I was like this when Yellowcard came. But you have to be brave and do it!! Go! I'm so glad that I went and didn't miss them just because I was a bit nervous about going alone. You'll be glad you did.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.