Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Can we really get by on four hours sleep?" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I get around 6 hours sleep when I'm at college When I'm not at college though I'd say about 10 hours at least if I have nowhere to go
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Ohh fair enough, have you ever tried pro plus (caffeine pills)? My teacher recommended them haha and I found that they did help. Though she said they made her go absolutely hyper, whilst I just found it helped me stay more alert.
    I've heard of but don't use them. I find an energy drink is easily strong enough for me. I feel like supermario in rainbow mode because of the speed I can write etc.

ReputationRep:
    Usually get 4-6 hours each day a week, one of those day's i'll get around 12 hours. If I sleep longer than 8 hours i seem to wake up feeling incredibly groggy and with such a bad head. (not hangovers, don't drink)

ReputationRep:
    I do very often. I usually find if you don't have very much sleep it doesnt actually hit you until a couple of days later. For example, I remember once I had 1 hours sleep after being up all night writing an essay. However, the next day I was energised and fine. The day after, on the other hand, I was incredibly lethargic. The annoying thing is with me is that I can sleep a lot...but at the oddest of times. I'm at my most awake during the early hours of the morning. If I could sleep between 3am/4am and 11am/12pm everyday I reckon I'd be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I try to get 8 hours sleep...I read a study that said less than 6 hours can actually change your genes.

ReputationRep:
    I can get by or 4 or 5 hours a night but during the holidays with no alarm i can easily get 12 hours sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I need eight hours sleep. No top job for me. :p: I think there's also a bit of unnecessary masochism about it too though, people lie about how much they sleep (just as they lie about how much sex they get) in order to seem tougher. There's nothing tough about foregoing sleep if it does you good. Sleep has all kids of beneficial rejuvenating effects, y'need those toothsome theta waves. I certainly feel much more able to cope with the world when I sleep well (and vice versa).

I used to sleep much less, however, and I do think it ****ed with my health, which is why I try, not always successfully, to sleep well now.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm out at a club the night before I need to be up early for work or something then 4 hours is sufficient.

I can't do that every night though.

I think six hours is perfect for me, but if I get eight, then I feel lethargic through oversleeping.

ReputationRep:
    Me i easily sleep 14 houres a day, but the story goes that Madonna in her top years touring around the world could manage with 5 houres sleep a day, me? such sleeping ritme would kille me....

ReputationRep:
    I range from 0 - 5 hours usually, then during the holidays about 8+. It makes you tired quite a lot, but if you keep moving, you won't fall asleep

ReputationRep:
    Instead of taking caffeine, one of the more dangerous drugs out there which is very easy to overdose on, everyone needs to get into a routine and introspect on the amount of sleep they need and work productively in between

ReputationRep:
    Sleep Cycle
    Interesting read, should answer your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    The more sleep I have the more tired I get throughout the following day... :dontknow:

You look pretty hot. ;P

back to the thread...I think it's possible but only for certain period of time. Because you can't exclude factors like headaches...I'd imagine you'd need a good sleep to get over it.

ReputationRep:
    2-5 hours due to reading so damn much.
    I honestly really feel like f*** before I could handle it but now it is really hitting me, I can't go sleep early (like at 12 or 2 I don't feel tired at all) and then when I get up dead early I feel like crap and always feel some sort of sickish headache- maybe some can relate? Maybe that is due to reading so much but I don't know. I can get by but feel peed of a little at everyone who wakes me up lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Not sure. I seem to be influenced by natural light outside. When the days are long I can survive happily on 5 hours whereas in the winter when it is dark all the time I will pretty much go into hibernation and feel rubbish even after about 9 hours sleep...
    There is a reason for that, a hormone called melatonin is released when natural light is detected to start the process of waking you up, sort of a body clock to keep your patterns regular.

ReputationRep:
    I can fall asleep so easily, but when I sleep longer I feel like crap when I wake up, I think if I get into a pattern of falling asleep and waking up naturally I probably need about 6 hours.

ReputationRep:
    You probably can, I have a friend who sleeps about 6 hours a night and he's been doing that for months! He makes me feel like a slob for sleeping 8-9 hours a night! Although you can probably survive on that much sleep surely it must be detrimental to the aging of your skin right? Y'know, beauty sleep and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I find if I have less than 7 hours sleep I find getting up even more impossible than usual, but once I've showed and am awake, I feel more energised and alert than when I have 8 or more hours sleep.

ReputationRep:
    8 hours is not enough for me, ideally I need 9 hours or more.
    During term time I usually get 7/8 hours of sleep a day, but during holidays I sleep much more to catch up because I'm just exhausted.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely get any. I am tossing all night.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.