Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls who cross the road to avoid parked cars! Watch

(Original post by Norton1)
    Perhaps run after these women crossing the road shouting that? They don't know otherwise, so no wonder they would cross the road in the same way as if you were a convicted rapist.
    Bottom line is I think it's major paranoia on their part. That is what is boils down to.

-The area has low crime in general, so crimes of sexual nature must be even lower. It really is safe.

-Area is full of old farts (english) apart from students.

I just don't think I'd go through with that hassle. Also crossing the road shows that they are scared and achieves little as the distance is not much different. I don't think that's the best way to deal with a potential crisis anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Bottom line is I think it's major paranoia on their part. That is what is boils down to.

-The area has low crime in general, so crimes of sexual nature must be even lower. It really is safe.

-Area is full of old farts (english) apart from students.

I just don't think I'd go through with that hassle. Also crossing the road shows that they are scared and achieves little as the distance is not much different. I don't think that's the best way to deal with a potential crisis anyway.
    It might not be a lot of difference in the distance but it's still a difference. If someone just opened the door and pulled you in when you were walking next to the car you'd have no chance to react. If you're on the opposite side of the road, and someone gets out of the car and tries to approach/attack you, you at least have a chance to run, or get ready to fight back if you need to. The distance gives females the opportunity to react, and just generally makes us feel a little bit safer in the dark.

(Original post by kunoichi)
    They can take safety however they wish, they choose to have sex with the guys they take home (if indeed they do, you CANNOT tell that by looking at them and if you want them to stop judging you without knowing you maybe you should consider doing the same!) they do not choose to be dragged into a car and raped and which cars have the bad people in them.

You wouldnt cross the road? Thats fine, you are a guy, you havent been brought up to think of the possibility someone may try to rape you, may try to drag you into it. Girls are taught differently, taught to try to avoid it in the first place rather than be the big man who refuses to show fear and by doing so is more likely to get into a nasty situation.

Let others who think differently to you just get on with what makes them happy, it isnt really doing you any harm is it?

A girl shouldnt have to feel unsafe because youre getting unnecessarily upset over someone crossing the road.
    I still wouldn't cross the road if I was a girl in this situation. Safe road, safe area. My gf has been in a couple of annoying situations. One where a cabbie followed her in his car while she walked. Bottom line is, crossing the road is pointless. I think it's more unconfidence than rape fear.

ReputationRep:
    I always do it, it's nothing personal.

I live in London and if I'm walking alone past a parked car with a man in it almost 100% of the time they will say something seedy. It's not just about not wanting to be shouted at, it's about not wanting to be dragged into the car and raped.

Twice when I've been walking home (not particularly late) I've had men aggressively tell me to get in the car. Once it was a group of men who started to get out when I refused to get in, so I sprinted in tears until I found someone else in the street who kindly walked me home.

It's not just a precaution, it happens a lot.
    Plus the girl probably can't even see what race you are.

edit: I also agree that it's none of the man's business. A girl shouldn't have to risk her safety due to not wanting to offend someone or seem racist.

Also for reference I live in probably the wealthiest area of London.

ReputationRep:
    I still wouldn't cross the road if I was a girl in this situation. Safe road, safe area. My gf has been in a couple of annoying situations. One where a cabbie followed her in his car while she walked. Bottom line is, crossing the road is pointless. I think it's more unconfidence than rape fear.
    You arent a girl so you wouldnt think like we do tbh.

Crossing the road isnt pointless at all, it puts you away from the person, might give you a few extra, possibly vital seconds if something does happen and lessens the chance of someone in the car noticing you in the first place.

Unconfidence or rape fear, whatever, stop having a go at these girls for doing something that they are perfectly entitled to do.

ReputationRep:
    Have some understanding of these girls. Not all of them lift heavy like you, you're pretty much a man
    Maybe that's why I wouldn't cross the road.

(Original post by therisenmitten)
    I always do it, it's nothing personal.

I live in London and if I'm walking alone past a parked car with a man in it almost 100% of the time they will say something seedy. It's not just about not wanting to be shouted at, it's about not wanting to be dragged into the car and raped.

Twice when I've been walking home (not particularly late) I've had men aggressively tell me to get in the car. Once it was a group of men who started to get out when I refused to get in, so I sprinted in tears until I found someone else in the street who kindly walked me home.

It's not just a precaution, it happens a lot.
    Plus the girl probably can't even see what race you are.
    Hey. That sounds awful what you went through and you a lucky escape! I guess things like this might happen more in big cities like London. I definitely try not to take it personally but still it does bother me a little. I suppose seeing the other perspective does help.

ReputationRep:
    Bro, I am a guy and I do that too. Standard safety procedure.Why get in trouble?

And I actually live in a more safe country than the UK

ReputationRep:
    Well I am pretty sure I would know if a girl had been dragged into a car in this area. It would make the news

There is nothing wrong with necessary precaution. But I am putting myself in their shoes. Would I cross the road in this situation? No way! It shows unwarranted fear. Ironic thing is these are probably the same girls getting pissed at night with friends and sleeping around. I know quite a few like that.

Not saying anything wrong with sleeping around. Just saying, very ironic how they take safety here yet will take a random guy back after a night out
    Personal safety when walking home has been drummed into women for years, even though stranger attacks actually aren't very common, and women get told they are irresponsible and 'putting themselves in danger' even though they are just doing an every day thing such as walking home from work etc. So no wonder some women feel they have to monitor and adapt their own behaviour when society hammers they message into them that they are responsible if a man decides to attack them or drag them into their car etc (even though they are not in the slightest, they are just getting on with their every day business and realistically there's no way to prevent yourself from being attacked on the street, other than not leaving your house ever).
    Why does this have any connection to their sex life - why have you made the assumption it's the same girls who have one night stands anyway? Totally irrelevant.

(Original post by rlw31)
    Maybe that's why I wouldn't cross the road.
    That's what am saying. You would use them to squat with

ReputationRep:
    Hey. That sounds awful what you went through and you a lucky escape! I guess things like this might happen more in big cities like London. I definitely try not to take it personally but still it does bother me a little. I suppose seeing the other perspective does help.
    Yeah, it happens a lot more than you'd think, people just don't report it.

Looking back I should have probably reported it but just assumed I was being silly at the time. It starts with seedy comments then something like "you should come to this party with us babes", then when you ignore them they start to get angry.

(Original post by greenforce)
    Bro, I am a guy and I do that too. Standard safety procedure.Why get in trouble?

And I actually live in a more safe country than the UK
    Haha you serious? Wtf. I am aware as much as the next man but I can only think of a few situations where I have felt genuinely threatened. Tend to rely on my instinct and have avoided a few potential troubled situations with my friends, when I first picked up something wasn't right.

I have done martial arts for a long time but understand the need to avoid trouble. One, it's easier to avoid as you say. Two, you don't know what/who you are dealing with. Three, don't want a criminal record due to my career. Sadly three is the one that scares me the most.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am pretty sure I would know if a girl had been dragged into a car in this area. It would make the news

There is nothing wrong with necessary precaution. But I am putting myself in their shoes. Would I cross the road in this situation? No way! It shows unwarranted fear. Ironic thing is these are probably the same girls getting pissed at night with friends and sleeping around. I know quite a few like that.

Not saying anything wrong with sleeping around. Just saying, very ironic how they take safety here yet will take a random guy back after a night out
    By the way even though I know you didn't mean to say anything offensive, I don't think it is right to comment on the sex lives of girls who may or may not get attacked.
    Even if it's not the safest thing to do, having consensual sex with someone you just met is a lot different to getting dragged into a car and violently raped.

ReputationRep:
    By the way even though I know you didn't mean to say anything offensive, I don't think it is right to comment on the sex lives of girls who may or may not get attacked.
    Even if it's not the safest thing to do, having consensual sex with someone you just met is a lot different to getting dragged into a car and violently raped.
    I think violently raped is an understatement.

Yes it wasn't meant to be offensive but the point does still stand.

How safe is it to let a guy into your place/or go to theirs? Someone you have know for only a few hours? I don't think it's very safe and it's not something I would do as a girl even if it's consensual. You don't know that person...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenforce)
    I think violently raped is an understatement.
    What could be worse apart from murder?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chappers-94)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Torture.

ReputationRep:
    I've never done this before, but it makes sense to do it. I remember walking along the street in the evening and then 2 guys pulled up on the road beside me. They started talking to me and asked me to come over to them. As you can imagine, I increased my pace to get away as fast as possible. Since they pulled up beside me, I couldn't really have avoided it, but it's a similar sort of thing.

I don't see why the OP has such a big problem with girls avoiding parked cars. It's safer. I'll probably do it a little more after reading this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it wasn't meant to be offensive but the point does still stand.

How safe is it to let a guy into your place/or go to theirs? Someone you have know for only a few hours? I don't think it's very safe and it's not something I would do as a girl even if it's consensual. You don't know that person...
    It's not very safe, which is one of the reasons why I personally don't do it. But still, the girl has at least talked to the person and trusts them slightly and they have agreed to have sex. Also they usually have housemates around.

Anyway, just because they take one risk it doesn't mean they should take all risks. Just because you take the risk of crossing a road doesn't mean you should risk crossing the motorway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chappers-94)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Being imprisoned and injected with heroin whilst being locked in a room and forced to work as a prostitute?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.