Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepidybeep)
    That character is basically the reason the show is successful, you sound like you're trying to be all edgy and controversial tbh
    I don't care how it sounds. I dislike the 'laugh-a-minute' type comedy. I feel this type of comedy tries too hard and ends up failing. I did watch the first few series or so (not out of choice) and in fairness, it could have been something great in my opinion. If they built up jokes instead of fitting them in in every other sentence then, well who knows.

Also, I think the fact that it tries to be nerdy and geek like but then proceeds to talk about normal cool stuff like Star Wars, Doctor Who etc. They really do get some of their nerdy stuff wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Wow... that's very surprising. Would have though he was a lot younger.

Your thoughts on the episode broadcasted tonight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    I don't care how it sounds. I dislike the 'laugh-a-minute' type comedy. I feel this type of comedy tries too hard and ends up failing. I did watch the first few series or so (not out of choice) and in fairness, it could have been something great in my opinion. If they built up jokes instead of fitting them in in every other sentence then, well who knows.

Also, I think the fact that it tries to be nerdy and geek like but then proceeds to talk about normal cool stuff like Star Wars, Doctor Who etc. They really do get some of their nerdy stuff wrong.
    I guess that's fair enough, your opinion, I find most of it funny occasionally laugh out loud but i guess it sort of fails sometimes.

I wouldn't call Star wars and doctor who "cool", I mean they're not massively nerdy but its the kind of stuff nerds would watch so its hardly unrealistic

ReputationRep:
    I guess that's fair enough, your opinion, I find most of it funny occasionally laugh out loud but i guess it sort of fails sometimes.

I wouldn't call Star wars and doctor who "cool", I mean they're not massively nerdy but its the kind of stuff nerds would watch so its hardly unrealistic
    Star Wars is one of, if not, the most popular film franchises ever. Doctor Who is just cool :cool: There's no getting around that.

ReputationRep:
    Star Wars is one of, if not, the most popular film franchises ever. Doctor Who is just cool :cool: There's no getting around that.
    Stuff can be nerdy and still popular

haha i've never understood the doctor who love, I get that its been around for ages and its tradition and everything, but its not very good is it. Every episode seems to end with the Doctor miraculously working out how to solve everything, at least it did when i watched it, havent seen any with matt smith

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was well known, to be honest. There was even a Radio Times article about it a year or two back.

He doesn't look in his 20s though, I'd say early 30s. 28 (my age) at least. You can tell with the maturing hairline, and I'm sure the make up hides a few wrinkles.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Some people age very well, but also we are always behind on US shows and some of what we see was made 5 years ago, when he was 'only' 35. Still, I'm impressed, he does look and feel really young for his age.

Friends was one show that sticks in my mind for them all being much older than the parts they were playing, even right at the start of the series.
    The most recent episodes on E4 are from the latest series, which is still being shown in the US, so we're only a few weeks behind the US.

(Original post by Protagoras)
    They all play younger characters except Penny.
    Only a few years, if that. which isn't unusual in television. They are established academics/post-docs, not students, so are probably supposed to be in their early 30s, or perhaps just turned 30.

This is something the Radio Times article I referred to couldn't get, the writer calling them "students" and expressing amazement that Jim Parsons was approaching 40 at the time, yet is playing someone who (it seems the writer assumed) must be in his early/mid-20s.

ReputationRep:
    He ages far better than he acts.
    Most perfect statement ever made!

ReputationRep:
    Stuff can be nerdy and still popular

haha i've never understood the doctor who love, I get that its been around for ages and its tradition and everything, but its not very good is it. Every episode seems to end with the Doctor miraculously working out how to solve everything, at least it did when i watched it, havent seen any with matt smith
    I agree nerdy stuff can be popular. I never was a 'proper' nerd but a friend of mine seems to be slowly turning my into one so pick up on these things I guess.

*Prepares to go on a rant on what was wrong with the Avengers film* lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)

The most recent episodes on E4 are from the latest series, which is still being shown in the US, so we're only a few weeks behind the US.
    Oh right, yeah, I just went and looked at the Wiki page - hadn't realised we were seeing new stuff on E4.

He definitely doesn't look anything like 40 on the show, I would have guessed 27/28 if asked.

ReputationRep:
    I agree nerdy stuff can be popular. I never was a 'proper' nerd but a friend of mine seems to be slowly turning my into one so pick up on these things I guess.

*Prepares to go on a rant on what was wrong with the Avengers film* lol
    Everything! I thought it was terrible :lol:

ReputationRep:
    You mean that it needs to be more subtle? This is common in American sitcoms, to be honest. I don't the Big Bang as bad in this respect as many other programmes. Even classics such as Friends began to get too "in your face" in its final few series.

Difference between American and British comedy, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    You mean that it needs to be more subtle? This is common in American sitcoms, to be honest. I don't the Big Bang as bad in this respect as many other programmes. Even classics such as Friends began to get too "in your face" in its final few series.

Difference between American and British comedy, really.
    Don't even get me started on how Friends went downhill

Not gonna lie, on the whole, I do prefer British comedy.

ReputationRep:
    do most people like british or american comedy sitcoms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sport999)
    I like the best ones from both sides with a preference for the best of British, but waiting with an open mind to be pleasantly surprised by US productions. For example, I loved The Thick of It and no surprise, because the whole cast are just great and Armando Ianucci is behind it and he's just great too. Then there's The Office, the UK version was just infinitely better, more subtle and clever than the US version. However, the US can do subtle - look at Mad Men - I know that's not laugh-a-minute comedy, but it can be deeply funny and when they spend the whole show building you up to one hugely bitter, ironic, savage laugh at the end, you can't help but be in love with the entire crew who made it. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sport999)
    British definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    British definitely
    Difficult to say I have a preference. Excluding animated comedies then I probably watch more British than American comedy, but I am British and based in the UK....

Though I don't think the Americans will ever develop something like Blackadder, or do political satire like Spitting Image.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because you're not a teenage girl. Myself and the rest of them were too busy watching David Tennant's amazing fringe

Nah, I love Doctor Who because it speaks to the small part of everyone who wants to escape and go off and travel the stars, and because I'm a mathematician and I aspire to be him. It used to be subtly funny too, though they've toned that down recently for some reason. I agree that the storyline relies a bit too much on the doctor solving everything though - the laws of probability say he would have been killed in some freak accident by his 700th year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Probably because you're not a teenage girl. Myself and the rest of them were too busy watching David Tennant's amazing fringe

Nah, I love Doctor Who because it speaks to the small part of everyone who wants to escape and go off and travel the stars, and because I'm a mathematician and I aspire to be him. It used to be subtly funny too, though they've toned that down recently for some reason. I agree that the storyline relies a bit too much on the doctor solving everything though - the laws of probability say he would have been killed in some freak accident by his 700th year.
    Oh God, David, David, David, I am sooo looking forward to seeing him in the Special again. :love: He is literally one of the most adorable men on TV, apart from Benedict C, who should have been made the Doc and hopefully will be one day.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that saw that this thread was called "Sheldon Cooper" and mentally thought "is a ****ing boss"....?

ReputationRep:
    He must represent the next stage in humankind - A Homonovus, if you will.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.