Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Government and Politics - Edexcel - Unit 2 - Revision Notes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonaKo)
    Hey guys. I've gone through the politics exam papers from 2009-2013(jan) and all of them have Prime Minister+Cabinet on one section, and Judiciary on the other section (they're separate).

Since I'm running out of time and the exam is tomorrow, I'm thinking to just study these two topics and hope for the best. What do you think?
    I really hope so! I am sick to death of Parliament and the arguments for/against the 25/40 mark q are horrible to remember. Considering I have Law exam back to back with politics tomorrow, and in light of what pattern you've seen, I may very well just revise Judiciary and PM+C.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please share with me their examples for the Constitution section, I've realised I currently have zero as I'm doing a past paper, like which examples would you use for this question: ‘The UK constitution is no longer fit for purpose.’ Discuss. ??

ReputationRep:
    You missed Judiciary
    My school doesn't do it

ReputationRep:
    I have a mind blank.

I understand that tomorrow's exam is divided into two sections:

Section A:
    5 marker
    10 marker
    25 marker

Section B:
    40 marker

How do you answer each of these questions?

5 Marker: 2 Paragraphs in detail with great analysis with use of solely the information given in the source.

10 Marker: 3 Paragraphs in detail with reference from the source and extra examples from own knowledge. 1 example from source + 1 example from knowledge per paragraph.

25 Marker: Two way debate/discussion. Includes 5 paragraphs, 2 for, 2 against, conclusion.

40 Marker: 4 For/4 against. CONCLUDE!.
    -------

For each paragraph use this pneumonic=
    PEAC
    Point
    Evidence
    Analyse how the evidence given connects to the point and links the question
    Conclude by linking the point back to the question in 1/2 sentences.
    ----------

These are some pointers that were given to me. If anyone has anything to add or has anything to correct or give some advice, That would be VERY VERY much appreciated! Good Luck Guys!

ReputationRep:
    PEAC
    Point
    Evidence
    I personally use PEEL. Point, explain/evaluate, example, link back to question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henrln)
    I have a mind blank.

I understand that tomorrow's exam is divided into two sections:

Section A:
    5 marker
    10 marker
    25 marker

Section B:
    40 marker

How do you answer each of these questions?

5 Marker: 2 Paragraphs in detail with great analysis with use of solely the information given in the source.

10 Marker: 3 Paragraphs in detail with reference from the source and extra examples from own knowledge. 1 example from source + 1 example from knowledge per paragraph.

25 Marker: Two way debate/discussion. Includes 5 paragraphs, 2 for, 2 against, conclusion.

40 Marker: 4 For/4 against. CONCLUDE!.
    -------

PEAC
    Point
    Evidence
    ----------

These are some pointers that were given to me. If anyone has anything to add or has anything to correct or give some advice, That would be VERY VERY much appreciated! Good Luck Guys!
    3 things - I would use PEEL.

And also 25 markers can sometimes be one sided.

40 markers - should be ok with 3 v 3 as long as it is very detailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSGMatt)
    I really hope so! I am sick to death of Parliament and the arguments for/against the 25/40 mark q are horrible to remember. Considering I have Law exam back to back with politics tomorrow, and in light of what pattern you've seen, I may very well just revise Judiciary and PM+C.
    mee tooo!!! i have the law exam back to back, not looking forward too it! & same i am only revising 2 for politics and i have only revised delegated legislation for law, wbu?. It's a bit risk but i predicted it to come up and i was spot on with my unit 1 predictions. I have a lack of time to revise for both because the exams were together and i am a last minute person :'( . If delegated legislation in the law paper dose not come up nor constitution and parliament in separate sections of polotics than im f*****

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my teacher saying that I've spotted a pattern and would it be ok to revise the 2 and she said basically said a big fat no, and that I must revise 3 and that some places revise all 4. But to be honest I just can't see why they would change the pattern after 7-8 exam in a row - it's always been that Parliament and Constitution are "paired" as are PM and Judiciary , as in the 2 never have appeared in same section. I've just made essay plans for PM, Judiciary and one for Parliament which I can fetch from memory if it is bad luck - I just don't have the mental strength right now to revise all the possible exam qs for that, remembering the other 2 is hard enough...

As for Law, I have wrote notes on EU law, delegated legislation, Law Commission and Legislation on its own (Bills etc.) - I also predict that Delegated Legislation will come up but it may be matched with legislation or law commission (I read somewhere that legislation was more likely) so it may be worth if you can just familiarizing yourself with the bill process.

I wish you all the best of luck - I am livid these exams are back to back, and it seems even though there is a 20-30 min gap between the two we can't look at notes - which means I'm frantically trying to remember them now - lets hop for easy questions :/

ReputationRep:
    haha im sure mine would say the same and yeah i spotted that too thats why i thought id just revise one pair. i only started my revision yesterday which i will Never do again!! but iv not stopped.
    And oh yeah iv done the pre legislation process but still need to do law commission just in case, hopefully that will be quick though.
    aww thanks, good luck to you to & oh your lucky to have a break atleast, we've been told we do not get even a 5 minute break between the exams because we have to do G & P straight after our law exam unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria De Montero)
    haha im sure mine would say the same and yeah i spotted that too thats why i thought id just revise one pair. i only started my revision yesterday which i will Never do again!! but iv not stopped.
    And oh yeah iv done the pre legislation process but still need to do law commission just in case, hopefully that will be quick though.
    aww thanks, good luck to you to & oh your lucky to have a break atleast, we've been told we do not get even a 5 minute break between the exams because we have to do G & P straight after our law exam unfortunately
    You're more than welcome! Oh no :/ That sucks! I must admit I've just heard we have a break - whether it's true or not I haven't a clue.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my teacher saying that I've spotted a pattern and would it be ok to revise the 2 and she said basically said a big fat no, and that I must revise 3 and that some places revise all 4. But to be honest I just can't see why they would change the pattern after 7-8 exam in a row - it's always been that Parliament and Constitution are "paired" as are PM and Judiciary , as in the 2 never have appeared in same section. I've just made essay plans for PM, Judiciary and one for Parliament which I can fetch from memory if it is bad luck - I just don't have the mental strength right now to revise all the possible exam qs for that, remembering the other 2 is hard enough...

As for Law, I have wrote notes on EU law, delegated legislation, Law Commission and Legislation on its own (Bills etc.) - I also predict that Delegated Legislation will come up but it may be matched with legislation or law commission (I read somewhere that legislation was more likely) so it may be worth if you can just familiarizing yourself with the bill process.

I wish you all the best of luck - I am livid these exams are back to back, and it seems even though there is a 20-30 min gap between the two we can't look at notes - which means I'm frantically trying to remember them now - lets hop for easy questions :/
    what topics/questions do you predict will come up?

ReputationRep:
    You missed Judiciary
    The structure of the exam means you only have to study three topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liamnut)
    The structure of the exam means you only have to study three topics.
    I know. I thought he'd include all 4 topics in his notes, that's all

ReputationRep:
    You're more than welcome! Oh no :/ That sucks! I must admit I've just heard we have a break - whether it's true or not I haven't a clue.
    how did it go?? im so glad everything came up just the way i predicted, the questions were perfect but i just ran out of time, i had too much to write and kept getting carried away with the first questions. I am pretty sure i did well in what i answered but im really worried about what i missed out because of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria De Montero)
    how did it go?? im so glad everything came up just the way i predicted, the questions were perfect but i just ran out of time, i had too much to write and kept getting carried away with the first questions. I am pretty sure i did well in what i answered but im really worried about what i missed out because of time
    To be honest with you? Total disaster. I was so happy that I was right with the pattern (never judiciary and PM+C in same section) but the 25 marker for judiciary and 40 marker for PM just blew me. I don't know why, I just wasn't expecting a question on liberties or coalition - I had examples ready for PM growth but hardly any for coalition so I had to think of loads of Cameron/Clegg ones on the spot. I still managed to write 4 pages for the essay (which I think was a load of waffle) and for judiciary I had to bullet point the other side of argument due to running out of time - as for A/B qs, I wrote one point from the source for A and missed out the rest - loosing about 14 marks But the way I look at it, I was really confident when I retook unit 1 last week and am hoping for a high grade in that, so even if this one goes to dogs it's 50/50 and unit 1 could bring up my grade - but we'll see.

As for Law though I thought that was a brilliant paper! I knew DL would come up with legislation and all my revision went into that (with some into Law reform just in case). I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't revised controls and their strengths/weaknesses but fingers crossed. Good luck with your results!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

For the question "the HOL is now more effective at checking the power of the government than the HOC" .

I talked about the recent reforms the HOL i.e. removal of the hereditary peers etc, as an improvement to its effectiveness (AO2- lack of legal power citing numerous example cba to remember). I then talked about the Demise in the Commons in its ability to check the Government through the partisan nature of PMQs etc and political point scoring. I then went on to mention the shift in scrutiny towards select committees, countering with its lack of legal power etc. I then finished with a final evaluation of the Commons as actually under the coalition with the small majority that the government possesses it is now more effectively checked (citing voting figures) by the opposition rather than the large majorities seen with Blair and "steam rolling" legislation.

Just wandering what other people put and would this be alright?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any UNIT ONE GOV & POLITICS AS Notes? Got the mock in January, and would really appreciate any notes!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 11, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.