Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll more than likely be studying comp sci at QM this coming year, so thanks guys for the info, it's quite useful.
    Could I ask what your current timetable is like? I'm wary of 9AM starts as I'm travelling in from home and the rush hour is definitely the last thing I'm looking forward to.

Also, does it really matter how many girls there'll be on the course, really? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kleptomaniac)
    I'll more than likely be studying comp sci at QM this coming year, so thanks guys for the info, it's quite useful.
    Could I ask what your current timetable is like? I'm wary of 9AM starts as I'm travelling in from home and the rush hour is definitely the last thing I'm looking forward to.

Also, does it really matter how many girls there'll be on the course, really? :P
    The timetable changes year to year........... sometimes there can be, sometimes there can be one right at the end of the day, etc you wont know till you get there. There should be a few early before 12pm ones or so, etc

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Queen Mary's for Computer Science with Business Management, and this might sound a bit sad but honestly can't wait till I get my results and go!! Almost counting down the seconds here!

ReputationRep:
    Info:

You spend 15-20 hours per week in lectures. (you're supposed to do 15-20 hours / week of independent research and study)

Queen Mary has a respected Computer Science department.

Lecturers are there to teach you the content, not to make sure if you understood it.
    That's your job, you should attend study groups, do some research and contact your lecturers and subject tutors for help.

The harder you work the more you get out of it. Graduate with a 1st and you'll have a good chance of finding a job... You can then do your Msc and PHD if necessary.

The only thing I'm curious about is the facilities at QM.. It doesn't seem like it has anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xygen)
    Info:

You spend 15-20 hours per week in lectures. (you're supposed to do 15-20 hours / week of independent research and study)

Queen Mary has a respected Computer Science department.

Lecturers are there to teach you the content, not to make sure if you understood it.
    That's your job, you should attend study groups, do some research and contact your lecturers and subject tutors for help.

The harder you work the more you get out of it. Graduate with a 1st and you'll have a good chance of finding a job... You can then do your Msc and PHD if necessary.

The only thing I'm curious about is the facilities at QM.. It doesn't seem like it has anything.
    In terms of lectures its actually more around............12-16 hours of lectures..........and about 4-6 hours of lab sessions.

Trust me there about two lectures that you'll dislike in each year..........one didn't even accept emails from us, stating he's not paid to answer them :lolwut:

Computer science and electronic engineering is one department.................they have a dedicated computer building, 3 floors, separate login system to the rest of qmul, faster and better computers.
    Drapers is nearby as well as the gym and sports hall...........there is a library, study rooms, etc the hive(huge non-silent study area) and a small hive which is more homey.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know roughly how much all the first year text books will come to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explicit4u)
    Do you know roughly how much all the first year text books will come to?
    for computer science?
    books :rofl: for computer science, to be fair all the material you can access for each module is good enough for your needs, its a reflection on the exam at the end. Though resources given are different depending on the module. So you can just borrow the book from the library and just renew it online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    In terms of lectures its actually more around............12-16 hours of lectures..........and about 4-6 hours of lab sessions.

Trust me there about two lectures that you'll dislike in each year..........one didn't even accept emails from us, stating he's not paid to answer them :lolwut:

Computer science and electronic engineering is one department.................they have a dedicated computer building, 3 floors, separate login system to the rest of qmul, faster and better computers.
    Drapers is nearby as well as the gym and sports hall...........there is a library, study rooms, etc the hive(huge non-silent study area) and a small hive which is more homey.
    Yeah but QM doesn't seem to have that large campus that most other unis like brunel and Leicester have. QM is just of a main road (that sucks); It doesn't have that independence (away from the outside world) like most universities have.

If you go to Leicester university or Brunel you'll find the university in a corner where inside the borders you can find everything.. I like it like that, it's more private.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but QM doesn't seem to have that large campus that most other unis like brunel and Leicester have. QM is just of a main road (that sucks); It doesn't have that independence (away from the outside world) like most universities have.

If you go to Leicester university or Brunel you'll find the university in a corner where inside the borders you can find everything.. I like it like that, it's more private.
    Considering this is in inner London, its very good in terms of a campus compared to other inner London uni's.

ReputationRep:
    Considering this is in inner London, its very good in terms of a campus compared to other inner London uni's.
    hi, in the second module professional and reserach temes, it says yiu have to give an oral presentation, is this infront of the whole lecture theate? or in small groups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    hi, in the second module professional and reserach temes, it says yiu have to give an oral presentation, is this infront of the whole lecture theate? or in small groups?
    They changed stuff recently............my module version of that was called Professional applications.................its basically to do more with getting job skills, etc its mandatory.

100% coursework, the presentation is the final thing, usually you have to write a essay as well, its in a group 4-6 people as I recall.
    In a lecture theatre, but when we did it we had a severe restriction on slides and more on talking, though to be fair when people were done they just left.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to study CS @ QM starting 2015. What grades do I need? As far as I know it's 3Bs at A Level and B at GCSE maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakilwashere)
    I'm hoping to study CS @ QM starting 2015. What grades do I need? As far as I know it's 3Bs at A Level and B at GCSE maths.
    Thats it

No specific A-Levels required

ReputationRep:
    They changed stuff recently............my module version of that was called Professional applications.................its basically to do more with getting job skills, etc its mandatory.

100% coursework, the presentation is the final thing, usually you have to write a essay as well, its in a group 4-6 people as I recall.
    In a lecture theatre, but when we did it we had a severe restriction on slides and more on talking, though to be fair when people were done they just left.
    Hi, thanks for your help, in your opinion what is the best laptop to buy for conputer science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    Hi, thanks for your help, in your opinion what is the best laptop to buy for conputer science?
    A MacBook

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you enjoy using/is within your budget, from the number of people I've spoken to pretty much any modern laptop will do for CS so just get something that meets any other needs you might have (e.g. gaming, good screen for digital art etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    Honestly, I don't even have a laptop looool just use the itl building...........though I will admit it would be nice as there are situations when it does help.

ReputationRep:
    A MacBook
    Are you high? Only applefags buy macbooks... If you know anything about anything you should know that in the case of most apple products you pay an excess of £200 just for the brand alone! And Mac OS is not good for CS, you definitely want to go for Win7. You should spend around £400 for a decent laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakilwashere)
    Are you high? Only applefags buy macbooks... If you know anything about anything you should know that in the case of most apple products you pay an excess of £200 just for the brand alone! And Mac OS is not good for CS, you definitely want to go for Win7. You should spend around £400 for a decent laptop.

You're problem is with the pricing. Every CS student I know either uses a MacBook or a Laptop with a Linux machine...

ReputationRep:
    I need some quick help here, how popular is CS @ QM? If i were to miss my 300 ucas points offer by, perhaps, 20 is there a chance they might still accept me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.