Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls, How important is a mans physique? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollied)
    This always bugs me, girls always say about skinny boys, i weigh 8 stone, 5' 10" and I'd be willing to bet I eat more junk food than majority of fat people. Being skinny isn't hard work for me, but I think some people don't understand just like how people can't help being fat, neither can people that are skinny. I once made it up to 10 stone with the help of some prescribed steroids by the doctor, then I carried on eating this high intake diet and I lost it all.
    Also you know being skinny is bad when you have to wear size 8 womens jeans because mens skinnys look like slim fits.
    I know that feel, mate (except for the jeans bit lol). I struggle to put on weight, no matter how much I eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamboogy)
    **** that... I don't stay in shape for girls... I stay in shape for myself.

If girls like it, then that's just a bonus.
    You go, err, boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm really not that bothered about a guys body.
    Having a six pack and muscles is definitely less important than sense of humour, intelligence, ambition, kindness etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I know that feel, mate (except for the jeans bit lol). I struggle to put on weight, no matter how much I eat.
    In a way though, I like it.
    You had a tattoo? This is the downfall haha, forever on bone!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't care too much about a man's body. As long as he isn't extremely skinny or overweight, it's good. He should be healthy looking though - junk food will result in bad skin, a flabby body and generally an unappealing appearance.

Women's opinions vary on this subject, but my observation is that most women will avoid the outer extremes but not be overly picky as long as it's somewhere in the middle. There is also sometimes a discrepancy between what women say they like and what they choose - some girls can rave about how fit male models but never look for toned bodies in the men they date.
    In fact the men I know who do very well with women all have quite 'normal' bodies. They work out but also eat well and have perhaps a little bit of belly. The range of personal characteristics such as confidence, charisma, success, ambition, wealth, humor, social skills and masculinity far outweigh six packs and bulging muscles in terms of success with women, among the men I know. This is just an observation and a female opinion, of course taking care of yourself is always a good thing. But of course any clever person who want to get successful with the opposite sex will think about priorities. In the same way a woman who is a 9 but has a boring personality will waste her time spending more time in front of the mirror, a man who's insecure with women is better off improving that than perfectionize the abs if he already has a decent body.

ReputationRep:
    Ideal physique is very much a matter of personal taste. I have a friend, for example, who prefers men with a broad, muscular build and doesn't mind what height they are. I, on the other hand, have a penchant for tall, lean, slightly geeky-looking guys. In spite of this, cliche though it may sound, I do think that personality is more important than appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Honestly don't care, so long as he isn't fat.
    contradicting statement much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Since working on my upper body I can categorically confirm that good physique raises many a woman's eyebrows
    skipping leg day i see :slap:

I have always been a podgy lad with man boobs my whole life so should I just quit now?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I need to get rid of this belly then :-)

ReputationRep:
    It's not too important, I guess, though I wouldn't want him to be overweight or too skinny. I'm quite slim so I like a guy a little bigger than me. Little things turn me on big time (or maybe I'm just weird...). Like for example, big manly hands.

ReputationRep:
    This always bugs me, girls always say about skinny boys, i weigh 8 stone, 5' 10" and I'd be willing to bet I eat more junk food than majority of fat people. Being skinny isn't hard work for me, but I think some people don't understand just like how people can't help being fat, neither can people that are skinny. I once made it up to 10 stone with the help of some prescribed steroids by the doctor, then I carried on eating this high intake diet and I lost it all.
    Also you know being skinny is bad when you have to wear size 8 womens jeans because mens skinnys look like slim fits.
    Why don't you understand how macros works, make a diet and print it out. Then tick off the thinks you've eaten throughout the day. If you are consistent then you will gain weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatheticVirgin)
    Why don't you understand how macros works, make a diet and print it out. Then tick off the thinks you've eaten throughout the day. If you are consistent then you will gain weight.
    That sounds like it requires effort. And, to be honest, I'm not too fussed about my physique. If other people don't happen to like it, then that's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like it requires effort. And, to be honest, I'm not too fussed about my physique. If other people don't happen to like it, then that's their problem.
    Each to their own

ReputationRep:
    I prefer slimmer men than myself but also a bit taller than myself too. around 32 waist is pretty perfect. I don't really go for muscular guys because I don't like hypermasculinity personally. However, my boyfriends have erred either side and been muscular, a bit chubby or ultra skinny. Whatever man, just have a nice face and have lots in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have always been a podgy lad with man boobs my whole life so should I just quit now?
    How about you lose some weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    skipping leg day i see :slap:

Beat me to it.

:bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    How about you lose some weight
    That's not very nice.:K:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamboogy)
    **** that... I don't stay in shape for girls... I stay in shape for myself.

If girls like it, then that's just a bonus.
    Learned that the hard way. If you exercise for girls and to look good in the club, etc then you will fail. Definitely. It's best to do everything for yourself.

warning for men: what is a perfect physique to us is different for women. When we look t physiques we usually just wanna be massive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a solution rather than a problem. They sell too many skinny jeans and not enough slim fits. That is all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.