Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I do English Language and English Literature (separate A-levels) and I find Philosophy & Ethics (which is with OCR) extremely difficult, but love the subject. I'm a Christian and it definitely makes you question God, but I wouldn't say it makes you question your religious. This is because the subject really only challenges the concept and existence of God, not religion as a whole.

Personally, I struggle with Philosophy but enjoy it more than Ethics which I find easier (except Natural Law) I hate that!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Critical thinking turning people into atheists? No way.

ReputationRep:
    There's somebody in my Philosophy class who is religious and it certainly hasn't changed her ignorant ways - which is ironic because she's actually quite intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    There's somebody in my Philosophy class who is religious and it certainly hasn't changed her ignorant ways - which is ironic because she's actually quite intelligent.
    Because she's religious she's ignorant? That infantile generalisation is ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    Because she's religious she's ignorant? That infantile generalisation is ignorant.
    Definition of ignorant: Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.

She is unaware that the probability of god existing is next to zero. Furthermore, she isn't very good at defending her beliefs; whenever someone questions a part of her religion, she just says she doesn't believe in that part :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    People are born without the notion of a god. Hence people don't turn into Atheists. They are born Atheists. The idiots that raise them, introduce them to the idea of a god and so they start to believe in one. Hence why most children believe in the idea of Santa. If you tell a child that a god exists everything single day throughout there childhood, they will believe that one exists. They could turn back to being Atheists again but that depends on the child. If the child still has the basic human attributes of logic and reason, however most of the time, the mind of the child probably has passed the point of no return. Hence westboro baptist church and their followers.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.