Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Role Models: One way in which men and women don't have equality. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Seems that any woman who is famous has relied somewhat on her looks. Even Marie Forleo, for all of her drive and positive-thinking shtick, could not deny that she'd never have been as successful and got as much publicity as she has done if she wasn't a looker.

Also, the way women revere tin-pot celebrities who roll off of the reality TV production line is laughable. At some point it must occur to them that these women/people are famous for absolutely no reason at all. And "Jordan" is not a businesswomen. She may have sold many perfumes, books, clothes and whatever else but she relied heavily on her plastic celebrity status to get there, not to mention her plastic breasts.

There are also many female entrepreneurs out there who have net millions in profit, but most women will probably never look up to them. That way of life just does not have the same surface appeal as that of a recording artist/model/dancer/actress/TV personality. Many successful female athletes don't have the following they deserve either.

On second thought, Marie Forleo isn't even that famous. Although she's somewhat ingenious for building a successful business that tells people how to have a successful business. There's no substance within it at all.
    What are your opinions of Jessica Ennis?

Seems like two weeks after the Olympics, people have stopped talking about her

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised, I don't have any role models either. Except one, Napoleon Hill. If it weren't for reading his work and applying his ideas to my life - I wouldn't be where I am today. He's actually shaped my entire career and how I look at life today.

It used to be football players and F1 drivers in the past but I only liked them because they were good at what they do, not particularly because they were 'good people'

ReputationRep:
    Sigourney Weaver is quite a good female role model, especially her Ripley character.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes, there does seem a disparity with the gender of role models. This may be partially explained that historically women were often not in a position to achieve lasting fame, and so most historical role models would have been male, with various notable exceptions (Marie Curie, Madam de Pompadour, Joan of Arc, etc.).

Today, however, despite a more prominent role in the media, there still seem comparatively few female role models. Aung San Suu Kyi being the obvious exception, as well as female parliamentary MPs, Princess Diana, and so forth, but these still unfortunately seem exceptional cases. Often it seems that they have exposure off the back of some other, more prominent male figure, such as Barack Obama in Michelle Obama's case, Prince Charles in Lady D's case, and so on.

What I am left to admit is that of all those whom I would personally call a role model, there is not a single woman among them. Whether this is a statement about me or of society, I am unsure.

ReputationRep:
    It is because men are the best at everything!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.