Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung Galaxy Mega Announced- How big is too big? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that the optimal size for a phone is one iPhone possesses. It's convenient to hold in hand and near the ear. everything depicted avove is too large and uncomfortable, to my mind.

ReputationRep:
    It's odd how phone sizes seem to be migrating back up again. I remember when I got my first phone, you were lucky to get anything smaller than your foot.

Then they got smaller, and smaller, and everyone wanted a tiny little thing like a Nokia 8210. And people assumed they'd soon be the size of a pen, or your little finger, everything was about making them smaller.

Now they're essentially becoming bricks again, but a brick with a fancy touchscreen is still a brick.

I'm not a fan of giant phones (no more than I was a fan of tiny ones), and if I wanted a tablet I'd buy a tablet. Huge phones are impractical and seem to almost miss the point of what they're supposed to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahftw_)
    4" is enough for me tbh
    :giggle:

Phone screen sizes are getting stupid, im put off by Nexus 4 as I think its too big to be practical and that isn't even that big compared to others. I want a phone that can easily fit in my pocket. I think Steve Jobs had it right when he said that 3.5" is the optimal most comfortable screen size, the iphone 4/4s just looks right for a phone in my opinion.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Well, it's good for those of us with poor eye sight...

Seriously, it's getting silly now. You can get tablets which are 7". These 5" phones aren't phones to me - they might as well be mini tablets.

I have a Huawei Ascend G300 and that's big enough, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Well, it's good for those of us with poor eye sight...

Seriously, it's getting silly now. You can get tablets which are 7". These 5" phones aren't phones to me - they might as well be mini tablets.

I have a Huawei Ascend G300 and that's big enough, imo.
    The word you're looking for is "Phablet".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Aww! The iPhone looks so tiny! While I love samsungs style, I don't really like large phones. I see no need for such a big screen. The note II looks awesome but I don't think I would want anything that big.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends what you mean by large. On the other side of the argument I own a small phone and I hate it. I quite like the Galaxy S3, found it fairly comfortable to use but I haven't used the Note II and these new phones seem more tablet than phone. I've got nothing against that per se I just think it should be marketed that way. I might even go for it if I treated it as a phablet rather than a phone. That extra space would be good for messaging and it would certainly be great to directly send a text from it than use an app like tabtalk via my tablet(Nexus 7). Phone calls may be a bit more difficult but my phone plan only has 250 mins and I use speaker phone a lot so I could probably live with that for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's why it's called the 'Mega', no duh it was going to be massive. I swear Samsung have so many large phones and small tablets I can't even tell what is what anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexa8355)
    It seems to me that the optimal size for a phone is one iPhone possesses. It's convenient to hold in hand and near the ear. everything depicted avove is too large and uncomfortable, to my mind.
    No, no, no, I totally disagree with you there. I have a phone with a similar screen size to the iPhone. It's too small for me, I'm a two thumb typer and those screens aren't designed for two thumbs. It's too crowded for my liking. Galaxy S3 is a lot more optimal in my mind, that said I haven't tested enough to give a perfect size. To a degree it depends on your purposes though.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that 3.7" was a good screen size until I moved to 4.7" (HTC Desire S to HTC One).

I now think that devices that size of the S2 are pretty much spot on. So, fit as much screen on that chassis as you can! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what Samsung is doing...

The galaxy mega series and note series will surely cannibalize each other?

ReputationRep:
    I've got the note 2 and it's the best phone I've ever had. I thought it would be hard to hold and type but you just get used to it like any other phone. Personally I like big screens but each to their own really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    :giggle:

Phone screen sizes are getting stupid, im put off by Nexus 4 as I think its too big to be practical and that isn't even that big compared to others. I want a phone that can easily fit in my pocket. I think Steve Jobs had it right when he said that 3.5" is the optimal most comfortable screen size, the iphone 4/4s just looks right for a phone in my opinion.
    Lol cheeky

I agree; big phones are not comfortable. I can just about reach the top corners of the 3.8" I'm on at the moment.

Bigger isn't the way forward. If it is, then what's the point of having a tablet aside from being a mini pc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahftw_)
    Bigger isn't the way forward. If it is, then what's the point of having a tablet aside from being a mini pc?
    8 hours video playback on one charge. Not many laptops that will do that. They're excellent mobile media devices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I always thought that 3.7" was a good screen size until I moved to 4.7" (HTC Desire S to HTC One).

I now think that devices that size of the S2 are pretty much spot on. So, fit as much screen on that chassis as you can! :yep:
    I think in today's world you've got to think a bit more outside the box. You can't think, "Ok, I'm getting a phone." It's almost like you've got to consider the phone functionality equal to everything else it can do. I think a lot of people will want to hold it up to their ear without it looking ridiculous but the phablet form factor can certainly be great. One particularly advantage is as a media consumption device. A bigger screen is handy. Games too. It's more of finding a middle ground and certainly isn't a one size fits all world. Everyone has their own purposes and while some people may like a smaller screen others may like a larger screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    No, no, no, I totally disagree with you there. I have a phone with a similar screen size to the iPhone. It's too small for me, I'm a two thumb typer and those screens aren't designed for two thumbs. It's too crowded for my liking.
    Did you not rotate the phone landscape? Or was that still small?

ReputationRep:
    Too big. I think my Dad's Note is massive. You might as well get a tablet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    I think in today's world you've got to think a bit more outside the box. You can't think, "Ok, I'm getting a phone." It's almost like you've got to consider the phone functionality equal to everything else it can do. I think a lot of people will want to hold it up to their ear without it looking ridiculous but the phablet form factor can certainly be great. One particularly advantage as a media consumption device. A bigger screen is handy. Games too. It's more of finding a middle ground and certainly isn't a one size fits all world. Everyone has their own purposes and while some people may like a smaller screen others may like a larger screen.
    I have a N7, so most the media functions such as video and games are kinda redundant for me when it came to choosing a phone. TBH, when I went for a new phone, it was a toss up between the Xperia Z and the One. I went for the One because it's screen felt better.

There are certainly a myriad reasons for getting phone A over phone B though and I agree - it's almost a minefield finding the right one!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Note 2 from my work recently and i love it. It does seem too big at first but once you use it for a week everything else seems to small. The big screen really does help when multitasking or viewing media on the go.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of "phones" are actually more like half-phones,half-tablets.

I like my mobiles and tablets to be completely different (in size). Samsung are now making phones that look ridiculous. Imagine walking around talking on one of those or texting. It would be practically impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing about big screens; more of a reason for people to look at what you're texting while on public transport lol. It's already annoying as it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.