x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Still, it's only for a month and would both rejuvenate the back room and probably rack up more paid subscriptions. Even if everyone on the site did it, they'd only have one month ad-less and so many would re-sub that it'd be justified.
    True - although I'm not sure as to whether they'd make more from subs or from the could be subs seeing adverts, I suspect the latter though.

To get a sub with the proposed, you'd need to Tweet about TSR, Follow them, Share them on FB, and like them on FB. That's quite a tall order and will definitely attract more people to the site that aren't going to subscribe like this straight away.
    That would create a fair bit of publicity, although it'd be interesting to see how many visitors coming through that route would then stick around - if they don't then the widen scope is going to be incredibly short-lived and not really of much use.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    True - although I'm not sure as to whether they'd make more from subs or from the could be subs seeing adverts, I suspect the latter though.

That would create a fair bit of publicity, although it'd be interesting to see how many visitors coming through that route would then stick around - if they don't then the widen scope is going to be incredibly short-lived and not really of much use.

I think the site has enough to offer for people to hang around. I mean all of us here kept on using it after first stumbling on it for something random (Pretty sure mine was a google search about loan payments).

The adverts won't suddenly pay less for the space after one month, and it's only one month that's going to be the danger zone when alot of people use it to subscribe. If site footfall (I don't know what it's called in internet terms :lol) increases from facebook and tweets anyway, it kinda pays off

I get what you mean though, it might only bring a few people in. But some of those people might be valuable posters, and benefit the site as a whole, and they might bring more of their friends in, etc etc.... It's definitely worth it in my opinion and a great idea.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

TSR makes money from ad impressions (judging by their media pack). Many of the people browsing the site aren't members. Right now there are: 1142 Members, 7628 Guests browsing the site and adverts are still shown to guest users.

Given that, I don't think TSR will really be at a loss for dishing out credits in this way. There should, however, be a cap. Perhaps only allowing you to complete each of the criteria once per account?

ReputationRep:
    What do you do with credits? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  tsr.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  8.5 KB

My editing skills leave a lot to be desired... but giving these away could certainly help and would probably eliminate a good proportion of threads in the Tech forums! :lol:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Name:  tsr.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  8.5 KB

My editing skills leave a lot to be desired... but giving these away could certainly help and would probably eliminate a good proportion of threads in the Tech forums! :lol:
    Is that... a memory stick? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Is that... a memory stick? :curious:
    :lol: Yes!

A friendly reminder for students to back up their dissertations!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :lol: Yes!

A friendly reminder for students to back up their dissertations!
    I see what you did there. And I raise you this product, targeted at people who won't stop complaining about their rep.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you did there. And I raise you this product, targeted at people who won't stop complaining about their rep.
    :lol:

I have no answer to that!

ReputationRep:
    But I'm not on social networking sites :sad:

Great idea though :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

PRSOM! This is genius!

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a great idea It would get TSR more publicity, and it gives members a chance to see what it's like to be a subscriber, and some might pay to subscribe once their month is done.

I've thought about subscribing before but didn't want to pay for a month incase I didn't get much use out of it and it was a waste of money. Getting a 'free' month would give a try before you buy option.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Someone did bring this point up with me over PM though...

By giving credits away so easily, it may make the MOTM and Study Help MOTM prizes seem less significant. Though they do get an additional amazon voucher. Thoughts?

So I saw this tweet:

How about implementing a system like this:

Like the facebook page: 100 credits
    Share the facebook page: 100 credits
    Follow TSR on twitter: 100 credits
    Tweet about TSR: 100 credits

Video Review (> 1 minute): 300 credits
    Blog Review (> 250 words): 200 credits

Many websites / companies have a similar rewards system in place. This will definitely drive more people to your social network pages and write reviews if you give them an incentive to do so.

Just a thought.
    How would you match the user to the person tweeting/sharing FB etc?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by K)
    How would you match the user to the person tweeting/sharing FB etc?
    Hmm..

I suggest creating an area of the forum where members can just post the link to their blog / tweet / facebook share link. A mod can just verify it and award the credits. Sounds like a lot more work but if people do start sharing, tweeting and blogging about TSR, you would want to read their feedback / comments to see what has been done well and what needs improving upon. :yep:

An automated system is possible; a simple way (no additional login implementations etc), would be to create a separate page for this credits system, where the like, follow, share buttons are shown. The clicks can be tracked so that once a user has clicked on the like|follow button, it records that the user has liked the facebook page and hides the button (so there won't be any immediate dislikes / unfollows). This doesn't stop users from doing so elsewhere but most wouldn't be bothered to navigate all the way to your social media pages to undo their action. To read tweets, posts and shares, an app will have to be created but that will take up quite a bit of dev time that could be used to improve the site instead.

I suggest manually going through the video / blog feedback though. Might be quite interesting to watch the reviews anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..

I suggest creating an area of the forum where members can just post the link to their blog / tweet / facebook share link. A mod can just verify it and award the credits. Sounds like a lot more work but if people do start sharing, tweeting and blogging about ...
    No way.

It would be way too much work for the admins/mods, and would potentially even distract them from more important issues, such as hate speech, trolling, spam, etc...

I would suggest something like the facebook API, that way it is all automated and efficient. No effort required, apart from some basic initial coding.

Disclaimer: Just trying to help with suggestions here, I actually HATE Facebook. Also, if Facebook is included, ADMINS, please, at least for the sake of equality, include the G+ API as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    No way.

It would be way too much work for the admins/mods, and would potentially even distract them from more important issues, such as hate speech, trolling, spam, etc...

I would suggest something like the facebook API, that way it is all automated and efficient. No effort required, apart from some basic initial coding.

Disclaimer: Just trying to help with suggestions here, I actually HATE Facebook. Also, if Facebook is included, ADMINS, please, at least for the sake of equality, include the G+ API as well.
    Implementing facebook and twitter APIs isn't "basic initial coding". There is a lot more development work required for that. My suggestion for tracking the likes and button clicks will be less accurate but does not require as much coding.

That said, a full and proper implementation of these APIs can drastically improve many features on TSR. If the devs get the time to work on something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Implementing facebook and twitter APIs isn't "basic initial coding". There is a lot more development work required for that. My suggestion for tracking the likes and button clicks will be less accurate but does not require as much coding.

That said, a full and proper implementation of these APIs can drastically improve many features on TSR. If the devs get the time to work on something like that.
    OK, yes, hardly "basic" coding. But not impossible either.

However, API's are the way forward IMO, as many mainstream/popular websites with high traffic use it. Keep in mind that some other methods may also be open to abuse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.