Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Coventry, DMU, Northampton, BCU and Wolverhampton for 2014 entry

ReputationRep:
    Really! I am applying for midwifery at jmu too but haven't sent off appl yet as im currently half way through a work placement at the Liverpool women's hospital. I wanted to complete this before applying so to mention it in my ps. When did you apply? X

ReputationRep:
    I applied october 10th x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ive sent my application off for midwifery to start 2014 ie applied for keele, Birmigham city, stafford and Wolverhampton! This is my second time applying. Was unsuccessful last year due to being so nervous at interview I couldn't get my words out. I don't have any midwifery related exp. apart from giving birth myself and being my sisters birthing partner! I have done volunteering work only for 12 months in the hospital cafe. Only problem is I have a criminal record. I'm 21 now and I got 2 police cautions for fighting at the age of 14 which I deeply regret they were only a caution and warning trough does anyone know if this will affect my application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs Bear)
    I have applied to Coventry, DMU, Northampton, BCU and Wolverhampton for 2014 entry
    Hey, I've applied for those 5 aswell, have you got any replies?

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for 2014 entry at Birmingham City, Coventry, Keele, Nottingham and Worcester!
    So far I have an interview at Coventry in January and Nottingham in February. I'm awaiting replies from the others!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for midwifery september 2014 at Birmingham City, Wolverhampton, Worcester, Staffordshire and Cardiff. My application was only sent off from my college today although I paid and sent it weeks ago. I have had an email from ucas to say that it has been sent to the five universities. Fingers crossed! x

ReputationRep:
    Hey I sent mine off on the 19th of November to Edge Hill, Manchester, Leeds, Northumbria and LJMU but unfortunately LJMU rejected my application. They said 'a good personal statement however more midwifery related experience and professional reading around the subject would strengthen your application'

I applied EVERYWHERE for voluntary work experience. Went to GP and asked to shadow him and/or the community midwife; Southport & Ormskirk as well as Wigan & Leigh hospital; Sure Start centres, First steps; local ante natal classes; people I know who are midwives and even a friends dad who's sister is a midwife in Sheffield (hours away from me), but they all said no or just never replied!! How am I supposed to get Midwifery work experience if nowhere will take me on?

I've done work experience in a care home for months, British heart foundation shop for three years, hospital lab work experience and volunteered at a Hindu health mela where I was helping counsel patients just diagnosed with diabetes (I mentioned all this and related them to midwifery- even saying how diabetes is becoming more common and a problem for pregnant women nowadays).

My professional reading consists of textbooks, student midwife.net and my own googling. Some of us don't have the money to pay for MIDIRS subscriptions but I spoke about lotus birthing and breast feeding issues- which I obviously had to do research on.

I got BBBC in Jan (dropped the C) and it's in Chemistry, Biology and PE- C was English combined. Predicted three A's so it can't be academics

So I'm really worried about my other options. I know loads that have been rejected for midwifery... ANYONE HAVE GOOD NEWS?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syd123)
    I have an interview at liverpool john moores on december 4th! Any tips???x

Hey how how did it go?!

I was rejected from them (I just posted a thread).

Can I ask what experience you have had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlhan)
    Hey I sent mine off on the 19th of November to Edge Hill, Manchester, Leeds, Northumbria and LJMU but unfortunately LJMU rejected my application. They said 'a good personal statement however more midwifery related experience and professional reading around the subject would strengthen your application'

I applied EVERYWHERE for voluntary work experience. Went to GP and asked to shadow him and/or the community midwife; Southport & Ormskirk as well as Wigan & Leigh hospital; Sure Start centres, First steps; local ante natal classes; people I know who are midwives and even a friends dad who's sister is a midwife in Sheffield (hours away from me), but they all said no or just never replied!! How am I supposed to get Midwifery work experience if nowhere will take me on?

I've done work experience in a care home for months, British heart foundation shop for three years, hospital lab work experience and volunteered at a Hindu health mela where I was helping counsel patients just diagnosed with diabetes (I mentioned all this and related them to midwifery- even saying how diabetes is becoming more common and a problem for pregnant women nowadays).

My professional reading consists of textbooks, student midwife.net and my own googling. Some of us don't have the money to pay for MIDIRS subscriptions but I spoke about lotus birthing and breast feeding issues- which I obviously had to do research on.

I got BBBC in Jan (dropped the C) and it's in Chemistry, Biology and PE- C was English combined. Predicted three A's so it can't be academics

So I'm really worried about my other options. I know loads that have been rejected for midwifery... ANYONE HAVE GOOD NEWS?!
    A lot of the problem is that Midwifery is a very very popular course so, we have to compete with so many other applicants! Also, what one admissions tutor decides about the fate of an application is not necessarily what another would decide about the same application.. In other words it can be quite subjective/depend on the admissions tutor!
    Just because you have been rejected by one university does not mean the others won't see your potential and offer you an interview!
    Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for midwifery at Huddersfield, Leeds, Bradford and Manchester
    Just sent the application off, so haven't heard anything yet, but I'm getting worried at the lack of experience I have compared to some people

ReputationRep:
    I also don't have an A-level in Biology but am studying with the Open College at the moment. Can anyone recommend any uni's that don't require A-level Biology for Midwifery?

ReputationRep:
    I've got an interview at Cardiff on the 3rd of Jan yayyy . Still waiting to hear from the other 4 I applied to.

Regards to the work experience, it is so so hard to get it but I managed to volunteer on a postnatal ward for a year and I was also my sisters birthing partner so I'm hoping that counts for something!

x x

ReputationRep:
    Hey how how did it go?!

I dont hear till april! I did a week on a ward an i volunteered in a care home for a while, ive done loads of reading tho! Sorry to hear of your rejection :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    ive applied for midwifery at Manchester, Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam, and liverpool john moores. Got an interview at liverpool in jam .
    anyone else heard anything?
    how are you preparing for interview?xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey how how did it go?!

somsorry to hear this did they tell you what went wrong or how to improve?? You will get the next one!!

ReputationRep:
    Hii everyone

I've applied for Midwifery 2014 at Manchester, Salford, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds and Coventry. So far I have had an interview at Salford and Manchester and i have an upcoming interview for Leeds. I did get offered an interview for Coventry but withdrew as I realised it was too far for me to go. Just have to wait to hear back from Sheffield Hallam now but they don't offer interview until after the UCAS deadline so i can chill for a bit!

I received an offer for a place from Manchester two days after my interview, still waiting to hear from Salford as they don't offer places until March! But Manchester is probably my first choice any way

How is everyone else getting on?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganWx)
    Hi everyone
    ive applied for midwifery at Manchester, Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam, and liverpool john moores. Got an interview at liverpool in jam .
    anyone else heard anything?
    how are you preparing for interview?xxxxx
    Hi hun, sheffield don't reply until after the ucas deadline so won't worry about them for now. I've had an interview at manchester and received an offer but it took me two months to hear from them for an interview invite! (i did apply the day ucas opened though) xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staceylea)
    Hi hun, sheffield don't reply until after the ucas deadline so won't worry about them for now. I've had an interview at manchester and received an offer but it took me two months to hear from them for an interview invite! (i did apply the day ucas opened though) xxx
    Oh that's brilliant!! So happy for you! Were the questions hard?!
    Im so nervous for mine!! Xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm at hertfordshire studying midwifery and I didn't do biology a level, but check with the individual unis for their entrance requirements.. I know kings want their students to have biology a level. Good luck Xxxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.