Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    I think I'd want to study something to do with the body or something like that but idk. Depends on what I get this I guess you?
    Anatomy? Physiology? (bio)medical sciences?

(Original post by CanineVet)
    That sounds interesting I love doing things focused on anatomy in biology
    Oh you think the stuff in S4 Biology counts as anatomy...cute. :mmm:
    Just you wait until you get to vet med, oh God, I'll pray for you.

(Original post by SpanishInquisition)
    Our school didn't push the REACH scheme as a widening access type of thing at all, it was only when the lecturer mentioned off hand that "you guys get things like lower entry requirements" that I realized. I won't complain about lower entry requirements but you're right it seems a bit unfair.
    I've been through this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I've been through this.
    I've heard that Glasgow uni runs the scheme on behalf of all the unis in Scotland. Did you find that being part of the scheme helped with your application to Edinburgh or any other Scottish schools you applied to?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    I've heard that Glasgow uni runs the scheme on behalf of all the unis in Scotland. Did you find that being part of the scheme helped with your application to Edinburgh or any other Scottish schools you applied to?
    It acted as an extra-curricular I could put down on my PS to show that I've "explored a career in medicine", but that was it (I actually forgot that I had done it until a few days before I submitted my application, so it was a last minute add :mmm:). You don't get any 'extras' on your application for any other universities. Just the "10% below" UKCAT thing for Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess this thread will apply to me then... Ello

ReputationRep:
    Ooo nice thread
    I'm in S4 right now just picked my Highers for next year -Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English- absolute ****ting myself for English! Two essay questions in 1hour and 30minutes...ehh no thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Passwords)
    Ooo nice thread
    I'm in S4 right now just picked my Highers for next year -Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English- absolute ****ting myself for English! Two essay questions in 1hour and 30minutes...ehh no thanks
    Glad somebody is as mad as me What do you want to do when you leave school?

ReputationRep:
    Hahah 3 sciences people must unite! I'm planning to go to university and study a course to do with biology (possibly biomedical science). What other subjects are you taking in S5?

ReputationRep:
    Hahah 3 sciences people must unite! I'm planning to go to university and study a course to do with biology (possibly biomedical science). What other subjects are you taking in S5?
    On top of the three sciences I'm doing History and Information Systems (my school isn't running Computing this year). Cool, one of my friends is doing biomedical science , looks like an interesting course

ReputationRep:
    So, how is everyone feeling about the exams ? I'm nervous, but things could be worse. I just hope I've done enough. Only thing I am worried about is the first week, English, Latin and Maths, ugh.

ReputationRep:
    On top of the three sciences I'm doing History and Information Systems (my school isn't running Computing this year). Cool, one of my friends is doing biomedical science , looks like an interesting course
    Yeah it contains all the things I am interested in, so I'm aiming for that at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    So, how is everyone feeling about the exams ? I'm nervous, but things could be worse. I just hope I've done enough. Only thing I am worried about is the first week, English, Latin and Maths, ugh.
    I'm freaking out about a few, especially English, Physics and Geography. I attempt to study but end up procrastinating on YouTube (too distracting!!)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. We've got plenty of time though, no procrastinating as of Monday and you'll be fine. Do 3 hours a day and a past paper, you'll beast it man.

ReputationRep:
    Anatomy? Physiology? (bio)medical sciences?
    I've looked at anatomy at Glasgow and it looks like an excellent course, but I only have to go on the information given by the booklet Although I did find someone over at the Glasgow university page and she put in a good recommendation for it

I've had a few people mention physiology so I'm going to check that one out soon when I get the chance! And I will also check out biomedical sciences!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    Yeah. We've got plenty of time though, no procrastinating as of Monday and you'll be fine. Do 3 hours a day and a past paper, you'll beast it man.
    3 hours of revision and a past paper a day??! :eek:
    And yeah as of Monday no procrastination (hopefully...)

ReputationRep:
    3 hours of revision and a past paper a day??! :eek:
    Why do you seem surprised? That isn't even that much. It is enough to get you through SG but when you get to highers you will be studying most of the day
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey guys, thought I would just join in this thread. I'm currently in S4 and only moved over to scotland 2 years ago, so still a bit new to the way it's done here. it's nice to see some other 4th years on here because I haven't see too many on this forum. Who else is crapping themselves for the exams? I know I am, too much sports and activities not enough studying, me thinks.

Edit: Forgot to add what subjects I'm taking: Math, Physics, French, Technological Studies (or is it Engineering Science now?) and English (the bain of my existence). I want to add chemistry but six highers seems a bit much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSM1996)
    Why do you seem surprised? That isn't even that much. It is enough to get you through SG but when you get to highers you will be studying most of the day
    You're exaggerating just a bit surely? If your studying most of the day for just Highers, you really have to develop your studying skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    You're exaggerating just a bit surely? If your studying most of the day for just Highers, you really have to develop your studying skills.
    Well yes I was exaggerating a bit, but you need to study a lot more than last year. I barely studied last year but this year I've tried to do more.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you think the stuff in S4 Biology counts as anatomy...cute. :mmm:
    Just you wait until you get to vet med, oh God, I'll pray for you.
    Ahaha! It does officially though although it is nothing compared to vet med but if I enjoy it I want to study it more so hopefully in the future it will get more and more interesting

Hey all newcomers! I'm finding it hard to study a lot too because I have been lambing a lot recently but I do feel adequately confident

I'm really annoyed I couldn't do 3 sciences or the REACH project!!! That's clearly unfair! Plus all vet summer schools I have scoured over the Internet for has similar requirements to REACH you have to r from an underprivileged background I know that sounds terrible saying that but I would like to attend a summer school related to vetmed but I would never be able to...

Sorry for rambling going off topic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can do maths (A in the Int 2 prelim) but I just find it so uninteresting. Sheets and sheets of questions and formulas, nothing practical. Personal taste I guess. Our school didn't push the REACH scheme as a widening access type of thing at all, it was only when the lecturer mentioned off hand that "you guys get things like lower entry requirements" that I realized. I won't complain about lower entry requirements but you're right it seems a bit unfair. Overall though it looks like a useful thing to be part of, with the interview and PS help and all that. That's something all candidates could benefit from. Our school hasn't even mentioned the Scottish Baccalaureate but I think I'll stick with Highers in any case! I hope to do Adv Higher Chemistry, Biology and probably Information Systems, plus crash Higher English in 6th. God help us
    Hahahahah I know! Go for it anyway I hope you enjoy it tell me what you do once your done it.

Our school have been shady about that too but I truly discovered its worth from a Deputy head at parents night who said I could do it in sixth year but I don't know. It takes up a hell of a lot of time and it could interfere with the rest of my studies, ill see it could be potentially rewarding I suppose I have actually tried to think of a few projects for it but I don't know the actual task it outlines so they may not fit into it well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.