Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    All Margaret Thatcher stuff aside, I do think society is funny when we start playing games like this! Makes me chuckle.
    Same. Radio 4 just mentioned this campaign too

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the miserable death-celebrating scrog-ends win!

♬ iTunes: http://bit.ly/inlovewithmargarethatcheritunes
    ♬ Amazon: http://bit.ly/inlovewithmargarethatcheramazon
    ♬ Play: http://bit.ly/inlovewithmargarethatcherplay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Same. Radio 4 just mentioned this campaign too
    From a neutral POV I hope it really takes off and gives the other track a good run for it's money! Oh we Brits are weird creatures! Taking our political views out of the ring and into the charts. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    This is not China. The so called free west cannot stop music the public wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/ne...-campaign.html

It's getting loads of publicity. And it's climbing the charts fast. Apparently The Sun are on their way to interview the Notsensibles.
    This is pathetic. I seriously cannot wait to stop hearing about Thatcher. She's completely invaded everything. How long is this going to ****ing last.

ReputationRep:
    What sad world.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I think that it shouldn't be banned, I will just carry on listening to some Frank Zappa if you don't mind me...Chart music does nothing for me.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC have made the right decision here. It's not really comparable to the Sex Pistols. That was current for the jubilee at the time and about a figurehead who is still alive.

Thatcher hadn't been in office for about 20 years so it seems somewhat unnecessary. Strikes me as lame and uninspiring. It's too late for protesting her policies and it is just dragging it out for the sake of it whether they feel affected by her or not.

Also, I don't know why anyone thinks the BBC is impartial despite their claims. I don't think they ever have been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    The BBC have made the right decision here. It's not really comparable to the Sex Pistols. That was current for the jubilee at the time and about a figurehead who is still alive.

Thatcher hadn't been in office for about 20 years so it seems somewhat unnecessary. Strikes me as lame and uninspiring. It's too late for protesting her policies and it is just dragging it out for the sake of it whether they feel affected by her or not.
    It is comparable to the censoring of the sex pistols. She hasn't been in power for 20 years, yet we still feel the effects of her policies today. She changed the face of Britain beyond recognition and made it much more greed-focused and obsessed by 1991 than it was in 1979. She actively said there was no such thing as society something Labour never really managed to reverse and the Conservatives are now using as a tactic again with their turning the poor against each other policies.

Also, I don't know why anyone thinks the BBC is impartial despite their claims. I don't think they ever have been?
    They seem to hate on whoever is in power, like most of the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Can I download it from Amazon to make it count?
    Yes! And I speak from experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Done.
    So sad.

Having said that I'm now off to download Ding Dong...

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you like your women dead too...

ReputationRep:
    I find it amusing that people are downloading a satirical song about Thatcher's sex appeal to show their support. I'm sure the punk band behind it wont mind the sudden windfall though! It's a bit like bringing out the Sex Pistols to pay tribute to old Liz. Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)

Yet although she was in office 20 years ago we now have to endure the hundreds of articles praising her and her policies, how she was a good friend to America, how she changed Britain.

If we have to endure although those praising articles then why can't we allow the negative? A song in the chart is no different to an article, she created some policies which deeply affected many lives for many years. And as another has said she drove Britain to being a far more greed oriented, selfishly-motivated country. The song reflects her ruthless political game. It's no different to bad press

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting to see which succeeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Yet although she was in office 20 years ago we now have to endure the hundreds of articles praising her and her policies, how she was a good friend to America, how she changed Britain.

If we have to endure although those praising articles then why can't we allow the negative? A song in the chart is no different to an article, she created some policies which deeply affected many lives for many years. And as another has said she drove Britain to being a far more greed oriented, selfishly-motivated country. The song reflects her ruthless political game. It's no different to bad press
    There is a difference between praising someone just after their death and the debate which can follow later on. I just don't think it's classy to rip into someone the moment they are no longer in this world and able to defend themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    It'll be interesting to see which succeeds.
    Well considering the Thatcherites are likely to have more money to waste it might be close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    There is a difference between praising someone just after their death and the debate which can follow later on. I just don't think it's classy to rip into someone the moment they are no longer in this world and able to defend themselves.
    Well she made her bed, now she's lying in it. She made the decisions she did, so be it. I know it's harsh but as she made thousands of people very aware, life is harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Well she made her bed, now she's lying in it. She made the decisions she did, so be it. I know it's harsh but as she made thousands of people very aware, life is harsh.
    She would have been classy enough to not openly criticise her opposition the day after they died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    She would have been classy enough to not openly criticise her opposition the day after they died.
    Would her followers?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.