Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buy xbox 360 or wait for xbox 720? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you play Xbox 360 games in the 720? I really hope we can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_Bronson)

And won't that encourage piracy for games if friends can borrow discs and install it to their hard drives? O.o
    Who said the disc will work with another console .

ReputationRep:
    I hope none of these rumours about the new xbox are true =/ It sounds absolutely awful if they are...

ReputationRep:
    Hold out until E3 this year. All will become clear then. However (Despite owning an Xbox 360 and preferring it to the PS3) I would recommend looking into getting the PS4 over the 720. If even half the rumours about the 720 are true it is more family oriented and more like a media-hub than a gaming system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Who said the disc will work with another console .
    Well played

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Can you play Xbox 360 games in the 720? I really hope we can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, the XBOX 360 is still selling in relatively healthy numbers; and the 360 games are too popular at the moment just to be abandoned like that.

Like, how the PS3 played both PS2 and PS1 games

ReputationRep:
    I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, the XBOX 360 is still selling in relatively healthy numbers; and the 360 games are too popular at the moment just to be abandoned like that.

But there were rumours going round of no backwards compatibility due to the current consoles having CELL-based processors and the next gen having x86 ones. The only way it is possible is through buying the game from Microsoft/Sony's on-demand store and streaming it. Atleast that's what Sony said about the PS4. I assume it will be the same for Microsoft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaiDuc)
    But there were rumours going round of no backwards compatibility due to the current consoles having CELL-based processors and the next gen having x86 ones. The only way it is possible is through buying the game from Microsoft/Sony's on-demand store and streaming it. Atleast that's what Sony said about the PS4. I assume it will be the same for Microsoft.
    There have been some rumors Microsoft want the PowerPC chip in the new Xbox, and have hired some IBM guys to do that. Buts its seemingly more likely thats for a slimmer version of the 360. Putting that chip inside the new XBox despite advances in fabrication would still likely be too much heat, power and additional cost.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, while your waiting play with your ..

ReputationRep:
    Why not PS4?

ReputationRep:
    When the PS4 was announced, everything bar 8GB of GDDR5 had already been leaked. Microsofts security is even worse to be honest due to the number of leaks.
    I'll tell you why that detail about the PS4 hadn't been leaked, it's because even developers didn't know that until they announced it

If that's the case, what's the point of offering games to be played on a disc - or have I missed the point? :confused: Why not just offer the games as a digital download, if the purpose of the disc is redundant after installation?
    I think that's the point. Getting a game on a disc is really no different from downloading it. I imagine every game will be available to download, but you can buy them on disc instead which allows you to avoid huge downloads, and possibly get it at a cheaper price. It will probably work like Steam where each disc comes with a single use key.

The reason is the different architecture. If the rumours are true, the CPU is x86 where as the X360 was PowerPC. And it may not be powerful enough to emulate it.

Only the very first PS3 models could play PS2 games. And that was because they pretty much shoved a PS2 in there with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'll tell you why that detail about the PS4 hadn't been leaked, it's because even developers didn't know that until they announced it
    Yeah, such a good approach .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

I think that's the point. Getting a game on a disc is really no different from downloading it. I imagine every game will be available to download, but you can buy them on disc instead which allows you to avoid huge downloads, and possibly get it at a cheaper price. It will probably work like Steam where each disc comes with a single use key.

The reason is the different architecture. If the rumours are true, the CPU is x86 where as the X360 was PowerPC. And it may not be powerful enough to emulate it.

Only the very first PS3 models could play PS2 games. And that was because they pretty much shoved a PS2 in there with it.
    The ps2 thing has been debunked. someone got ffxii running on their ps3, by changing the ISO of a playstation classic game to ffxii. The process was complex (it is to change apparently) however it's doable. So in otherwords, there is a perfectly functional playstation emulator on the ps3
    Pm me tommorow when I'm wider awake so I can get the link for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaynii)
    Hi everyone, I just sold my PS2 and I am looking for a replacement console. I'm thinking about the Xbox 360 in 250GB. It's £175 on amazon which is within my budget as I don't want to spend over £200. However, I read online that the Xbox 720 will be out by Xmas this year. Do you think I should wait for that or buy the 360? I'm going to university next year and want to take an Xbox with me, what do you think I should do. Btw I don't play online so will have no need for online gaming, which I have heard rumours that the Xbox 720 is all about online gaming? Should I risk it and pay extra for the 720? Or should I stick with the 360? Thank you for your help x
    Wait for the 720. I have read articles that it will cost around $500 Dollars which will be £325 before VAT so the Xbox could be priced are around £400

ReputationRep:
    Is building your own gaming PC an option? May be slightly more expensive than a 720 initially, but pays off in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    I would just get the 360, you don't sound like a hardcore gamer so why spend the extra or have to wait so long for 720 (just so the price of 360 goes down).

ReputationRep:
    There have been some rumors Microsoft want the PowerPC chip in the new Xbox, and have hired some IBM guys to do that. Buts its seemingly more likely thats for a slimmer version of the 360. Putting that chip inside the new XBox despite advances in fabrication would still likely be too much heat, power and additional cost.
    Yeah. But I think it is stupid for general consumers if there is not any backwards compatibility especially for current pre-order games. My friend was going through a dilemma. He wasn't sure whether to Pre-order the game, Destiny for 360 or not because we don't know when the 720 is actually going to be released. What if he preordered the game for 360 and then the 720 came out at christmas with no backwards compatibility?

No backwards compatibility also means that some people will wait to buy the console after a year maybe. Would you rather keep the previous gen console with 150 games or sell it and buy the next gen console and be stuck with the 5 or so release titles for the first 6 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

Ahh I'm sorry, I thought they were on the same architecture! My apologies

Thanks for clearing up that first section though - Good call.

As for the PowerPC - I know that 360 used it, just like the GameCube did. But I would have thought that if the manufacturers like Microsoft and PS4 used off the shelf components, just like Microsoft did with the original XBOX, would that bring the cost of manufacturing down if they did so?

I know that the original XBOX used a Pentium III processor. Or have manufacturers opted for not using off the shelf components because it could, in theory, encourage piracy because of reverse engineering?

(EDIT: If all an original XBOX was is a styalised computer with it's own operating system, could the games be reverse engineered to be used on a normal Windows PC? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    The ps2 thing has been debunked. someone got ffxii running on their ps3, by changing the ISO of a playstation classic game to ffxii. The process was complex (it is to change apparently) however it's doable. So in otherwords, there is a perfectly functional playstation emulator on the ps3
    Pm me tommorow when I'm wider awake so I can get the link for you
    The original backwards compatible 60GB PS3s did have some PS2 hardware in them, that's a fact. But I suppose since then they have been able to develop a full PS2 emulator. You can get a few PS2 classic games on PSN now, so that's what they must use. I suspect it doesn't run some games very well though.

Ahh I'm sorry, I thought they were on the same architecture! My apologies

Thanks for clearing up that first section though - Good call.

As for the PowerPC - I know that 360 used it, just like the GameCube did. But I would have thought that if the manufacturers like Microsoft and PS4 used off the shelf components, just like Microsoft did with the original XBOX, would that bring the cost of manufacturing down if they did so?

I know that the original XBOX used a Pentium III processor. Or have manufacturers opted for not using off the shelf components because it could, in theory, encourage piracy because of reverse engineering?

(EDIT: If all an original XBOX was is a styalised computer with it's own operating system, could the games be reverse engineered to be used on a normal Windows PC? )
    I've never looked for an Xbox emulator, but I'm sure there is one. Having the same CPU architecture probably does make the job of writing an emulator easier, but there's still far more to it than that.

ReputationRep:

There is more to it, a games console primarily is used for playing games. A PC has to run the OS, other drivers, background things ect. And the games on a console are usually programmed specifically for that CPU and hardware ect.

But last time I checked Emulating Xbox games is possible, not sure about 360.

PS4 and Xbox 720 will virtually have the same hardware if rumors are believed, they will have the same CPU at least.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.