Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    with mine I just drive like I normally would, just have to be extra careful I don't speed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Why?

(Original post by xxm)
    Really? I think they are far less restrictive than people make out.
    Its not really the restrictiveness of them that makes them ****. I suppose they can be good in a sense that they give a chance for people to prove they arent a boy racer like young drivers are made out to be.
    The real problems with them are other things.
    Like the boxes recording false events. For example the box logging that the car was speeding down X road when the car was actually sat on the drive all along. Or speeding along X road when the car was actually being driven below the speed limit along Y road.That is more common than you think. I have heard of quite a few people that this has happened to. And with things like that it can be hard to prove that you are telling the truth.
    And they arent always cheaper than people make out. There have been countless times ive seen/read when people have got a substantially cheaper quote with a regular insurer than they have with the black box. And at renewal time as well, the renewal quote is sky high, even though the driving has been good all year, when you can go to a regular insurer and get it a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Its not really the restrictiveness of them that makes them ****. I suppose they can be good in a sense that they give a chance for people to prove they arent a boy racer like young drivers are made out to be.
    The real problems with them are other things.
    Like the boxes recording false events. For example the box logging that the car was speeding down X road when the car was actually sat on the drive all along. Or speeding along X road when the car was actually being driven below the speed limit along Y road.That is more common than you think. I have heard of quite a few people that this has happened to. And with things like that it can be hard to prove that you are telling the truth.
    And they arent always cheaper than people make out. There have been countless times ive seen/read when people have got a substantially cheaper quote with a regular insurer than they have with the black box. And at renewal time as well, the renewal quote is sky high, even though the driving has been good all year, when you can go to a regular insurer and get it a lot cheaper.
    My insurance was £2000 last year and this year I have a renewal premium of just £490. I think that speaks for itself. I could never have got 2nd years insurance for under £500 on normal insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    My insurance was £2000 last year and this year I have a renewal premium of just £490. I think that speaks for itself. I could never have got 2nd years insurance for under £500 on normal insurance.
    You seem to have been pretty lucky price wise, but there are a lot of people who arent as lucky and cant get insure the box anywhere nearly as cheap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.