Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alix23)
    The school is using the ticket money to get a magician. What?

I'm not going to get a big dress, but people are taking it so seriously there is such a pressure to get a formal dress. I don't have anything else I could wear anyway though.
    Well, if you are really not feeling the prom then maybe there it's not worth going. If you think you are not going to enjoy it then you probably won't be in the mind frame on the night to enjoy it.
    Even though mine was a good night, in the end it was just a posh party and you'll have plenty more parties to come!

ReputationRep:
    I still think you should go but definitely keep your costs cheap! I and my friends spent way to much money on our outfits and transport and in the end we didn't see the point. It was a nice formal occasion and nice for an hour to take photos for everyone but after that all we wanted was the after party! Maybe arrive, show your face then go home and get your after-party outfit on and pre-drink etc?

Either way enjoy it whilst you can as you will remember it either way!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The only reason I went to mine was because my great grandmother was dying and she told me she wanted me to go.

Had that not been the case, there is no chance I would have went.

ReputationRep:
    Even if I get a cheap dress, it'll still be at least £40. I don't have any shoes that would do, so I'd have to get those as well for at least £30.
    Get classic things you can wear again! I'm wearing the shoes I bought for my year 11 prom (5 years ago) to a ball at my university in May and I've worn the dress a good few times: get something you can dress up or down and you can wear it with different accessories for all kinds of events.

ReputationRep:
    wait until your year 13 prom. It'll be so much better because schools usually make so much of a bigger deal of it. And that will be a good use of your money.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to my prom and everyone told me I'd regret it but I really don't, especially after hearing how much people spent since all the little things really add up.

ReputationRep:
    I went to both my Year 11 and Year 13 ones, neither of which were particularly exciting and both were expensive. If you don't go, you're really not missing out on anything, you can always meet up with your friends later and save the money for something else.

ReputationRep:
    never went to my year 11 prom and to be honest from what i heard of it afterwards i'm glad i didn't go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanbolton94)
    I still think you should go but definitely keep your costs cheap! I and my friends spent way to much money on our outfits and transport and in the end we didn't see the point. It was a nice formal occasion and nice for an hour to take photos for everyone but after that all we wanted was the after party! Maybe arrive, show your face then go home and get your after-party outfit on and pre-drink etc?

Either way enjoy it whilst you can as you will remember it either way!
    This is a nice idea, but it would still require buying a ticket and 2 (!) dresses. Money is the main issue so this would be kinda pointless

ReputationRep:
    Don't think I even got invited to my prom.

Hahaha.

Unfortunately I went to a snobbery private school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting so stressed out about my year 11 prom, which is at the end of June, and I don't really know if I want to go.
    It doesn't really sound very fun. I'm not really into getting all dressed up and I won't know any of the boys going (our partner school). I wouldn't mind so much excpet that it's all so expensive! My parents are happy to pay for most of it, but then they won't help me out with other stuff I'm doing this summer, so it will cost me that same. It just doesn't seem worth it for the effort and money.
    On the other hand, I'm moving schools so this will be my last chance to see a lot of people. I also feel like I have to go, just because everyone does. (I'm still going to an anti/after-prom party so won't be at home all night).

I don't know whether it's worth it. Any advice or your experiences of prom would really help

EDIT: About the leaving thing, this is the last time I'll see most of my year, but not my friends. I'm having a big leaving party/picnic and a smaller party for my birthday which is at the end of the summer.
    Prom is rubbish. It's basically like going to your grandparents party. Everyone pretends to have fun dancing to stuff like the macarena and other party songs from ancient times.

In fact, remember those Christmas parties you used to have when you were in Year 2? It's exactly the same but people are dressed in suits and dresses and you don't get to see Santa after.

The one good thing is it marks the end of having to put up with people you've hated for the last 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    I went to my yr 11 prom and had a great time. I was going to go to my yr 13 one but recently decided not to. Went to a new school for A levels as my old one didn't have a sixth form and I haven't really felt much of a connection to it. After going to the one in yr 11 and spending quite a lot of money I've come to realise that it isn't really worth it, it only lasts a few hours!

I'm going to see my group of friends over the summer anyway and others who left at the end of yr 12. I'm not really going to miss the majority of my year group tbh and I'm looking forward to uni

ReputationRep:
    At my prom everyone just got really drunk before going in, it got worse and worse as we got less and less drunk:/

ReputationRep:
    I've kinda gathered that prom generally sucks. Is it still worth going, just because everyone does?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to mine. I don't do dresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Don't think I even got invited to my prom.

Hahaha.

Unfortunately I went to a snobbery private school.
    I invite you to come as my +1 to my schools prom next year :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't go to my year 11 prom, and I won't be going to the year 13 one either!

Social awkwardness, shyness, self consciousness, embarrassment ... are just some of the reasons I didn't go. The dressing up as well ... I wouldn't have looked nice. Everyone would have stared at me. And the meal! Lol, I'm the pickiest eater ever. Oh and the photos. No thank you

I would have spent the whole evening cringing to immense levels.

I sort of wished I had gone, because apparently it was quite good and I hate being left out ... but nah. I wouldn't have enjoyed it AT ALL. It's really not my thing! I'd so much rather stay at home and watch a box set!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting so stressed out about my year 11 prom, which is at the end of June, and I don't really know if I want to go.
    It doesn't really sound very fun. I'm not really into getting all dressed up and I won't know any of the boys going (our partner school). I wouldn't mind so much excpet that it's all so expensive! My parents are happy to pay for most of it, but then they won't help me out with other stuff I'm doing this summer, so it will cost me that same. It just doesn't seem worth it for the effort and money.
    On the other hand, I'm moving schools so this will be my last chance to see a lot of people. I also feel like I have to go, just because everyone does. (I'm still going to an anti/after-prom party so won't be at home all night).

I don't know whether it's worth it. Any advice or your experiences of prom would really help

EDIT: About the leaving thing, this is the last time I'll see most of my year, but not my friends. I'm having a big leaving party/picnic and a smaller party for my birthday which is at the end of the summer.
    "So expensive" - really? I don't think it has to be! What do you think your prom is going to cost you? Because I know some people spend silly amounts of money on fancy dresses and limousines and what-not, which is needless. You can easily get a nice outfit for under £50, that you can wear again, and if you share transport with a group of friends you can cut the cost down.

Of course you don't "have" to go - it's your choice. But, although it's huuuugely over-rated, it is still a nice event. Dress up, have a laugh, nice food, see all your friends... And if you're going to the after-party anyway, then it seems a bit odd not to go to the actual prom.

My year 11 prom was OK - loved getting ready with my friends and getting our pictures done and all that, but once we got inside, it was a bit of an anti-climax. It's definitely not worth the hype! :lol: But it was still worth going, it was still good fun.

So yeah - as a general rule and summary to this post: proms are fun, but they're over-rated.

ReputationRep:
    watch this film for the ultimate in prom stress:

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've kinda gathered that prom generally sucks. Is it still worth going, just because everyone does?
    Personally I had a great time at mine (and only spent ~£70 in total), but if you're stressing so much about it then just don't go... You're going to an after-prom party, and will still see your friends anyway, so what's the point? Prom was just a glorified party with strange food, no alcohol, and a lot of girls looking like ridiculous neon marshmallows.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.