Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very confused about Margaret Thatcher watch

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher was a wet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    The last bit is still debatable, If the criticism was accurate then why does she continually get top billing on best PM polls?
    maybe people don't actually mind very much. But she failed to create the more generous society she expected and at the time she in power she was criticised for creating a more selfish society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presenttime)
    Perhaps you are right, but we have the longest working hours in Europe, France has a 35 hour working week and a bigger GDP than the UK. So although I am neutral in regards to Thatcher, the French route seems better.
    Depends on whether you use PPP adjusted figures or not.

She was powerful and strong-minded and intelligent. She got her way in Europe, and in many other occasions. She worked towards the future, and was hugely independent. But that was why she screwed up.

Most of our industry now is what it is because or privatisation during Thatchers term. But then again, she progressed too quickly and made a lot of people lose their jobs, she seemed to think more of the country and a whole, rather than how individual people survived.

Also, no-one really had a say whilst she was in power. Thatcher done what she wanted, and would happily ignore even her own party, if she pleased.

Anyways, we need someone with her personality (powerful and able to make the EU back up a bit), but just not any of the rest of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    maybe people don't actually mind very much. But she failed to create the more generous society she expected and at the time she in power she was criticised for creating a more selfish society.
    I know my family firmly entrenched in a working class background benefitted. I had options open to me that my parents could only dream about such as better education, healthcare, improved standard of living, longer life expectancy.

I don't know about the selfish society bit. It tends to be my parents generation and above who have the right to talk about that. But people often look back with fondness to a simpler time that was the past.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.