Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your own race invading your home country, what would you do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    I said its what you should do. I didn't say it would be the easiest thing to do.
    the last sentence was for the other user, not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrtricks)
    In no world are we going to be supporting the Korea conflict with boots on the ground, there's no will for us to engage in conflict within politics. The Korean peninsular war and Vietnam were ultimately failures because of their background, British leaders (political & military) wont repeat these events. Another media backlash such as those of Iraq wouldn't help, it's not the Falklands. Anyway Britain's impact would be minimal & unneeded considering if the US was involved. Plus we have no territorial interest in east asia we left their 100 years ago, well our interest did.
    Even though I agree, you can never say never. We followed the US to invade Iraq although that was for another reason, we supported the rebels against Gaddafi. But suppose you can say theres oil behind both those invasions and there's nothing for us invading North Korea. And actually, Hong Kong was our colony just 16 years ago. And technically, we had only leased the New Territories which is about 70% of the total land of Hong Kong today. We could've kept Kowloon and HK Island which are the most developed parts anyways, but it was impractical to split the islands so there was little point in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd leave the nutters to it and carry on with what I was doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    the last sentence was for the other user, not you.
    Oh ok. Which bit was for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyla65)
    Hi everyone, I'm a second generation Chinese born and bred here in the UK. I was asked by my brother what would I do if China invaded the UK and who would I fight for. I told him I would join the British army straight away and fight for and defend my home country, the UK. But my parents and brother think I'm wrong and naive for thinking that. Whilst they think its good that I'm loyal and want to stay in the UK, they say I am Chinese in the end and if China invaded the UK I wouldn't be welcomed by our nation in the UK and would've betrayed my own race so I wouldn't be welcomed in China. But I think, If I'm willing to fight for my country the UK and to protect my home land and its people then it would be respected. Also to me, the UK is my home and where I grew up. I would give up my life to fight for our freedom but apparently because I'm Chinese by appearance the locals wouldn't care less. Personally, apart from my appearance I think I'm as British as anyone else here. I don't think we should be separated by race, and nationality is more important.

A comparison I would make for this argument is that the UK is my foster parent who's cared for me since I was born and China is just my biological parents who has done nothing for me since I was born. If they got in a fight, I would sure help my foster dad. My biological family would think I'm wrong, but I don't care what they think. It was my foster parent who gave me all this and I should defend them.

What do you guys think? What would you do in you were in a similar situation?
    Welcome to the joys of being mixed race, situations like this appear all the time :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Oh ok. Which bit was for me?
    my bad, i thought you were the op, nevermind >.<

but with regards to your post, does this not involve scenarios such as doing the right thing for the wrong reasons and doing the wrong thing for the right reasons?

if so, then regardless of which option above you choose, you cant really say you should do it

ReputationRep:
    Fight for my homeland, race means nothing to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd calmly hand over my pipe and my debit card (I'm Jamaican/Nigerian - yay for stereotypes!) and walk away into the abyss, not participating for any side.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm a second generation Chinese born and bred here in the UK. I was asked by my brother what would I do if China invaded the UK and who would I fight for. I told him I would join the British army straight away and fight for and defend my home country, the UK. But my parents and brother think I'm wrong and naive for thinking that. Whilst they think its good that I'm loyal and want to stay in the UK, they say I am Chinese in the end and if China invaded the UK I wouldn't be welcomed by our nation in the UK and would've betrayed my own race so I wouldn't be welcomed in China. But I think, If I'm willing to fight for my country the UK and to protect my home land and its people then it would be respected. Also to me, the UK is my home and where I grew up. I would give up my life to fight for our freedom but apparently because I'm Chinese by appearance the locals wouldn't care less. Personally, apart from my appearance I think I'm as British as anyone else here. I don't think we should be separated by race, and nationality is more important.

A comparison I would make for this argument is that the UK is my foster parent who's cared for me since I was born and China is just my biological parents who has done nothing for me since I was born. If they got in a fight, I would sure help my foster dad. My biological family would think I'm wrong, but I don't care what they think. It was my foster parent who gave me all this and I should defend them.

What do you guys think? What would you do in you were in a similar situation?
    You and you're family are more than welcome into Great Britain, if you wish to contribute to the benefit of the state and society as a whole. You're biological family should realise that if they have our back, then we have theirs, no matter what colour or creed are.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I agree, you can never say never. We followed the US to invade Iraq although that was for another reason, we supported the rebels against Gaddafi. But suppose you can say theres oil behind both those invasions and there's nothing for us invading North Korea. And actually, Hong Kong was our colony just 16 years ago. And technically, we had only leased the New Territories which is about 70% of the total land of Hong Kong today. We could've kept Kowloon and HK Island which are the most developed parts anyways, but it was impractical to split the islands so there was little point in doing so.
    We could of.... but China have such a big influence on their government compared even to when we controlled the territory. Plus we had little influence on our neighbours in that region and there isn't a large amount of Brits their like Gibraltar or business links

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I'd side with whoever was fighting against the aggressor. I'm not patriotic in the slightest, I'd just want to restore peace.
    I understand what you mean. I wouldn't sign myself up to the army if we invaded China along with say the US being the aggressor for resources or any obscure reasons. I would probably join some anti-war peace protests instead. But if China did invade us being the aggressor, I would defend my homeland the UK without second thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    OP, it's interesting to review the First and Second World Wars. In Britain and indeed, in the States, there was a lot of anti-German feeling, especially against in Britain - so much so, that what we know as the House of Windsor today, actually held the surname of Battenburg but was subsequently changed to Mountbatten in the early 1900s due to rising anti-German sentiment during the First World War. What's more, during both wars, there was discrimination against Germans both in the United States and the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    You and you're family are more than welcome into Great Britain, if you wish to contribute to the benefit of the state and society as a whole. You're biological family should realise that if they have our back, then we have theirs, no matter what colour or creed are.
    LOL, he was born and bred here. He's as much British as I am or you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    Welcome to the joys of being mixed race, situations like this appear all the time :cool:
    But where were you born and bred? If Turkey invaded Britain, should Boris Johnson side with the Turkish just because he is of direct Turkish ancestry? Should Kwazi Kwarteng MP of the Conservative Party defect to Ghana just because he is of direct Ghanaian ancestry?

Think about it. If you're lost abroad in some random foreign country, which embassy will you go to and will they be able to help you? In other words, if Boris Johnson went to the Turkish Embassy in X country asking for help to return to Britain, they'd laugh him out of the building, saying "Just because you're descended from Turks means nothing! Where are your papers? You're not even a citizen! You have nothing to do with Turkey apart from your genetic heritage!" So, Boris would have to trot on further to the British embassy, where they'd be on hand to help a fellow citizen.

ReputationRep:
    I would always stay loyal to Israel, no matter what. Please do not neg me for stating the truth as this is what I would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    But where were you born and bred? If Turkey invaded Britain, should Boris Johnson side with the Turkish just because he is of direct Turkish ancestry? Should Kwazi Kwarteng MP of the Conservative Party defect to Ghana just because he is of direct Ghanaian ancestry?

Think about it. If you're lost abroad in some random foreign country, which embassy will you go to and will they be able to help you? In other words, if Boris Johnson went to the Turkish Embassy in X country asking for help to return to Britain, they'd laugh him out of the building, saying "Just because you're descended from Turks means nothing! Where are your papers? You're not even a citizen! You have nothing to do with Turkey apart from your genetic heritage!" So, Boris would have to trot on further to the British embassy, where they'd be on hand to help a fellow citizen.
    In response to your question, the United Kingdom 100000% No doubt. I meant it in the fact that With my Mum's side being all Sikhs and my Dad's side being all Catholics, there can be some very thorny subjects in how I was raised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evie Ninnenbaum)
    I would always stay loyal to Israel, no matter what. Please do not neg me for stating the truth as this is what I would do.
    Then why don't you live there? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumstances tbh. If one of the countries was fighting for something I don't believe in then it'd be tough to fight for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Then why don't you live there? :holmes:
    I do, I'm only studying at university here. Large part of my family has settled in the UK and the USA after WWII and I wanted to experience life far and away from home. It's good but Israel is really where I belong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evie Ninnenbaum)
    I do, I'm only studying at university here. Large part of my family has settled in the UK and the USA after WWII and I wanted to experience life far and away from home. It's good but Israel is really where I belong.
    OK, I understand, fair enough. If you were a British citizen, on the other hand, I wouldn't be so understanding.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.