Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminists sabotage yet another University talk on men's equality Watch

ReputationRep:
    Disgraceful behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    I think the amazingathiest did a video on the red head lol. How pathetic I never thought people never acted like tumblr feminists in real life at least

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic that they are 'feminists' yet most of them look, walk, talk and act like men :confused:

It is 'them' 'feminists' that are degrading to women.

Kudos to the police for being professional, if I put my hand on my heart I honestly wouldn't be able to physically restrain myself when being spoken to like that.

Also, fair play to the girls' replies to this thread so far. It's nice to see that they too look down on this behavior and don't condone it as a way of promoting feminism. Girls of TSR, here's a free hug for all of you: *hug*

Practice what you preach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Feminism is advocating for women's rights, which have been severely lagging behind those of men for hundreds of years.

It's irritating, the genuine, level-headed advocates actually fighting for a good cause get their reputation ruined by these nutjobs. It's no wonder feminism is made out to be a bad thing these days.
    Haha good one.

If anything women now have it easier than men (in this country and Canada at least)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    As a feminist, I completely agree. No single gender has the monopoly on being oppressed, and sexism should always be challenged, no matter who it is perpetuated by.
    Gratz. I've been online a lot and I seldom hear people say that.

Also the amazing athiest video

Stuff like this reminds me of that woman who got that guy fired cause he made a dongle joke. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    That last video as well showed particularly distasteful behaviour. Harassing someone for just wanting to go in and listen and calling him a rape apologist and being complete dicks to the police. No call for it whatsoever. If they did have a valid argument it was negated when they decided to act like ****ing turds.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I find it ironic that they are 'feminists' yet most of them look, walk, talk and act like men :confused:

It is 'them' 'feminists' that are degrading to women.

Kudos to the police for being professional, if I put my hand on my heart I honestly wouldn't be able to physically restrain myself when being spoken to like that.

Also, fair play to the girls' replies to this thread so far. It's nice to see that they too look down on this behavior and don't condone it as a way of promoting feminism. Girls of TSR, here's a free hug for all of you: *hug*

Practice what you preach.
    If I'd be a police officer there, I might have had to "accidentally" trip a couple of them. Seriously, they were all acting like complete *****es.

Have a hug right back!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by bottled)
    Gratz. I've been online a lot and I seldom hear people say that.

Also the amazing athiest video

Stuff like this reminds me of that woman who got that guy fired cause he made a dongle joke. Seriously.
    It can be difficult, especially online. I think a lot of people get too caught up in defending their opinions to actually consider how idiotic they sound. Whereas at the end of the day, gender equality should be the aim of everyone, regardless of who they actually are.

I got really pissed off with a "feminist"(read: man hater) who told me that my male friends can't support feminism, and that they're clearing oppressing me. I was like :eyeball:

That dongle woman was such a cow. Clearly couldn't take a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I do not support or defend the way in which the protesters in that video were behaving in fact I abhor their behaviour

I have looked up some information on warren Farrell and can see why they were protesting

The sad thing is that their message was lost because their behaviour was so awful

What is also sad is that the potentially positive message that warren Farrell has regarding equality for all is also lost because of his other statements about incest and date rape

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeman560)
    Haha good one.

If anything women now have it easier than men (in this country and Canada at least)
    The delusion is strong in this one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

I have looked up some information on warren Farrell and can see why they were protesting
    I can't. Although I'm not very familiar with him, everything I've read seems to suggest he is a strong supporter of equal rights, and has the background and track record to prove it.

What is also sad is that the potentially positive message that warren Farrell has regarding equality for all is also lost because of his other statements about incest and date rape
    I think because he did not try to sugar coat, or avoid the issues of incest and date rape, that his quotes (when taken out of context and read with an accusing mind) appear very controversial and sickening.

His views on incest are certainly controversial, but so are any who suggests that it is not immediately a bad thing. He states that in many cases it can be good others it can be bad, and appears to have statistics which back this up.

His comments on date rape seemed perfectly rational, true and insightful as well. For a great deal of time (and still today), the whole "woman wanting the man but denying it" was seen as a romantic and "exciting" encounter.

ReputationRep:
    What a surprise: there are crazy people in the feminist movement! There are crazy people in just about every group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    And what information did you find exactly?
    Well I looked up the key issue they were referring to in the protest and found his views on "date rape" controversial to say the least ... Looking a bit further brought up some rather odd views on incest

So as I say I can see the basis of their protest

Alongside this I read quite a lot of positive stuff regarding gender equality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)

His views on incest are certainly controversial, but so are any who suggests that it is not immediately a bad thing. He states that in many cases it can be good others it can be bad, and appears to have statistics which back this up.

His comments on date rape seemed perfectly rational, true and insightful as well. For a great deal of time (and still today), the whole "woman wanting the man but denying it" was seen as a romantic and "exciting" encounter.
    I could not find anything that backed up his view that incest was a good thing

The issue of date rape being tied up with "romantic fantasy" regarding rape is very controversial IMO

ReputationRep:
    The issue of date rape being tied up with "romantic fantasy" regarding rape is very controversial IMO
    I cant find anything about that, do you have a link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    I cant find anything about that, do you have a link?
    http://i.imgur.com/cwSoc.png ... Sorry it is a link from a link

At the change of page

Don't get me wrong ... I believe that we should all take responsibility for our actions

This seems to suggest that romantic novels show that a woman wants to be raped ... The blurring of the issue of date rape is not good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeman560)
    Feminism is the pursuit of gender equality by only focusing on the issues of one gender. ****ing idiots.
    Amazing Atheist is good on Youtube isn't he?

ReputationRep:
    I could not find anything that backed up his view that incest was a good thing

I've not seen the date rape stuff, but as regards the incest, I think it's typical moral outrage exploding beyond logic.

If we boil down what he's saying it comes to, 'Incest isn't always bad, but sometimes it can be. Some of the bad experiences and trauma may be exacerbated by constantly telling 'victims' that they are victims, that they've been through trauma, that what they did was wrong etc.'

Now of course, I can see why some of that makes people recoil, but it's grounded in logic. If a girl has a comfortable sexual relationship with her father and was fine with that, until she was told 'No! That's wrong! What you're doing is sick! Your father is sick and now you're damaged! You're broken!' Then obviously even where the experience wasn't wholly negative for them, it will become negative.

Now the issue I suppose, comes from the fact people will see this as some sort of defense of the act on the part of the father, which it does not have to be, it's merely an examination of the situation. As it is, Farrell has made it clear that he in no way advocates for or defends being sexual with children that do not understand the implications, it's a form of abuse as it would be if it were anyone else's child. What he's rather saying is that incest does not have to be a negative experience in the same way rape does. Incest could be done in a loving and caring way. Now obviously, because of the context of contemporary incest it is often interpreted as child abuse, which of course noone woiuld advocate. It's a difficult and very emotive issue to explore.

Taken out of context, his quotes can be twisted to seem to be a defense of child abuse, but that's not what they were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I've not seen the date rape stuff, but as regards the incest, I think it's typical moral outrage exploding beyond logic.

If we boil down what he's saying it comes to, 'Incest isn't always bad, but sometimes it can be. Some of the bad experiences and trauma may be exacerbated by constantly telling 'victims' that they are victims, that they've been through trauma, that what they did was wrong etc.'

Now of course, I can see why some of that makes people recoil, but it's grounded in logic. If a girl has a comfortable sexual relationship with her father and was fine with that, until she was told 'No! That's wrong! What you're doing is sick! Your father is sick and now you're damaged! You're broken!' Then obviously even where the experience wasn't wholly negative for them, it will become negative.

Now the issue I suppose, comes from the fact people will see this as some sort of defense of the act on the part of the father, which it does not have to be, it's merely an examination of the situation. As it is, Farrell has made it clear that he in no way advocates for or defends being sexual with children that do not understand the implications, it's a form of abuse as it would be if it were anyone else's child. What he's rather saying is that incest does not have to be a negative experience in the same way rape does. Incest could be done in a loving and caring way. Now obviously, because of the context of contemporary incest it is often interpreted as child abuse, which of course noone woiuld advocate. It's a difficult and very emotive issue to explore.

Taken out of context, his quotes can be twisted to seem to be a defense of child abuse, but that's not what they were.
    Well I still consider this to be an odd stand point ... If it were talking about incest between children or teens I could understand but he specifically refers to father daughter incest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Feminism is advocating for women's rights, which have been severely lagging behind those of men for hundreds of years.

It's irritating, the genuine, level-headed advocates actually fighting for a good cause get their reputation ruined by these nutjobs. It's no wonder feminism is made out to be a bad thing these days.
    You're more than welcome to join humanists/egalitarians.

Won't have to encounter these nutjobs a day longer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.