Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    Oh really?! Where are you from? I'm wanting to go to Shanghai too!!! But to be honest I'd be so grateful to get to anywhere in china at the moment, all I think about is how I can make it happen!!! At the moment, I really don't know. I can't find any placements that you don't have to pay like £700 or more for, which is horrendous. I wanted a placement because of the security primarily.. I guess china isn't the safest place to be alone in the world! But I'm so fed up of waiting around to find someone who'll come with me so ill probably make an impulse trip! What are your plans?! And are you scared about going?!
    I'm Teesside uni right now, but finish in a month Right now nothing is definite for me, there are some people coming to the uni to talk about teaching English in China, and they offer placements/full jobs apparently, so going to see what that is about. If it's no good then I'm waiting on a friend to see if he's going to come for a month with me when he is off work, and if he's not I don't know I really want to go, the only thing about going alone is not speaking any of the language/knowing anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    Ahhh man okay, do you think there aren't many westerners because where you are isn't a tourist hotspot? How are you enjoying the food?! And also do you feel safe when walking around on your own?
    No, where I was when posting that was Shenzhen which is on the border with HK it is a massive modern city still rarely any westeners my new city with my school is "small" by chinese standards but still massive by my small town N.Irish standards. I have seen no westeners bar other teachers who I live with although I have talked to 1 chinese guy in the park who speaks very good english they love to talk to us to polish up their English. Chinese people are very friendly if you engage them by saying hello etc. The food is AMAZING, although it helps to have a translater at times our boss we always call him up and get him to order if they have no pictures to point to etc.

I always feel safe, China is the safest country in the world in regards to violence and crime (Roads are crazy but in a good way I like it, they have no road rules its everything goes we have electric bikes to get around and it gets crazy). I feel more safe here than I did in Northern Ireland, the police take no **** from people but like I said Chinese people are so nice so unless you punch someone in the face you will be fine.

Thankfully I am in a flat with other teachers from England etc so I don't feel alone also everyone at the school office speaks some level of English you will need someone to talk to because as I say finding someone who speaks English well enough for a coversation outside the company/school/teachers is near impossible but if you do find someone they become your best friends very fast.

Do some research, think it through and be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Good luck buddy.

ReputationRep:
    have you thought about being a student yourself in china and learning Chinese at a university or school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow_Watermelon)
    have you thought about being a student yourself in china and learning Chinese at a university or school.
    Yes, I looked into it but because of cost and stuff it is just easier to learn from living here and trying to speak to real people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevenishungover)
    Yes, I looked into it but because of cost and stuff it is just easier to learn from living here and trying to speak to real people.
    for people who don't want to teach its a good idea my line of thinking is that it gets you a long visa and something to do for that length of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow_Watermelon)
    for people who don't want to teach its a good idea my line of thinking is that it gets you a long visa and something to do for that length of time.
    Oh yea that sounds like a good idea I was just meaning for me personally you will probably learn better outside the classroom but go for it man. Coming to China has been the greatest decision of my life and I have only been here 8 days! Just think it through and be very open minded at it will be the greatest adventure of your life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.