Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    I've dated an Asian girl who's parents forbid her dating a white guy. I know plenty of staff in the hospital I work in who are English and don't like Poles or Idian and don't like Pakistanis or are English who don't like Muslims or vice versa...
    Thats bloody startling, if I went into a hospital and felt mistreated because of my religion I would feel really uneasy about it.

I wouldnt just stand there. How can someone justify the hate towards the whole religion on actions of a very few.

Nevertheless, I hope the "English" people treat people who are Muslims fairly, I know a large proportion of doctors and nurses are ethnics anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It will never die.

ReputationRep:
    English who don't like Muslims or vice versa...
    Muslim is a religion, not a race.

I agree with what you said. I must say as an Asian boy, my parents don't mind who I marry. I'm currently going out with a white girl for the past year or so. My happiness is more important to them. Times have changed, parents should adapt to this.

P.S I'm not Muslim. Just so there's no confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangamaan)
    Thats bloody startling, if I went into a hospital and felt mistreated because of my religion I would feel really uneasy about it.

I wouldnt just stand there. How can someone justify the hate towards the whole religion on actions of a very few.

Nevertheless, I hope the "English" people treat people who are Muslims fairly, I know a large proportion of doctors and nurses are ethnics anyway.
    It's not like they actively mistreat them. They just ***** about them. But nurses ***** about most patients :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_In)
    Muslim is a religion, not a race.

I agree with what you said. I must say as an Asian boy, my parents don't mind who I marry. I'm currently going out with a white girl for the past year or so. My happiness is more important to them. Times have changed, parents should adapt to this.

P.S I'm not Muslim. Just so there's no confusion.
    Yeh I know. Prejudice towards religion and racism are often lumped in together though.

And parents should! I just wish they all do!

ReputationRep:
    It's not like they actively mistreat them. They just ***** about them. But nurses ***** about most patients :ahee:
    LOL! - what do they say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangamaan)
    LOL! - what do they say?
    Usually just complain when patients are rude to them. And rightly so!

ReputationRep:
    A million times yes!
    This! It' far from dead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    The term ethnic minority is flawed as 8% of the world's population is white so, who is the real "minority".
    The term ethnic minority refers to the the ethnic group that is the minority within a certain demographic, not the whole world. So in England and most (all? I dunno) western countries, the term is rightly applied.

Racism comes in different forms and there is an attitude among many people who feel persecuted because of efforts to reduce this racism. For example, whenever people say "don't forget their is racism against white people too" I have to roll my eyes. Of course, there IS racism towards white people but the effects are not as pernicious or institutionalized as racism towards minorities. In the same way that you wouldn't say that a fat person being called 'fatty' is as bad as an Asian walking down the street and hearing the p word hurled at him by some skinheads, a white person being called cracker or whitey or whatever isn't as damaging as a black guy being called the n bomb.
    I'm not having a go at white people, I am half white and my entire social group is pretty much white, but when you are the majority then it is pretty difficult to be persecuted on the grounds of the very thing that makes you a part of that majority.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.