Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Inception exceptionally overated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was alright, to be fair it only has a 74 on metacritic anyway so its not that highly rated.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    For what Inception should have been, try Primer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    It's an actually challenging film - I still don't understand it fully…

ReputationRep:
    I actually have to say I have quite a Leo obsession at the minute, so of course I liked the film

I don't think it's overrated, more that it applies to some peoples tastes more than others, I quite like the idea of putting an idea into someones dreams, I'm sure it won't be beyond the realms of possibility in the future!

ReputationRep:
    It made me question my existence, how do i know im not dreaming now? Indeed, i will never be able to tell for sure.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    It made me question my existence, how do i know im not dreaming now? Indeed, i will never be able to tell for sure.
    Lucid dreaming is pretty well-studied. From my current level of reality (if you insist on positing that I am currently dreaming), if I go to sleep there are certain things I can do during my dreams that consistently give different results to real life. For example, your image in a mirror often looks different in some way; you usually have too many fingers, if you stop and count them; you can't see your nose out of the corners of your eyes; you don't feel the need to breathe if you pinch your nose; when you jump you often go much higher than you "should"; text is illegible or changes when you look at it again (it's very strange sometimes, text can be written in English and just be completely incomprehensible in a way that I've never experienced anywhere else); the time on a clock often doesn't make sense or is clearly wrong (think 31:79 on a 24-hr clock, or three in the afternoon when it's nighttime). There are more, but these are the only ones I've actually experienced that I remember; in practice, the main ones I use are "fingers" and "mirror".

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Especially considering it's just the matrix with a couple of cheap twists

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's over rated. It has a fair few plot holes and Nolan has an inability to direct strong female character (usually).

Don't get me wrong; it's a good film. Just not to the extent everyone makes it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Nolan's best are Batman films. Others I did not like too much. If you want my opinion, best films ever made were "American Beauty" and "Schindler's List".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    The whole idea of a machine making it possible for dreams to be shared is stupid enough. But the timing stuff, the "kick"...all of it seems quite stupid to be honest. The timing isn't even kept true to how long they are supposed to be on each level.

The story itself is dumb too, couldn't he just fly his kids to Paris or wherever he was? The acting was dreadful. I think people only like this movie because they are fanboys/fangirls of Nolan, who is also heavily overrated.
    I agree - it is overrated, but not for the reasons that you stated.

In fact, personally, it is not that it was overrated, but I just found it really bad - so bad, in fact, that I could barely get past thirty minutes of the film. Hence, 'til this day, I still have not been able to watch the entire film. Maybe one of these days... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterd)
    I thought it was a pretty good movie

I liked the storyline but the indecisive ending was a bummer though
    Have a read

http://www.cracked.com/article_20347...better_p2.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentas)
    Nolan's best are Batman films.
    The Dark Knight is just great, the other two parts are on level too.

But for me it has to be The Prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Not overrated at all. Its rating is what I'd say it's rated. 8.6/10 or something.

ReputationRep:
    My whole life was a lie.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for posting that link!
    Genuinely a great read. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I am not a fan of Chris Nolan; I find him arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    The acting was great in my opinion, and you can't say no to the dramatic soundtrack and camera angles.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the basics were full of holes. People go "mehhh, it's fiction" but that isn't the point. It's science fiction - if you can't make it sound plausible, don't try to explain it. The Matrix may have been fictional, but it was all plausible. That's what made it so effective.

ReputationRep:
    However good something is there are always going to be people who go "OMG! This is so overrated!"

ReputationRep:
    A lot better than the stream of crap coming out of Hollywood nowadays. Anything can be overrated.

ReputationRep:
    it was a good film, although i was disappointed when all my peers made out it was ridiculously hard to understand, and felt kind of robbed when it was actually not particularly hard to get at all
    limitless is a personal favourite atm, much better thriller than inception

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.