Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tory propaganda funeral on Wednesday watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It is exactly those things.

It was plotted for years by Mrs T, she wanted to make sure that the maximum political capital was gained for her side on her death.

The party in government is not entitled to use government money to hold a piece of triumphalism over such a controversial figure in this way just to try to associate themselves with her. Previous governments have not done so. Winston Churchill was an exception because of the sheer magnitude of the Second World War.

Listening to Tories trying to compare her with Churchill is frankly sickening. This funeral is a crystal clear attempt to associate the two in the public mind. The political aim is to justify austerity and associate the policies caused by the financial crisis with the policies of Thatcherism.

It's a political stunt from start to finish.
    If people are stupid enough to start voting Tory because of a funeral (wtf?) then I seriously despair for the future of this country.

I repeat, there is no conspiracy, nor is there evidence of a conspiracy. You would have to be retarded to equate Thatcher with Churchill. I'm not aware of any Tories who have done that. They may have said she's the most significant PM since Churchill (which is not the same thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    This is actually hopefully going to be true, if you take Thatcher to be the ultimate personification to being 'Tory' - which she isn't. It says alot that even now her own party realise how badly she broke the country. Her policies were wrong, there's no two ways about it, and I find it funny that you didn't respond to me highlighting to you in my other thread that the UKIP hate Thatcher and her policies, she's the main reason for every policy your beloved party has. Food for thought.
    I couldn't see a single link between anything you claimed and reality, so I didn't bother. I still can't, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    You really think a private family ceremony wouldn't have incurred costs to the public purse? Security fees would have guaranteed that it was pricey no matter how many people went.

And she was on record as not wanting an event on such a scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    If people are stupid enough to start voting Tory because of a funeral (wtf?) then I seriously despair for the future of this country.

I repeat, there is no conspiracy, nor is there evidence of a conspiracy. You would have to be retarded to equate Thatcher with Churchill. I'm not aware of any Tories who have done that. They may have said she's the most significant PM since Churchill (which is not the same thing).
    They are giving her the same level of funeral honours (apart from the title of the funeral) as WSC, so they ARE equating her with Churchill.

Complete Tory bull basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You really think a private family ceremony wouldn't have incurred costs to the public purse? Security fees would have guaranteed that it was pricey no matter how many people went.

And she was on record as not wanting an event on such a scale.
    A number of Tories, including Maude, who serves on True Blue (interesting name!), are saying that this is all designed to conform with her wishes, as if she was in a unilateral position to decide she could have a national state funeral (in all but name) and incur huge cost for it! Clearly her power continued after she 'resigned'!

ReputationRep:
    Home! The Thatcherites are too many!

Aye, protest and you may get arrested. Stay home, and you won't... though you'll watch the Tories wreck the economy...and unemployed, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell the Tories, that they may take our economy, but they'll never take, OUR FREEDOM!!!!

ReputationRep:
    A number of Tories, including Maude, who serves on True Blue (interesting name!), are saying that this is all designed to conform with her wishes, as if she was in a unilateral position to decide she could have a national state funeral (in all but name) and incur huge cost for it! Clearly her power continued after she 'resigned'!
    Hold the front pages, politician in stretching the truth shock... :rolleyes:

Have you never stopped to think that your level of Left-leaning is just as bad, mad, annoying and downright petty as all the right-leaning nonsense too? A pox on both your houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrumpyCat)
    The great irony being she believed in a small state.
    Irony being that she believed in privatisation.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    I couldn't see a single link between anything you claimed and reality, so I didn't bother. I still can't, in fact.

Really?

-UKIP are anti Europe, mainly on EU policies she signed for and later openly regretted.

-UKIP constantly use propoganda around council homes being filled with 'immygants', which is directly caused by Thatchers private purchase policy (which would have been fine if the money had been used to build more housing rather than line pockets)

-UKIP constantly outline the need for autarky and home grown food, which is something Thatcher policy directly destroyed

-UKIP desire a complete U turn on taxation introduced and extended by Thatcher

Please, read up on your own party some! :lol:

P.S.

I don't agree with the UKIP ideas to improve/fix these problems, but I would agree they are problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Home! The Thatcherites are too many!

Aye, protest and you may get arrested. Stay home, and you won't... though you'll watch the Tories wreck the economy...and unemployed, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the day from this days to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell the Tories, that they may take our economy, but they'll never take, OUR FREEDOM!!!!
    Would you, or another Tory hater, kindly start a thread outlining the economic policies you would like this country to operate under? All I ever see is non-constructive criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Hold the front pages, politician in stretching the truth shock... :rolleyes:

Have you never stopped to think that your level of Left-leaning is just as bad, mad, annoying and downright petty as all the right-leaning nonsense too? A pox on both your houses.
    Yeah, but not so much on Tory houses, eh?

I'm surprised, as I assumed as an opponent of fascist-style regimes like the one in NK, you might not be in favour of state political-faction propaganda actions like this one?

ReputationRep:
    Harold Wilson forced the big oil companies (against a **** storm of criticism, plots to subvert his aims, etc) to bid for their North Sea oil licenses and screwed a very large tax take out of them for the privilege of subsequent drilling. This must have been worth an incredible amount to the taxpayer over the years, well in excess of £100bn, yet still no state funeral.

This line that Maggie was some sort of miracle worker is total Tory hype, it's politics and it's bugger-all justification for what's happening.

I believe we are in the middle of some kind of soft coup, Cameron is far exceeding his constitutional role. He did so again the other day with his early recall of Parliament, the eulogy session for a dead PM is usually on the next normal Parliamentary day.

There will be more abuses of power to come like this, they aren't done. Now they've had this one accepted, they will be trying other things.
    And what did Labour spend the money on?

Welfare, PFI (which covertly lined the pockets of big business) and a voracious public sector who havn't done a proper day's work in their lives.

Labour know how to tax alright, the problem is they have absolutely no idea how to spend. Gordon Brown could have lost £8m down the back of a sofa.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see how Margaret Thatcher's funeral will make anybody any more likely to vote Tory - unless the electorate is that stupid and dim? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    I can't see how Margaret Thatcher's funeral will make anybody any more likely to vote Tory - unless the electorate is that stupid and dim? :holmes:
    It's about the current state of politics. Cameron is well behind in the polls and so he has decided to abandon (lots of other evidence for this) his brand of 'compassionate' centrist Conservatism and go back to the Nasty Party policies that Blair/Brown had critiqued and won on the back of that critique. This funeral is about re-clothing the current Tories in (now suddenly acceptable again) Thatcher dressing.

They will be using imagery from this for the next two years, quoting her constantly, seeking to portray Dave as the new Maggie, etc, etc.

I guarantee there will be a poll bounce for Cameron from the funeral alone - watch the polls in the next few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but not so much on Tory houses, eh?

I'm surprised, as I assumed as an opponent of fascist-style regimes like the one in NK, you might not be in favour of state political-faction propaganda actions like this one?
    No, equally to both. I don't care about the right, I don't care about the left, I only care that the pettiness of both makes the country look like a bunch of utterly childish morons.

It's only propaganda if you allowed yourself to be taken in by it. I view it as no more than a way to remember someone who served the country. End of story. I'm not buying in to any attempts to canonise her from one side or demonise her from another.

It's a funeral. This time next week it'll all be over and nothing will have changed. The Tories will still be unpopular, Labour will still be lead by a guy who I wouldn't back to find his own way out of a cul-de-sac and the other parties will be nothing more than a protest vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    We are.

ReputationRep:
    They are giving her the same level of funeral honours (apart from the title of the funeral) as WSC, so they ARE equating her with Churchill.

Complete Tory bull basically.
    You'll be very hard pressed to find any Tories who actually think Thatcher was on a par with Churchill. Giving her a state-funded funeral doesn't mean that they are equating her with Churchill - the Queen Mother received a state-funded funeral too. It's more a sign of how over-sentimental society has become over the last few years than an attempt to equate the two. I'm sure if Labour had a leader over the past 30 years that was adored by party members, he/she would be receiving a state-funded funeral too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    We are.
    Don't count me in your dimness! :haughty:

I wonder who'll be in power in two years time? Oh wait, either Labour or Conservative, no? The electorate never learns. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    I'm going to the theatre on Wednesday, in Whitehall. Which presents more of a risk: being killed by Thatcher supporters for not paying due respect, or being killed by rioting militant leftists?

I hope you will all pray for my safety.
    I will pray for you, noble one.

ReputationRep:
    It's about the current state of politics. Cameron is well behind in the polls and so he has decided to abandon (lots of other evidence for this) his brand of 'compassionate' centrist Conservatism and go back to the Nasty Party policies that Blair/Brown had critiqued and won on the back of that critique. This funeral is about re-clothing the current Tories in (now suddenly acceptable again) Thatcher dressing.

They will be using imagery from this for the next two years, quoting her constantly, seeking to portray Dave as the new Maggie, etc, etc.

I guarantee there will be a poll bounce for Cameron from the funeral alone - watch the polls in the next few weeks.
    If people buy the above (they won't though), why exactly is it a problem? There's no affront to democracy here. I don't think there will be any significant increased support for the Tories as a result of Thatcher's death.

Are you trying to tell me that this sort of thing is unique to the Tories? The last Labour government certainly weren't immune to PR and spin exercises.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.