Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cheap/quality USB sticks make a difference? Can they affect sound quality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I think there's some confusion here. There are two ways of getting audio from the 30pin connection at the bottom. You can get digital out (by USB) or analog line-out (via 30pin to 3.5mm jack). The USB output will not be DAC'd nor amped by the iDevice. However, if you use a 30pin-to-3.5mm line out plug, then you'll be using the iDevices DAC, but it won't be amped (so you'll use ONLY the head-units amplification).

It's much more convenient to just use the 30pin USB cable from the iDevice, as it will charge the device, display track information on the headunit and usually allow control from the headunit itself. In an environment like that, you won't hear any audible difference between using USB line-out or analog line-out.
    True, thanks, I came to realise that later

If you can't do that though, the line out should suffice offering just the DAC so the cars amp can power it.
    Chances are though, if its recent, it might have iPod connectivity so connecting by USB might be possible.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do what is most convenient for you. Unless the built in unit has some major short falls you should be satisfied enough with either going into the unit via analogue line in or USB digital . I'd just do whichever suites you the best and is the most convenient .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.