Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booyah)
    Whats the difference between locked and the other one? Just wondered if one would be slightly faster then the other...
    3570K - It's unlocked. You can change the multiplier for the clock speed to increase performace. IE overclocking

3570 -Locked. You cannot overclock. But there is a neat feature to boost the speed of your clock (to 4.1 or 4.2) when most needed.

If you plan to OC the processor then you need the 3570K. Don't bother going for an i7 as games use 2 -4 cores, no more.

The effects of a faster CPU are negligible if you don't have a good GPU (graphics card)

If you're spending £1000 on the PC, can you tell me what monitor you'll be using? I might be able to give you some better ideas on the build based on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Well some people put in sound absorbing foam inside their case................ or setting up the system to run more quietly............or getting a aftermarket cooler for the cpu which keeps the temps much cooler when it goes on load.

Locked means it can't overclocked, k version are unlocked allowing overclocking to occur
    It's a nasty idea to put foam inside your case. It's a fantastic insulator and you'll will overheat your components and ultimately reduce their lifespan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dosset)
    It's a nasty idea to put foam inside your case. It's a fantastic insulator and you'll will overheat your components and ultimately reduce their lifespan.
    There are ways around it, you don't foam up everything, its a thin foam layer pieces, who you can cut, etc to put around the sides, etc around the fans. Airflow will directed from the intakes to exhausts.

ReputationRep:
    There are ways around it, you don't foam up everything, its a thin foam layer pieces, who you can cut, etc to put around the sides, etc around the fans. Airflow will directed from the intakes to exhausts.
    The ambient temperature will still be higher. Given I can't think of a better way to quieten a rig down without a waterloop or decent case. Use a SSD so there is no rattling from the HDD, "could" reduce some noise. Perhaps a fan controller.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9d1e6P93k

No need for a cooling system!

Pretty cool thing

I don't want to be adding foam or anything like that, sounds a bit to risky for my liking as I do not know what I am doing in reality. As for screen I am currently using a 720P 42" TV screen, but I am going to be upgrading to 1080P at somepoint in the near future and having multiple screens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dosset)
    The ambient temperature will still be higher. Given I can't think of a better way to quieten a rig down without a waterloop or decent case. Use a SSD so there is no rattling from the HDD, "could" reduce some noise. Perhaps a fan controller.
    It all depends on they choose to soundproof, you can do it, without blocking the airflow and fans, then it will be perfectly fine. These days, fans connected to mobo's usually come with software to control the fans.

ReputationRep:
    Well you seem to know a lot about this topic, so I'll use the case you recommended and what is this after market cooler?

What what what? How much quicker is it? and what does that g skill ripjaws do?

EDIT: I'm a computer n00b
    the ripjaws do the same thing, i just think they're better quality, more reliable.

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/item/265527...C3?ref=gooshop

on the graphics card, they're basically the same acutallY, but the msi is better value plus better cooling as Iqbal007 said

ReputationRep:
    and if you get an SSD, just make sure it has a high read/write speed, normally over 500mb/s each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRBrown94)
    and if you get an SSD, just make sure it has a high read/write speed, normally over 500mb/s each.
    Would it be that beneficial to have an SSD?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be that beneficial to have an SSD?
    It's good to put your Operating system (get windows 7) and important stuff on or anything you want to load quickly, it will boot your computer in seconds. Then just get the 2TB HDD for let say all your games which are all becoming larger in size as things get more detailed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking about this case, can you think of anything bad? It is around £30 cheaper so it is going to cut costs down a bit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A17AS5ETPMZ9A1

Also am I going to have to buy windows 7? Or is it free on the market?

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking about this case, can you think of anything bad? It is around £30 cheaper so it is going to cut costs down a bit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A17AS5ETPMZ9A1

Also am I going to have to buy windows 7? Or is it free on the market?
    Its generally used by those cheap ebay pc "gaming" sellers...........isn't amazing, its just flashy hence the use...what about a Antec One case.

ReputationRep:
    Its generally used by those cheap ebay pc "gaming" sellers...........isn't amazing, its just flashy hence the use...what about a Antec One case.
    yea, saves £20 or so. Works for me, got this PC under £700 now

ReputationRep:
    yea, saves £20 or so. Works for me, got this PC under £700 now
    Any case that comes with lots of stock fans or space for extra fans is always good. Coolermaster's are always on to consider or xigmatec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.