Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody explain to me question 4 iii) on the June 2009 mechanics paper, don't understand it and the markscheme is useless

ReputationRep:
    The question is: A car is travelling along a straight road. It accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 15ms^-1 and maintains this speed for 10 minutes. It then decelerates uniformly to rest. If the acceleration and deceleration are 5ms^-2 and 8ms^-2 respectively, find a total journey time and total distance travelled during the journey.

Can anybody please help me with this question? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kbatch)
    Can anybody explain to me question 4 iii) on the June 2009 mechanics paper, don't understand it and the markscheme is useless
    Okay, so it's asking you for the greatest height of the object - when looking for greatest height, you need to think about the problem "vertically". So using SUVAT, start with what you know:

S= ?

U= the initial velocity of object in the vertical direction, so using trig. 4ii) tells you that cos a = 0.28, so on a calculator do cos^-1(0.28) = 73.739... which is the angle of the projectile. Then do sin(73.739..) = 0.96. Now multiply that by the initial velocity to give you the vertical component of velocity: (32 x 0.96) ms^-1

V= 0 ms^-1 because particle is instantaneously at rest at its greatest height.

A= -9.8 ms^-2 - gravity is acting downwards, opposite the direction of motion

So now use v^2 = u^2 + 2as, and sub in your values:
    0 = (32x0.96)^2 + (2 x -9.8 x s)
    s = 48.1 m

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_dragon)
    The question is: A car is travelling along a straight road. It accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 15ms^-1 and maintains this speed for 10 minutes. It then decelerates uniformly to rest. If the acceleration and deceleration are 5ms^-2 and 8ms^-2 respectively, find a total journey time and total distance travelled during the journey.

Can anybody please help me with this question? Thanks
    You could draw a speed time graph and find the area underneath it which would give you the displacement/distance travelled

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me, I need help on the june 2008 paper, Q7) iv). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Getting more anxious about this exam now

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone know what cpt means on the mark schemes?

ReputationRep:
    One thing id say to remember is that on nearly every question which includes pulleys and tension, they nearly always ask why is the tension the same on each side of the pulley/ in both strings. its only ever worth maximum two marks but comes up so often and its a proper easy two marks its nearly 100% of the time because either the pulley is smooth or the string is light dont mention if it is in equilibrium because according to examiners reports that isnt sufficient

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared

ReputationRep:
    so stressed about this exam trying to go through past papers but can't do any of it been so focused on my other exams completely forgot about M1 if anyone has any notes which could help me or anybody who has done a past paper and has workings on how to do the questions could they please send them to me anything is helpful so so worried

ReputationRep:
    I find the best way to revise is by just doing paper after paper, you get a good feel for them and see how the questions are! I find doing past papers is the best way to do well!Even if you do the past paper and have a copy of the mark scheme near by to guide you through it!

ReputationRep:
    I have found these documents very useful for my OCR MEI maths exams, you should check them out http://www.mathsbox.org.uk/extras.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awilson94)
    I have found these documents very useful for my OCR MEI maths exams, you should check them out http://www.mathsbox.org.uk/extras.html
    I love you for these!
    Absolutely dreading the exam.
    I love the pure maths, but I'm not a fan of applied modules in all honesty :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_dragon)
    I love you for these!
    Absolutely dreading the exam.
    I love the pure maths, but I'm not a fan of applied modules in all honesty :/
    They've helped me so much, print the M1 out and have it next to you whilst working through past papers, you can use them as a guidance and they are really helpful! You'll be fine! you just need to practise, then you'll get the just of how the questions work! Then you'll get the hang of it and it'll come naturally to you! If you need any help just pm me

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any websites with practice questions for M1?
    I've done nearly all of the papers and I still always struggle on section B, I can get near 100% on section A but the longer questions usually get me

ReputationRep:
    i need a C to hopefully get an A in this. im absolutely sht at mechanics :eek3::dunce::zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea what N2L means in the mark scheme?
    And thanks loua96, that was really helpful! x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea what N2L means in the mark scheme?
    And thanks loua96, that was really helpful! x
    No problem :awesome:

And it means Newton's 2nd Law: F=ma x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stuck on June 2010, question 7 part i, don't understand what it means? :/ Wish the markschemes were more useful!!

ReputationRep:
    Stuck on June 2010, question 7 part i, don't understand what it means? :/ Wish the markschemes were more useful!!
    When t = 0, y = 12.
    The greatest height it reaches at any point is 16.
    16-12 = 4.
    So the greatest displacement above the position at t = 0 is 4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.